Quick Turnaround Trip To San Diego - Best Used CD Shops

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mwheelerk, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

I have to make a quick turnaround trip to San Diego next Friday afternoon and leaving late afternoon Saturday. I probably have time to hit a couple of shops while there. Can you recommend shops with good used CD selections?

Thanks

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Lou's in Encinitas used to be great...haven't been there in a couple of years though.

BlueTrane likes this.
  3. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Record City in Hillcrest. Try M Theory in Mission Hills, which is a couple of miles or less from there.

4. duggan

duggan Senior Member

How do the prices and selection compare with Amoeba stores in SF and the one in LA.

5. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Lou's isn't great anymore IMO...might not be worth the trip north if you are in town for short time...potentially a lot of traffic for little selection.

+1 Record City in Hillcrest

6. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Lou's not really happening anymore

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I was just there two weeks back, and was going to suggest Record City, which was a pretty nice little shop and where I purchased a couple of things and had a nice chat with the manager (owner?). While you're there, you may as well check out Taang Records a couple of blocks away, but it's (in my opinion) a dive. I only mention it because you might find a bargain there, I suppose.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. mwheelerk

Well it sounds like one stop will be Record Ciry in Hillcrest. Any others than those mentioned?

hi_watt likes this.
  9. popscene

popscene Senior Member

If you're Going to be in North County, there are a couple of gems - bypass Lou's (that pains me to say as a 25 year customer) and go to Spin Records in Carlsbad. Standards in Vista is quite possibly the hidden jewel of the county - a great little store with fantastic prices, but their focus is clearly on vinyl with a minuscule CD selection.

Overall, my recommendation for central SD? Check out one of the three Thrift Trader locations. The store in North Park does a sidewalk sale every weekend where everything is $1. You could literally spend an entire day flipping through LPs and CDs (and I have).

Enjoy your trip!

10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I was just in Lou's a couple of weeks ago. Not bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way. I did pick up a few nice CDs:cheers:

11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

PS M Theory was better and there was a fantastic place to have breakfast across the street. :cheers:

12. mwheelerk

I completed my quick little trip to SD last weekend. I changed my plans a little bit and that sort of messed things up. I was planning on visiting Record City and M"s on Saturday late morning after I took care of the primary purpose for my trip. I got going and arrived earlier than expected on Friday and decided I would do the music store browsing that early evening. After circling several times looking for parking I got into Record City at 6:45pm only too find out they closed at 7pm. Needless to say it was a rather quick browse. The store was okay but nothing special. I didn't care for the color coding of genres but no big deal. Jumping out of there at closing time I headed the short distance towards M's. The traffic in that area was horrendous and combined with the lack of parking in the area I gave up after several circles around. Looking in as I drove by it looked similar in set up and size to Record City.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.