Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails : Bgo Vs Repertoire - Help !

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moviemax, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moviemax

Moviemax Active Member Thread Starter

Hi folks,

i want to discover the legendary album Happy Trails by Quicksilver Messenger Service but there is a lot of different sounding cds and i'd like to buy the best.

After comparism with samples from almost each edition (thanks to my uncle's collection) i've come to hesitate between my three favorites :

1992 Bgo
    2000 Repertoire
    2010 Bgo

I am a newbie in terms of sound quality evaluation so i'd like to know which one you prefer between 3 short samples from Who do you love - part 1. I've called them number 1, number 2 and number 3 because i donnot want you to be influenced by what you've read or heard somewhere else. Seems that the 2000 repertoire is considered the best here but i am not sure everybody had the opportunity to hear those 3 different editions and compare them. Here's the link to download the samples :

http://xfl05ly5va.1fichier.com/

The track order is not necesseraly as mentionned before. Number 1 is not necesseraly 1992 bgo, number 2 2000 repertoire... Volume level of the files has not been changed. There are volume differences between the 3 editions so do not hesitate to adjust the volume between them using audacity or something else to make a true comparism.

Thanks for help.

2. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

The orignal BGO from 1992 is my favorite CD release of this title; the original US Capitol CD would be my second choice.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

3. Moviemax

Have you heard the 2000 Repertoire praised by some people here ? Do you have 5 minutes to do the samples test ? Thanks.

4. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I picked up Culture Factory's The Legends of Rock's QMS Happy Trails the other day - haven't listened to it yet.
    It states that it was remastered in high definition 96Hz/24 bit.
    Only 3,000 were issued.
    Anyone know about the sound on this one?
    I hope to listen to it soon.

5. Moviemax

If you're talking about the 2012's Culture Factory it's one of the worst version i've heard and i am not the only one here. Do some researches and you will find. Can you try my samples test ? I'm sure you will find any of these 3 versions better than the Culture Factory.

jsayers likes this.
  6. The Culture Factory's I've heard are super bright, co pressed and harsh. Nice packaging though.

jsayers likes this.
  7. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I really like the Capitol mini-LP version. Sounds much better than my 1988 Capitol CD.

Smarvelous likes this.
  8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You know, I can't go dig up my record right now and I've never owned it on CD, but all three samples sounded pretty muted to me. My memory (likely faulty) is that you could hear some snare drum or high hat or something in the background of the sections sampled here. Maybe I'm wrong about this, maybe someone with an old vinyl copy can check.

9. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I've only heard the Eroc mastered Repertoire CD. Sounds good to me.

10. Moviemax

Can't someones play the game and classify the three samples from the one he prefers to the one he dislikes the most ?

11. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Can't speak for CD, but the Pure Pleasure LP reissue is superb...... :angel:

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I've only heard 24/96 rips of the Pure Pleasure LP and I am not at all impressed.

As far as these three samples, I think some other music should be used, this segment is too brief and not varied enough. Some of Mona might be better...

Samples #1 and #2 are almost the same.

Which are which? I know #3 is the Repertoire.

Interestingly, the Repertoire sounds different than every other version I can find. The channels are better balanced, it's a little brighter, a little more compressed, and the "junk" noises at the beginning of the "Who Do You Love" suite are somehow filtered out.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  13. Moviemax

I will reveal the answer after a few more people try the test. Thanks for your answer.

14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

If you take a peek I changed my comment a bit. After more listening to different versions, it's clear the "best" version of Happy Trails is not yet avaialble. IMHO that would be the mix and tonal balance of the Repertoire with the dynamics of the Pure Pleasure LP. The BGO's have more dynamic range than the Repertoire but not enough to sway me, although initially I preferred them. The LP's are dynamic but a bit murky, which is faithful to the original release but could definitely be improved. YMMV.

15. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The guys at Rockbeat need to give Happy Trails the same treatment they gave QMS' first album. That is the best "deluxe edition" / reissue I know of.

16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

This one sounds like a candidate for AF.

Smarvelous and signothetimes53 like this.
  17. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

What does everyone else think of the 2012 Capitol Mini-LP CD?

18. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The 2005 Japanese mini-LP isn't bad, it's definitely better than the Culture Factory disaster (also a mini-LP). I'm not sure about a 2012 Capitol; if it's available by itself it's probably the Japanese version. If it's only part of a 5 LP (CD) replica box it is the Culture Factory disaster; incredibly compressed and overbright.

19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Most everything done by Culture Factory is a compressed loud mess. Definitely avoid these.

Natvecal. and jsayers like this.
  20. Moviemax

Problem is that there is no audiophile cd version of this album right now :(
    We've got to do with the existing ones and i don't know which one to choose between the three mentionned in my first post. Can you listen to the samples and tell me which one you prefer ?

21. Moviemax

22. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

1992 BGO is my favorite...If an audiophile version is ever done, I hope they use the UNEDITED tape of Who Do You Love. It's so psychedelic, it's spooky!!

23. Moviemax

Can you try the sample test please ?

24. Moviemax

You were right. Numer 3 is the repertoire.
    Number 2 1992 Bgo
    Number 1 2010 Bgo

I've finnaly chosen that i preffered the 1992 to the 2010 but i can't choose between 2000 Repertoire and 1992 Bgo because of a too big difference. My ear says Repertoire but my brain says : wait a minute.
    I'm looking for listening pleasure but history too and i am perplex when i see that the Repertoire is so different sounding with different balance when the Bgo sound the same as the others but better. On all editions i've heard, left channel waveforms are smaller than right one. On the repertoire, they have almost the same levels.
    Can we say that the Repertoire is a different mix ? I'm a newbie in musical terms.

25. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.