Question regarding HARRY NILSSON "Son Of Schmilsson" CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rob LoVerde, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member Thread Starter

Hey gang,

Can anybody help me with this? See, I was in Tower Records today, and I wanted to pick this CD up. It was released in 1987 on RCA, mastered by Joe Lopes. I can say that the only thing that prevented me from making the purchase is that I saw an ADD SPARS code on the paperwork. A digital remix was done of this album? I was curious if anyone knows for sure...sometimes those SPARS codes could be totally wrong...for instance my original MCA CDs of the Steely Dan albums read ADD and I KNOW those are from the original mixes.

Anyway, if Steve or anyone else knows, I'd really appreciate the help. I would love to hear this album...never heard it before...and I'd hate for my first listen to be of a digital remix...

Thanks all!!

2. Steven

Steven Senior Member

3. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Sure would like to see the movie again. Was at the premere in Scottsdale, Arizona.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

You're talking about Son Of DRACULA, NOT Son OF Shmillson!
    Son OF Shmillson CD is horrible.

5. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Yeah, Son of Dracula has only surfaced briefly as a Japanese CD release, and while it contains little if anything not otherwise available, fetches big bucks on ebay these days...

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I sure seemed dinked off in that thread. I agree with everything I said though.

7. Alan T

Alan T Senior Member

Hey wait a second - there was a movie that tied in with that LP. Harry and Ringo starred in it. Hasn't been seen since its short run in theaters in the mid 70’s.

8. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Yeah, I have a dubbed video of it, and it's hardly worth seeing, except that it is interesting to see Harry moving around since there weren't many music videos in the days he was recording. I'm not sure if it was ever officially released on video.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

hey, it ain't great, but ya gotta love the tune

" You're Breaking My Heart "

"You're breakin' my heart, it's tearing me apart so ...k ...u" ;)

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Back in the good old days, hearing "You're Breaking My Heart" just about killed me!:laugh:

I would pick this up if you're a Nilsson completist.

Evan

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Find the vinyl. The CD is worthless.

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

ohhhh. The CD is worthless, the album is not worthless.....

now I get it....

:-jon

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yes indeed! Harry Nilsson music is never worthless.

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

That's what I meant, too. I LOVE the album. The CD, however, is a disgrace. I don't even own it, just play the LP for now.

15. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Harry's discography seems like a minefield. I was listening to Nilsson Schmilsson (Camden?) last night and wished for better sound.

16. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Oh, danger! that's the worst version ever released. Horrible sounding!

The MFSL is great. The new Japanese remaster is much nicer than most versions. Try to find one of these CD's or nice vinyl.

Save your money kids, don't buy the Camden CD's. They're total crap. i've spent way too much money on them. Don't make the same mistake.

17. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Actually, it was a step up from my original 8-track version, but I won't go there :D.

18. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

I agree with everything you said too. And you can be dinked all you want! That was some funny stuff! LOL :0)

19. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Just got in from the local used vinyl shop! Picked up a very nice LSP-4515 Nilsson Schmilsson & a very nice AYL1-3812 Son of Schmilsson.

The shop is moving a few miles away and has a $1 per LP sale :thumbsup: I spent a couple of hours and, hey how much do trailers cost? Seriously, I'm fillin' in lots of holes, wish they had more harry.

Edit: Went back and found a Nilsson sings Newman LP, quite different but I don't mind checking out Newman's music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.