Question re: Magical Mystery Tour EP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave B, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently won a copy of the Parlophone Magical Mystery Tour EP on Ebay. It's in excellent shape. The cover is clean and straight, the booklet is intact and still attached. The discs still have the spindle inserts and appear to be unplayed. There is even an extra label for the Blue Jay Way side! My question is how can I tell when this was produced? The discs have (p) 1967 on the labels but I assume there have been reissues. Does anyone know how to determine an original copy from a later reissue?

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Couldn't it be from the original vinyl EP Collection?

3. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Brad, the earliest pressings had a light blue lyric insert, later pressings had yellow.

4. Dave B

That's very possible Brad, it's far too pristine to be an original copy. Does anyone know of good way to tell? Any info in the dead wax? The lyric pages are blue. I don't know how many times this EP was reissued by EMI. I assume that like most Beatles products there have been several reissues. I'm not really concerned. The price I paid was reasonable. I'm just interested to get more information.

5. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Just as another data point, the stereo copy I had from the mid 1970s had solid disks (small spindle hole, no punchout bits) and the cover had a "STEREO" sticker.

6. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

IF it is a re-issue, it would not have the "Sold in the UK' info below the spindle hole.

Attached Files:

7. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I also believe first pressing of the EP's were in black paper sleeves, later pressing they were in white. Of coarse that isn't full proof, it's the records that count.

8. Dave B

The labels look similar but do not have the sold in the UK info. So, as expected, these are reissues. Thanks for the information.

9. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have a mid 1970s with solid disks (small spindle hole, no punchout bits) and black paper sleeves. No sticker on the cover though.

10. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Sheesh. I get an almost Pavlovian reaction just looking at that pic of the label.

Question: Does the mono EP have the extra two notes at the start of Walrus? The stereo one does. Don't suppose it has the extra bit in the middle (like the U.S. single)?

11. I have a mid 1970s and it has punchouts. I bought it brand new in around 1976.

Here it is.

Attached Files:

12. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

This was imorted fairly regularly through the early 80's. I have a copy from 1982, purchased new and it has the punch out labels and black sleeves.

13. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My Magical Mystery Tour mono CD has the 2 extra notes and so does the vinyl EP mono, as far as I know. The "extra bit in the middle" is unique to the U.S. mono (both on the single and the mono pressing of the MMT album), I believe.

14. Just the single. Capitol Canada released it as well.

I have a two Canadian MMT LPs, one stereo and one mono, both on the black rainbow Capitol label. "I Am The Walrus" on the mono LP is the standard version. The intro has four bars. There are no extra notes between "I'm cryyyyyin'" and "Yellow matter custard...".

The matrix number ends in -2. This album has a small "cut-out" hole punched in the bottom right corner of the LP jacket. So, I figure this is a late 1968 or early 1969 pressing. (In mid 1969 Capitol changed their label to the green target.) IIRC, this is around the time that Capitol starting relegating their mono LPs to the delete/cut-out bins.

BTW, I have 2 copies of the original Canadian mono 7 inch single, on Capitol. This version has the standard intro with the extra beats after "I'm Cryyyyin...".

I also have an original mono U.K. 7 inch single. It is the standard version, no extras. Blows the doors off of the Canadian single. The U.K. single was cut louder and has an all around better sound. Good bass and mid-range.

Attached Files:

15. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Mono CD/EP only has the four beat intro....

I've just checked my mono US album - four beats! No "bit in the middle" either!

Don't think a six beat mono ever existed!

Nobby

16. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Thanks for the correction, guys. I shoulda listened to my LP before I posted. I confused it with the "Rarities" version with the 6 beats AND the middle 4.

I haven't heard the UK single, but the CD EP mono version is much better than any stereo version I've heard, IMO. John's voice cuts right through all the instrumentation and the bass is solid. Also the part where the BBC broadcasts are added is not in fake stereo!

17. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member

How does this copy sound? Did you ever compare it to any other pressings?

18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It should sound the same; it's the same stamper number (my old and 70's versions match at least).

19. Sanfi4u

Sanfi4u Senior Member

Thanks, Steve. I have MMT German 2nd press and I really like how it sounds. Is there any reason for searching UK Mono or Stereo orig (70s re?) Parlophone? Let's forget about collector passion (if it's ever possible;) ). I mean for the sake of the sound only.

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

None whatsoever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.