Questions re Pioneer PLX-1000 set-up

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Nubben, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Are you talking about the azimuth of your arm mount or the setting your Jelco headshell had when you received it?

2. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

The arm mount. There's a mm or 2 wiggle room to adjust with the Pioneer. I needed just beyond that which the Jelco allowed.

3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Setting VTF to zero and using Ortofon 2M with Jelco HS25 headshell, my bubble headshell level says it's horizontal using only the stock rubber mat. No need for the slip mat underneath it unless I want my cart to run tail down. Of course only if my bubble level is trustworthy which I can't assess.

33na3rd likes this.
  4. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

You can test your bubble level by placing it on a surface and rotating the level. If the bubble settles in the same place, it's reliable. If the bubble moves with the rotation, it's suspect. Don't be surprised if it moves a little, if it moves a lot--replace it.

punkmusick likes this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Don't forget that the idea of getting the cartridge level for setting VTA is only an approximate starting point. Try raising and lowering to different setting and then listening to some material you know well, especially with vocals. In general terms going higher causes the highs to increase and the bass to decrease. Going low will cause the opposite. However, with advanced stylus cuts such as a shibata or microline/line contact/SAS, there will be a sweet spot that will vary depending on the accuracy of the manufacturing, etc. For example, I've seen some folks say they get the best sound out of their 2M Black with it slightly tail down whereas others say tail up. You need to discover what sounds best on your system. I find my 2M's sound best slightly tail down, but my OM40 slightly tail up for example.

33na3rd and punkmusick like this.
  6. punkmusick

Thanks. It passed the test.

33na3rd likes this.
  7. punkmusick

When my 2M Black was brand new, I found the need to run it tail down, and quite a bit, not only slightly. I used two 4mm rubber mats and set VTA to -0,5 (you know, minimum VTA in the PLX-1000 is a little below zero) to get better results. Not that I had used it for almost one month and it had broken in, it's sounding much better with the rubber mat only and VTA to zero.

8. Luis Correia

Luis Correia Active Member

Hi. New to this group but also a PLX 1000 owner for three years now.

My unit has never had a problem and the arm bearings are perfect. Really like this TT. I am using a ticker rubber mat I got from Juno store and using a Nagaoka mp-110 cart.

I get a kick out of people saying this is just a Chinese knock off... without even trying it.

Why are you guys using stacked mats? What is the objective?

Cheers

bluemooze, 33na3rd and punkmusick like this.
  9. punkmusick

To "decrease" VTA below the zero point. I found it useful when my shibata stylus was brand new, now that it broke in I'm back using only the stock rubber mat.

HiFi Guy and 33na3rd like this.
  10. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Just as @4011021 said.

Some of us have short cartridges and would rather stack mats than use headshell spacers.

HiFi Guy and punkmusick like this.
  11. punkmusick

By the way I see you're the guy who asked about IGD with 2M Blue, so I assume that happened with the PLX-1000. I experienced the same. Problem was solved when I abandoned the 54mm alignment and starting using Baerwald with a headshell with longer slots. The Nagaoka MP-110 works great with the stock headshell and the 54mm alignment.

HiFi Guy and bluemooze like this.
  12. Luis Correia

Luis Correia Active Member

Hi.
    Yes I am.
    But actually the blue is on my Lenco turntable. My second system.
    On the PLX I have a Nagaoka mp-110 and works great. I will try to get the blue into the PLX tomorrow to see if I have the same problem.

I have a bunch of protectors but not a single one is identified as baerwald or Stevenson...

I ordered some custom alignment protectors from eBay custom for the plx and for the Lenco with a linn tonearm. Let’s see.

Any recommendations for setting up the blue on the Lenco? Only changing the stylus from the red implies changing to a different alignment ?

13. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Luis - see my reply on the 2M Blue thread....

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  14. punkmusick

In theory it shouldn't. However, my 2M Blue stylus' cantilever was misaligned. So if the body was attached to the arm and aligned and I would just connect the Blue stylus, it would be then misaligned. If both Red and Blue are perfect it should be the same.

15. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

@4011021

I just ordered a Nagaoka MP-110. What is a good (and cheap) protractor I can use to properly align this cartridge? I’ve never done this before.

16. punkmusick

I never tried a protractor. Just do as the turntable manual says. Measure 54mm from stylus tip to headshell washer and square the cartridge in the headshell.

Leviathan likes this.
  17. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

punkmusick likes this.
  18. punkmusick

Check page 5 in this thread for a printable PDF.

19. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The Geo-Disc is very nice, and a little tricky to use, but definitely not cheap !
    Vinylengine offers universal free protractors that might be a better bet for newcomers, if your printer drivers allow you to print them at the correct size (it's not always the case, unfortunately).

33na3rd likes this.
  20. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I bought the GeoDisc to set up my PLX1000, but something seems amiss when I use it..

I line it up to the pivot point on the arm, but then I need to have the cartridge (Denon DL103) hanging almost halfway out of the Jelco headshell to reach the 'A" point on the disc.

Is that right?

21. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Is that supposed to be point "C"?

The Geo-Disc uses Baerwald, so it will be a bit forward and twisted to the right a bit in the headshell, but sticking halfway out does seem a bit extreme. I haven't tried my DL-103 on my PLX-1000, so I can't say for sure. Sorry!

22. Slimwhit33

I'll take a pic tonight and post it... and yes,sorry, it's the "C" position.

23. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Most cartridges won't reach a true Baerwald using the headshell that comes with the PLX-1000. To do that you need one of the Jelco, Sumiko or Zupreme headshells with longer slots.

Helom likes this.
  24. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

The Vinylengine protractors are wonderful, but I'm one of those folks that struggles with the arc protractors for some reason!

25. Slimwhit33

I have a Jelco HS-12 headshell...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.