Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Where Are You?" (1957 album)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 13, 2010.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I have a set of CD samples posted. LPs should be up in the next day or two, but this at least gives us a starting point for discussion. Much more to follow.

Click here.

Matt

PS - does anybody have the Alan Dell 1984 reissue LP? Or a "D1" sample? If so, please PM me.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    eno789 and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think Matt really needs a D1 mono LP drop. I'm not equipped to do it myself from my copy. It's a really good sounding record.

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt, I should add that when Capitol was running the separate mono/stereo setups, it is my understanding that the stereo setup for a session was still prepared by the primary engineer. However, since (in this case) John Kraus couldn't be in two places at once, a second engineer would be assigned to then oversee things in the secondary (stereo) room after the initial setup, etc., during the session.

This is contrary to some of my earliest postings I remember making regarding such things in the archives, though I think I followed up later on to correct.

joshm2286 likes this.
  4. MLutthans

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Matt. Thank you for all of you hard work.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  6. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Matt, I'll second that. Your website is a wonderful resource. :righton:

(Clever, too. I'm still chuckling at the Car 54 tie-in.)

Simon A likes this.
  7. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

Thanks again, Matt. A masterful exploration of WAY?.

Ben (bgilberti) has expressed, in the past, the most dissatisfaction with the NR used on the 3 disc Capitol Years box. To your ears, Ben, is Matt correct in assuming that the '91 Walsh WAY? has the same amount of noise reduction as the 3 disc set?

8. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Thanks again Matt. You're doing great work and I'm making good use of the recommendations. I have a D2 Where Are You.

9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Matt, can't confirm for Where are You?, but I had always thought that Love is the Thing was done in Studio A not B.

10. MLutthans

OK, that's what I always thought, too, but wasn't studio B the one with the dark floor tiles and dark paint on the lower walls, and studio A the one with the light tile and lighter paint?

See [MOD: Dead links removed].

I don't know; I'm asking.

Matt

McLover likes this.
  11. MLutthans

Also, I seem to recall reading that TONE POEMS OF COLOR, with 56 musicians, was recorded in studio B, so it's certainly possible that Jenkins' orchestra -- not nearly that large -- could have used it, as well. Again, I don't know for a fact, but am going off of photos with the 1957 stuff.

12. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

As always...AWESOME WORK! Love the Car 54 pic. LOL!

13. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

I don't know either. I've never paid attention to things like paint and tile color.

The empty room is studio A, and the other image is B from a Tone Poems session.

Attached Files:

joshm2286 likes this.
  14. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

It was the first recording in the brand new Capitol Tower (February 1956). Construction of Studio A was not yet complete, so they had to squeeze into Studio B. :) Here's a photo:

[​IMG]
    Source: mptv Images

[Sorry for the image duplication; overlapped with Jordan.]

15. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Thanks for posting the image without the MPTV logo, Bob. A much better look.

16. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

View from the control booth:

[​IMG]
    Source: mptv Images

17. MLutthans

Unless I'm mistaken, that session (the photos shown above, from 1956) produced the photo that was the basis for the WHERE ARE YOU cover painting, so at least the cover painting for WHERE ARE YOU is from Studio B!

18. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

You're not mistaken, Matt.

19. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

That much, at the very least, is correct.

Part of the problem with identifying the Cole photo is that when it was included in the Bear Family box I labeled it as being from the Love is the Thing sessions. It is definitely with Jenkins and I did not think it as late as 1958 (The Very Thought of You.) Obviously, I could very well have been wrong about that.

20. MLutthans

Chris ("apileocole") confirmed for me a while back that it is, indeed, from LOVE IS THE THING, which would be, what -- January of '57? And the Sinatra sessions were in March?

Matt

21. MLutthans

I've compared those Nat Cole photos with some shots with Dean Martin taken in Studio A, and I think the only reason the tiles appear darker is the use or non-use of flash, variations in exposure on the film, etc. I'll remove the "studio B" reference from the web pages until we know for certain.

22. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The stereo LP samples sound like they are playing in mono.

23. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

The mono may have one more song, but I I like how this album sounds in stereo.

The mono sounds more pinched and possibly compressed? On the U.K. mono album, Sinatra's voice hits a sort of dynamic ceiling on his big notes, whereas on the stereo they soar.

I also think this is also one of Gordon Jenkins' best arranging efforts for Sinatra, and his lovely strings really glisten when heard across the stereo soundfield.

McLover, Sim2 and drew phillips like this.
  24. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Oh, you're talking about the *album* Where Are You?

The thread title misled me. ;)

25. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Those 'I Cover The Waterfront" mono samples are interesting.

The MFSL sounds really natural and nice, the best of them all.
    The D10 pressing is alright, except for some unattractive midrange 'honk.'
    The Walsh CD sounds slightly synthetic.
    The less said about the Norberg, the better.
    British box set sounds harsh. Same for the Japanese CD, with an added metallic quality.

The green label SN is Duophonic? It sounds more like re EQ'd fake stereo to me, and switching it into mono doesn't reveal any more Duophonic trademarks. Pity, because from what I could tell, the stereo 'WAY' from the SN pressing sounds good (even here, playing in mono) it may wind up my favorite.

McLover and joshm2286 like this.