Questions for fans of the Death Note anime.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by acemachine26, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I just binge watched the entire Death Note anime series in 4 days and loved it although there were a few things that I couldn't get my head around:

1. Why did Light kill so many of his victims by heart attacks? He only deviated from his M.O. a few times which created a pattern that was noticed by L, the cops and eventually even the public. His killing spree would have lasted for many more years if he had done that.

2. Does the Death Note have an infinite number of pages? Light and the others who had possession of it kept writing names in it for years yet it never seemed to run out of pages. It was quite a thin book to begin with so that was quite confusing.

2. I've just finished watching the series and all I can say is... Wow!

3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Remember, Light wanted people to know that he was the killer, because he saw himself as the "god" of this world. He basically wanted everyone to know that if they acted up he could kill them, ruling and keeping the peace through fear.

Not sure about the second point. Dont remember what happens once you run out. I mean you could come up with a lot of little problems like what if your handwriting is garbage? What if you switch names or never got one to begin with? Or like whats stopping them from erasing a name and writing over it?

Pretty good anime. At least until chapter 24 or whichever it was, dont want to spoil but I think you know what I mean ;^)
    One of the more easily accepted for viewers outside Japan. Too bad Netflix made a ****ty live action adaptation.
    Any future ones on the watchlist?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    acemachine26 likes this.
  4. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Ask Me Anything

acemachine26 and Leonthepro like this.
  5. The first 15-20 episodes are riveting and like nothing I had ever seen before. It's an ingenious premise, which is why Hollywood wanted to adapt it.

There are also Japanese live-action movie adaptations if you want more concise storytelling.

acemachine26 likes this.
  6. acemachine26

Im guessing you're team Light?

7. Leonthepro

What gave him away? ;^)

But whats on the watchlist chief? Need any recommendations?

acemachine26 likes this.
  8. Leonthepro

Well like he asked, what happens if you run out of space to write?

9. BlueGangsta

I'm team JUSTICE.

Just write over previous writings.

acemachine26 likes this.
  10. Leonthepro

So you can write over the graphite or inc and still kill? What if you put a normal paper over tge deadnote page, youre still writing over the deathnote.

11. BlueGangsta

Ryuk said it must be on the actual paper.

12. acemachine26

I actually have quite a few series on my watchlist:
    One Punch Man
    Steins Gate
    Code Geass
    Samurai Champloo
    Berserk
    Parasyte
    Monster
    Ergo Proxy
    Psycho Pass
    Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

Currently watching Cowboy Bebop and like it a lot. The music from the series is great too. Although I have to say I absolutely hated Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. It really wasn't my cup of tea.

Would love more recommendations if you have any. I prefer Seinen anime/manga over Shounen stuff.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  13. acemachine26

I was team Light for the first few episodes until SPOILER ALERT: he killed all those FBI agents including Raye Penber and his fiancee. The way he taunted Raye's fiancee Naomi Misora before her death made me absolutely hate him. Since then I was team L all the way and then team Near.

14. Leonthepro

Well my Favorite is Evangelion with the end of eva movie. Not sure if thats your cup either though.

acemachine26 likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

Right so if you write over the previous writing then its not the actual book, its the graphite or inc on the book.

16. That's a pretty good list of anime. If you have any familiarity with the magical girl trope so common in Japan, you have to see Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Don't read much about it, the show should be experienced with as little information as possible.

Coming off the high of Death Note, check out Fate/Zero.

acemachine26 likes this.
  17. acemachine26

I vaguely remember one of the Shinigami saying that he has to wait until the current owner dies or till the all the pages are filled up. By that logic I assume that there aren't an infinite number of pages. At the same time I doubt Light would've been careless enough to tear out so many pages if there were only a small finite amount to begin with.

Leonthepro likes this.
  18. acemachine26

I'll check it out thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.