Questions for Steve and other Shure V15VxMR users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gardo, Jul 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist Thread Starter

So Steve, fold or crumple? Er, that's not right....

Do you use the cart with the brush up or down? And what's your tracking force?

Inquiring minds!:)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sometimes I use the brush up, sometimes down.

Tracking force? Just under the max.

BUT EVERY ARM IS DIFFERENT!

3. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Goodness gracious! We agree again!

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Also we agree on "Goodness, Gracious Me". One of my favorites!

5. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I have mine at 1.1 grams (1.6 -.5) with the brush down.
    I leave the brush down all the time (almost). Played with both but like the set it and leave it with the brush down.

I've been cleaning it with the Disc Doctor stylus cleaner, brush and fluid.

6. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Yeah, I've read that, too, and I'd do something about it if I thought it was doing something/anything wrong. It's the original stylus. BTW, I use the brush, and track at 1.5g. I also set VTA on the fly by raising or lowering the platter on my VPI 19jr. Perhaps the stabilizing brush has contributed to its long life. Beats me. For some reason I've been spinning Roger Waters Amused To Death this afternoon. The bomb drop is scary. The barking dogs make my dogs bark. The warm woody tones blah blah blah. What more could I want? More time to listen to music. If it ain't broke, ignorance is bliss.

7. 7_V

7_V New Member

I have one of these cartridges but the stylus is broken. Is there a recommended stylus?

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

VN5xMR. I think earlier models that were different v15 types require certain styli.

www.shure.com

Contact them and they can steer you correctly.

9. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Oh Doctor, I'm in trouble!...

10. sgraham

sgraham New Member

If you are talking about Shure, contact them. They have a replacement program that's a good deal, if you're eligible.

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

What does the front of your replacement (*aHEM*) stylus say? Mine say VN5MR. I have the original V15V cartridge body...bought it the month it came out, and have been happily tracking with it since...what, 1983 or 1984? Tried one or two other carts, even a Dynavector, but they all tracked horribly compared to the V15. In fact, the MR (Micro Ridge) stylus wasn't even available at first--the "HE" (Hyper Elliptical) was the best you could get when the "Type V" cartridge debuted. (Replacement was VN5HE.) The only other stylus I knew of was the 78RPM stylus for this cartridge...it has probably long since been discontinued. Never bought it, since I have an old M44-7 Shure to play those with.

Heck, my original cartridge is so old, I can even remember when they were putting serial #s on the front of the stylus holder. ;)

$50 will replace a broken VN5MR...I probably have three or four around here somewhere. ;)

12. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I have the 78 stylus and it's pretty nice. I believe you are right, though, it's been replaced by one that is "generic" in that it fits several models, and tracks a bit heavier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.