Question regarding upgraded power cable compatibility.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by George Blair, Feb 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm sure this is a basic electronic question, but I'm not even at that level. So, why does my Yamaha A-S1000 (and the whole A-S series I believe) have two prong input and output on the power cable? I ask this because I might like to upgrade the cable, and all cables available seem to be three prong on both ends. Why is this, and would it cause problems to switch out one for the other?

2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Your amp is probably insulated in a manner that unless in unsafe condition or tempered with , there is no risk for you as the user.

Appliance classes - Wikipedia

If the three prong plug fits having the earth connection on the cable will not cause you any problem. If the new cable has a metal shield it will still send any interference captured in the air back to the earth connection in your electricity supply.

Scratcha likes this.
  3. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

It's a different approach in design, to eliminate or subdue possible ground loops in your system.
    You can still install an upgraded PC, no worries.
    Get intouch with Cullen Cable or Ice Age Audio; very good cables at a decent price.

George Blair likes this.
  4. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

3-prong power cords are simply not required. Yamaha is one of the few companies to quite going with the flow and get real. Their plugs are polarized and that is all you need for any indoor, normal home environment.

BTW, you can use a 3 prong cord on it, it just will not have a ground in use. It will fit the IEC socket.

Gibsonian, Scratcha and George P like this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for the Cullen Cable recommendation. Can you say how the Red Copper series compares to the more expensive cables that they sell?

Scratcha likes this.
  6. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

You can do it but the main benefit of grounding the chassis is not there. They likely have double insulation or something to prevent the hot from contacting the chassis. If it did and not grounded it would be energized and if touched you would conduct current.

Do they tie the N to the chassis?
    Is that why they polarized the plug?
    If that is the case grounding the chassis may set up a ground loop.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    fish and Scratcha like this.
  7. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I can’t comment on the Cullen Cables, they seem well made with good parts. To me in general (for interconnects and possibly speaker cables and power cords) silver kind of leans toward more clarity, possibly a slight “brighter” tendency? Not really certain tho. ICs with silver plated or pure silver wires sound very clear to me. Not that copper can’t sound clear ... and possibly here I’d admit ambiguity. But I have heard better Sonics with better ICs, speaker cables, and lately power cords.

My favorite/recommendation in all 3 is currently Analysis Plus, although my pre (SS) and SS amp use Shunyata Venom cords. My 300B tube amps use AP (the ~$130 ones). I have balanced silver IC (not AP, an older small business $100 cable but well made, silver wire with Teflon insulation) from CD to pre, and copper AP ICs and speaker cables elsewhere.

Shunyata Research Venom 14 Power Cord Preamp, power amp uses older 12ga Venom 3)

Analysis Plus Pro Power Oval Mk II Power Cord – The Cable Company
    Analysis Plus Oval One Interconnect (Pair) – The Cable Company (RCAs to 300B amps)
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro Interconnect (Pair) – The Cable Company (XLRs to A 21 amp)

Might be a synergy thing, but my system has never sounded better, more resolving, or musical.

Slippers-on and Scratcha like this.
  8. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

I'm using a Red Copper PC on my DAC, by recommendation from Patrick Cullen.
    Shoot him an email; see what he recommends for your equipment.
    Great guy to do business with!

Rick58 and George P like this.
  9. As you’re someone who I’m pretty sure believes/hears differences in power cords I’m surprised you’d recommend a three-prong cord where the ground isn’t used - wouldn’t that ‘throw off’ the intended design of the cable and make it not sound as good (compared to a two-prong cord)?

10. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I use Analysis Plus power cords and also their interconnects. I have the A+ Power Oval 2 MKII. It’s an excellent power cord. But you’ve listed the PRO power oval MK II which isn’t really recommended for audiophile systems.

11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Says who?

So they put it in the “pro audio/video” section, still has all the attributes I want.

I think my 8W SET amps won’t stress these cords too much, but thanks for being concerned.

Pro Power Oval MK II - Analysis Plus Seems well suited to any system to me, if not “audiophile” enough for you, I can live with that.

12. Slippers-on

Didn’t mean to be contentious..wasn’t my aim. You certainly have the right to use the cable for whatever you prefer. I’ve borrowed the Pro version before and returned it. It was unsatisfactory. Afterwards also, I talked to Mark Markel, the owner of Analysis Plus about his product and asked him about the pro version versus the audiophile version. His pro versions of all cables are for musical instruments and amps so he markets to that crowd whereas the home versions of his cables are constructed much differently and marketed for the audiophile. Lots of cables companies have an Pro version and audiophile version of cables...Wireworld is another that comes to mind that has two versions. It’s listed on their websites.

Rick58 likes this.
  13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Whatever, but I think my 300B amps sound better than ever with these, just upgraded from stock generic cords.

Maybe in several years I might entertain upgrading again but I doubt it. If so I might even get another pro version ... :winkgrin:

14. Slippers-on

Rick58 likes this.
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Thanks, I had no idea really there was that ‘distinction’. I just bought them off the cableco web page and will continue to use them for most of my cable needs. I obviously saw “pro” in the name but thought nothing of it.

Slippers-on likes this.
  16. Slippers-on

No problem. I’ve used the PRO version of the Power Oval as well as the audiophile version. 2 totally different power cords. I purchased the audiophile version of The Power Oval 2 MKII. It’s a wonderful power cord. I also have the Triode Wire Labs power Cords, the Analysis Plus Power Oval 10 power cords and the WireWorld power cords. I’ve also his Analysis Plus Silver Apex inter connects and the Solo Crystal Oval interconnects, as well as the Oval One interconnects. And the Analysis Plus Low Mass Oval phono cables and my favorite WireWorld Platnium Eclipse Phono cables. All these cables are excellent and work well depending what gear is in place. If you like the PRO version, the audiophile version will amaze you.:)

17. fish

fish Senior Member

My Marantz has no ground in the IEC either. Doesn’t matter. You can use any grounded power cord, the one they ship with it does!

Touchy subject, bleeding in shark infested waters. If I was Mrs DiFranco I’d just say I’d pull out my tampon and go splashing around...but I’m not.

The difference PCs can make with some amps makes no sense. It’s second to speaker cables! I’ve listened to so many! My buddy has auditioned literally thousands of Dollars in Power Cords. It’s not all about price. Lucky to have listened to many. But I’ve only used a few types in many years because they just Always Sound right. Every amp has always sounded best with a Kimber Gold to me. Everything Else mostly uses Harmonic Tech AC10’s. My favorite PC! Best with Preamps and powering PS Audio Juice Bars that powers everything else. Except the Amp which always goes into a Hubble or Watgates wall socket. I stop there, not chasing that rabbit.
    Most other PCs get thinner or brighter or sound bland-neutral like the stock cords usually do. Nothing “better going on here” but some actually are better with Improved wide frequency range, tighter imaging/faster, quiet. Once you find it you’ll have it forever.

And some components won’t give a rats tuchus what cord you use! It’ll always just basically sound the same. Ive only had a few that were like that. Two Peter McAlister products. Just didn’t care. Didn’t care about tubes either. Never change much at al to matter! I changed OPTs on them. THAT made a change lol but not power cords so much. Small return.
    Actually Most tube gear I’ve had didn’t care about Power Cords while most CDPs and DACs have. My experience. Subwoofers never cared much either. but in all cases the Harmonic Technology foundation I use improves the presentation on the whole for sure. Take them out and the system looses out. Money well spent since I’ve used many cables for well over a decade and still going. A good cable will always be a good cable till it starts to rot.

I’ve heard stupid expensive cords. Most sound better usually but return on cost is very low. Depends where You draw the cost line. What it’s worth to you.
    But what I have noticed is that there is little in between cheap and not-cheap. If it’s cheaper (BJC) than usually the stock cord is good enough in comparison unless-you just want cool looking audio jewelry. In other words either spend it or forget it, unless you wear jewelry not that there’s anything wrong with that!
    My cords are nothing to look at, no jewelry going on. Cost to some maybe high though, or not. But I’m more comfortable spending it on PCs than ICs. (that’ll cause a frenzy!)

Kimber
    Harmonic Tech
    Analysis Plus
    Synergistic Research
    Are a few PC brands I’ve owned or would but don’t currently.

ThorensSme and Rick58 like this.
  18. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

OMG ... I think my CDP might still have its generic cord. :yikes:

My Bottlehead 300Bs like their new AP PRO cords, may be time for my Cambridge 840C to get one :D

What cord would you recommend? Please <$300 ... seems to rule out Harmonic Technology.

I guess AP is “only” $250 Analysis Plus Power Oval 10 Power Cord – The Cable Company but geez 10ga for a <1 amp load? Seems a bit silly.

19. fish

fish Senior Member

Exactly, some care some don’t.
    Pioneer Elite integrated could care less.
    Demon SACD could care less what you used.
    Decware SET dramatically changes! Rather fussy in my opinion.
    Decware Pre didn’t too care much.
    Arcam FMJ I currently have opened up with a better cord, quite a bit.
    Van Alstine 12AU7 pre changed a little.
    Scott Nixon 12AX7s dramatic differences.
    Meridian CDP was dramatic again.
    McIntosh MA not so much but noticeable.
    Bryston 7 pre could care less what you used.
    Marantz Reference, a little bit. Not allot.
    And so on... you never know.

buy USED!

Rick58 likes this.
  20. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Please re-read the OP's and my post. I don't see anywhere in my post a recommendation for either two or three prong.
    I have merely responded the actual question from the OP which was whether it would cause any problem using a three prong cable because that's all he can get, he has no other option.

While the third prong is not going to be connected to the unit, it will still be connected to the earth of the wall socket.

The cheapest audiophile cables often don't have metal shielding. The ones that offer a metal shielding will still make good use of the third prong even if not used by the unit.

That is because power cable shielding is normally connected to the earth prong -only- on the plug going to the wall.

That will send any RFI trying to get into the cable to earth and thus giving you cleaner power at the IEC end of the cable despite not using the earth on that end.

Rick58 and fish like this.
  21. George Blair

Thanks for this concise explanation, it makes sense to me now. :righton:

Rick58 likes this.
  22. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Audioquest has the NRG X2.

Rick58 likes this.
  23. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

If you recall, what PC are you using on that? I actually did buy a used synergistic research interconnect years ago, and then after a while the LED indicating the bias voltage went out on one of them. The wall wart was fine, so I figured a wire broke inside but didn’t take things apart. I then disconnected the other one (too). It actually sounds better to me without the bias voltage. Anyway I sort of would rather not buy used, but I guess if it’s a high-quality cord and twice as expensive as I want to spend that is an option.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  24. George Blair

Ah, interesting this is a two prong cable. Anyone have experience with this cable?

25. fish

fish Senior Member

But that wont fit in a Yamaha or Marantz. It would fit in my Mac mini. Hummmmm. I friend bought a Crazy good PSU made in Europe. He had to send his new Mini to them and have the boards PSU bypassed and setup to accept this 25 pound Iron monster! Cost more than the Apple Mini itself. It made a difference although at a low return on cost.

This is what my Marantz looks like:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.