Qvestion fer Herr Hoffmeister abut MACS

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mazort, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazort

mazort New Member Thread Starter

My name is Mazort and I am a hi-fi-aholic.

Yes once again I have succumbed to my higher impulses and am coming into possession of a pair of minty MAC MC-30's.

Qvestion now is, vat vud be der good preamp fer dis?:eek:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ja!

Well, hook your CD player directly into the Mac 30's and play 'em through your speakers, using the volume controls on the Macs.

What does it sound like? Does it sound neutral, slightly warm, or slightly cold to you? Report back here, and let us know.

I need info like this so I can advise on a line stage!

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

While you are at it, Steve, a few months ago I passed up a set of McIntosh 30's - mainly because I already have a MC240.

As you have owned both, besides the power rating, is there any difference between the two...... presuming they have the "Steve Hoffman Approved" tubes in them?

Mazort, you may want to reveal what tubes you have in these beauties... I'm sure Steve can make suggestions for the best sound quality (like Telefunken 12AX7's and GE 6L6's....) :)

4. Steve Hoffman

Well, Mac 30's and the Mac 240 really don't sound too much like each other.

The 30's are slower (due to the tube rectifier), and have an amazingly colored midrange that I LOVE, but it ain't real life, that's for sure.

The 30's were designed in the late 1940's and are totally Class B. Amazing design.

Studio designers used to use the 30's to power their midrange drivers in a tri-powered (not GTO ;) ) system.

So, the Mac 30's and Mac 240 are different, but they both sound like McIntosh. Since they both use the underrated 6L6GC output tube (or 1614 metal tubes) they have the sound of that great tube going for them.

I have a mint pair that I will be selling sometime soon.

5. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Huh ? :confused: :)

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Re: Re: Qvestion fer Herr Hoffmeister abut MACS

LOL!:)

I am not anywhere near the class of Steve Hoffman on offering expert advice or have 1/1000th of his experience, etc., etc. but I just have to say the McIntosh MX110 preamp is fantastic. But it only has one tape loop.... if you still play tapes of any sort. Two TT inputs, though! :)

7. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Three deuces and a four speed and a 389,wah,wah.

8. Steve Hoffman

Ah, good for you! ;)

9. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Thanks,all kidding aside I'm hoping for a tube amp in my future and this information is invaluable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.