Question Re: The Song Remains the Same DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RockDude4492, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Question for all you Zep fans out there. While it slightly pales in comparison to the Led Zeppelin DVD with the Albert Hall concert, The Song Remains the Same is, in my opinion, still a mandatory viewing experience for any Zeppelin fan, and, at the very least, contains high-quality footage of Zeppelin arguably at the peak of their power (this despite the fact the band was at the end of a long, arduous trek through America).

As you are all aware, there are 2 DVD versions of The Song Remains the Same, one with the original version of the audio track and the now-widely-available 2007 version with the remixed audio track. Do any of you guys own both? In your opinion, is it worth it to own both, if only for the different mixes of the music contained within? And, if you do own both, which one do you find yourself going back to most. At the moment, I only own the 2007, but as a Zeppelin obsessive, I'm toying with the idea of picking up the older DVD and I'm curious what the rest of you think.

2. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I think Jimmy's guitar is mixed a little more aggressively on the 2007 disk. Other than that I don't think they are radically different.

3. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was under the impression via the Garden Tapes that they were more substantially different (i.e. Different guitar solos, vocal bits, etc.). I found a sealed copy of the original 1999 DVD for $10 so I grabbed it. It supposedly arrived today but I probably won't get a chance to look at it until Thursday.

4. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Not sure if anything in the movie is actually changed besides the audio mix. I think the original soundtrack CDs have some differences vs. the film. The remastered CDs that came out with the 2007 DVD/Bluray match what is in the movie IIRC. Basically you need everything if you want all the differences :)

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I have both the original DVD and the 2007 version, and I vastly prefer the 2007 for sound and picture quality. Every time I start to watch the older DVD, I get kinda fed up with it. There's a particularly clumsy edit in the middle of "Dazed And Confused" that annoys me every time I've watched it. It's like a chunk was taken out of the performance and it's really obvious.

The only problem is, I like having the original version of the film - the 2007 is such a huge revision. It'd be nice if the 2007 contained the original cut of the film as a bonus, but with comparable sound/picture quality to the 2007.

The original DVD also does not have a 5.1 mix and the sound is unspectacular to say the least.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I traded up my DVD for the Blu-ray! It is marginally better, but still better! :righton:

7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I read somewhere that for the 2007 release, the actual film couldn't be changed for legal reasons but the soundtrack was fair game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.