R.E.M. at the BBC

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Aggie87, Aug 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em! Thread Starter

IMWAN and Amazon UK are both listing a 9 disc cd/dvd set, REM at the BBC. Doesn't appear to be any additional information at this point. Due out on October 19th.

Anybody else know anything?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G21YF12

2. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

I'm curious as well. This is a Universal (I.R.S./Capitol) product, that's more discs than the 5 albums that the band released on I.R.S.
    How much time did they spend at the BBC?!

3. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I would imagine they spent a lot of time at the BBC. I hear they were popular back in the day!
    :)

wavethatflag and searing75 like this.
  4. DetroitDoomsayer

:) True enough, but 9 discs seems like a lot of stuff. Were they ever featured on ROCK GOES TO COLLEGE?

There must be multiple versions of some of the same songs, or a lot of covers, or multiple live shows in front of an audience.

btltez likes this.
  5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I hope this is an official release:)

btltez and longdist01 like this.
  6. DetroitDoomsayer

It is, It's being released by Universal.

"Commercial Marketing" is the Amazon label listing for all reissue product from Universal. Universal owns Capitol/I.R.S. Records.

7. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

It will be spectacular if this upcoming set features copious amounts of live material from 1983-1987. :righton:

8. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Oh wow - some of my all-time favorite live stuff is the radio broadcast from Nottingham in late '84. That entire show would be fantastic!

notesfrom, btltez and steveharris like this.
  9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Hopefully it'll be cheaper than the R.E.M.T.V. set.

10. DetroitDoomsayer

Currently listed at £78.99 or $100.48 U.S., but I'd bet the price will change closer to release date.

There is a Amazon U.S. link at the Imwan site as well, but the U.S. listing link currently has no page now.

11. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I have some BBC recordings and they are very good. Can't get enough of this band so I hope this is a revelation.

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em! Thread Starter

I wonder if this could include post-IRS era material, given the number of discs.

Their last hits compilation (Part Lies etc) was a Warner release that covered both the IRS and Warner era. Maybe this release could be the reverse, a Universal release that covers both eras (?)

13. I would have thought if it went past IRS years it would have come out on Concord.Hope I'm wrong as full career would be more interesting and with 9 discs there is plenty of room.There was a REM at BBC Tv special I recorded about 5 years ago and I'm sure it is still on my hard drive.Will have to have a look.

14. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Very cool. I'll buy it.

"Murmur" was a staple on my small town college radio show, and a soundtrack to many a summer night.

The MEZ, Jack Lord, Isamet and 3 others like this.
  15. Had a quick look through the 1 hour tv special REM At The BBC that was screened about 5 years ago.
    Earliest performance was Old Grey Whistle Test from 84.Next after that was 89.So seems unlikely they would have enough stuff from IRS years to fill up 9 discs.Going on REMTV it is likely they have film of everything they performed whether it was screened or not(power of positive thinking).
    Assuming a split of 6cds and 3dvds we could get 8 hours of audio and 6 hours of video(more positive thinking).
    Hopefully details on REMhq very soon.Looks pricey although better value than Automatic box.

16. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

They appeared on Later with Jools Holland several times, including a one hour special.

There were also a few concerts broadcast on BBC radio. For example, from the 1995 tour.

Additionally their appearances at Glastonbury Festival were broadcast by the BBC

17. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

John Peel was not a fan of REM.
    Very seldom played them.

18. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Most of this is post Bill, so I'll pass, still have the Nottingham on cassette and 84 OGWT on VHS
    I wish channel 4 would release the Tube perfomances, REM at their peak.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  19. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I loved John, listened for years, but he avoided "pop" and at times played some utter crap.

sunking101 and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

That he did :D

21. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Initially, I was surprised by the size of this since I didn't think they did that many shows (or at least full ones) at BBC. Especially 9 discs worth.
    However, thinking further about it, I'd say they have enough to fill it with quality material. I wouldn't be surprised if we see 1-2 CDs of interviews though (a la the format of the Queen at BBC set).

For the later era material, I hope we see the Oct 1998 session in full as well as what was broadcast of St James Church 2004 and maybe even Hyde Park 2005.

22. coldnebraskablue

coldnebraskablue Forum Resident

Some of the TV stuff is here: - no "Old Man Kensey" from Whistle Test mind;

BBC radio broadcasts, from distant memory... :
    1984 Nottingham
    1991 (??) maybe someone like Nicky Campbell, studio session
    The Milton Keynes show from the Monster tour was broadcast by the BBC I think

There's bound to be others, Glastonbury probably...

23. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

SoundDoctor and BlackCircleVinyl like this.
  24. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

It was mentioned by a BBC official last last Tuesday: eight discs.

25. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

Here's a listing of radio & TV performances & appearances on the BBC that I've cobbled together using the exhaustive R.E.M. Timeline. You'll notice that it's rather heavy on the 1998-2011 time frame...

28 April 1984 - 'Saturday Live', BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 1 Studios, Yalding House, London, England (Peter Buck phone interview TX 5 May 1984)

20 November 1984 - 'Whistle Test', BBC2, Studio TC5, BBC Television Centre, London, England (Moon River - Pretty Persuasion/Old Man Kensey)

21 November 1984 - Rock City, Nottingham, England (partially broadcast by the BBC)

9 December 1984 - BBC Radio Lancashire, Blackburn, England (radio interview with Peter Buck)

22 October 1985 - BBC Radio Sheffield, BBC Radio Sheffield Studios, Sheffield, England (Peter Buck radio interview)

11 September 1987 - 'Andy Kershaw', BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 1 Studios, Egton House, London, England (radio interview with Peter Buck, including album playback of 2 songs from 'Document')

30 May 1989 - 'Top Of The Pops', BBC, Studio 8, BBC Television Centre, London, England (Orange Crush - the whole band mime their parts to a backing track rather badly, with Michael miming through a megaphone - TX 15 June 1989)

22 June 1989 - Wembley Arena, London, England ('You Are The Everything' & 'Pop Song 89' performed at soundcheck were recorded for 'Our Common Future', A&E TV, Canada & 'The Late Show', BBC2, England respectively)

13 March 1991 - 'Into The Night', BBC Radio 1, Studio 5, BBC Maida Vale Studios, London, England (radio interview with Nicky Campbell & live in-studio performance (6 tracks) & playback of album tracks (3 tracks)

14 March 1991 - 'The Late Show', BBC2, Studio D, Lime Grove Current Affairs Production Centre, London, England (3 song performance with Peter Holsapple)

...too bad the BBC weren't tipped about the Bingo Hand Job performances...

19 September 1994 - 'The Evening Session', BBC Radio 1 Studios, BBC Radio 1, Yalding House, London, England (phone interview with Mike Mills)

26 September 1994 - 'Simon Mayo Show', BBC Radio 1 Studios, BBC Radio 1, Yalding House, London, England (phone interview with Mike Mills, by Simon Mayo)

26 September 1994 - 'The Evening Session', BBC Radio 1 Studios, BBC Radio 1, Yalding House, London, England (phone interview with Mike Mills)

1 February 1995 - Nippon Budokan, Tokyo, Japan (during soundcheck, the band mimed to a playback of 'Crush With Eyeliner', with the members of support act Grant Lee Buffalo dressing up in bear suits with young Japanese go-go dancers on raised platforms, filmed for broadcast on the BBC's 'Top Of The Pops' on the evening of the 2nd. Half way through 'King Of Comedy' Stipe forgot the words and broke up laughing. After a few lines from 'Doll Parts' along with some guitar, 'Crush With Eyeliner' was then sent out to Courtney Love who was backstage. Michael thanked Grant Lee Buffalo for dressing up in bear suits & dancing during 'Crush With Eyeliner' during the encore)

30 July 1995 - The National Bowl At Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes, England (this show was broadcast on the radio around the world, including the BBC)

16 September 1996 - 'Mark Radcliffe', BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 1 Studios, Yalding House, London, England (radio interview with Mike Mills + album playback of So Fast So Numb)

25 October 1998 - 'The Mark Radcliffe Show', BBC Radio Theatre, Broadcasting House, London, England
    (radio interview with the band + playback of album tracks chosen by the band: Interview / Pilgrimage / Interview / Hope / Interview / Green Grow The Rushes / Interview / You're In The Air / Interview / Falls To Climb / Interview / Crush With Eyeliner / Interview / Pretty Persuasion / Interview / What's The Frequency, Kenneth?)

25 October 1998 - 'John Peel Session', BBC Radio Theatre, Broadcasting House, London, England (4 songs, with BJ Cole playing slide guitar on 'Daysleeper')

25 October 1998 - BBC Radio Theatre, Broadcasting House, London, England (12 song live performance broadcast on Radio 1, with BJ Cole playing slide guiter on 'Daysleeper', 'Country Feedback' and 'Man On The Moon')

27 October 1998 - 'Later..... With Jools Holland Presents R.E.M.', BBC2, Studio TC1, BBC Television Centre, London, England (15 song live performance / BJ Cole playing slide guitar on 'Daysleeper', 'Country Feedback' and 'Man On The Moon' / 'Parakeet' is played twice due to technical issues / TX 6 November 1998)

29 October 1998 - 'Uptake', Sound Stage 2, Ealing Studios, London, England (6 song television performance filmed in a warehouse with no audience - no idea if this was made for/used by the BBC??)

29 October 1998 - 'Top Of The Pops', BBC1, Studio C, BBC Elstree Centre, London, England (television performance of 4 songs, broadcast on different dates in 1998-1999)

26 March 2001 - 'Nemone', BBC Radio 1 Studios, BBC Radio 1, Yalding House, London, England (radio interview with Mike Mills & Michael Stipe)

25 April 2001 - 'Johnny Walker Show', BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 2 Studios, Western House, London, England (radio interview with the band by Johnny Walker)

26 April 2001 - 'Top Of The Pops', BBC1, Studio C, BBC Elstree Centre, London, England (television performance of 5 songs, broadcast on different dates throughout 2001)

1 May 2001 - 'Later... With Jools Holland', BBC2, Studio TC1, BBC Television Centre, London, England (television performance of 4 songs + Michael Stipe interview / TX 4 May 2001)

26 June 2003 - 'The Jo Whiley Show', BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 1 Studios, Yalding House, London, England (radio interview with the band)

14 October 2003 - 'Later... with Jools Holland', BBC2, Studio TC1, BBC Television Centre, London, England (television performance of 4 songs + interview with Stipe, Buck & Mills)

15 October 2003 - 'Drivetime', BBC Radio 2, Studio 4, BBC Maida Vale Studios, London, England (radio interview by Stuart Maconie & live in-studio performance of 'Imitation Of Life' & 'Man On The Moon')

15 October 2003 - 'Mark And Lard', BBC Radio 1, Studio 4, BBC Maida Vale Studios, London, England (radio interview by Mark Radcliffe & Marc Riley & live in-studio performance of 'Bad Day' & 'Orange Crush')

15 October 2003 - 'Top Of The Pops', BBC1, Studio TC3, BBC Television Centre, London, England (television performance of 2 songs, broadcast on different dates in 2003-2004)

16 October 2003 - 'Parkinson', BBC1, Studio TC8, BBC Television Centre, London, England (television performance of 2 songs)

11 November 2003 - 'BBC Breakfast', BBC1, Studio N6, BBC Television Centre, London, England (television appearance - interview with Michael Stipe by Dermot Murnaghan & Natasha Kaplinsky, discussing the release of 'In Time: The Best Of R.E.M. 1988-2003')

13 September 2004 - 'Newsnight', BBC2, Studio TC7, BBC Television Centre, London, England (television appearance - interview with Mike Mills & Michael Stipe by Kirsty Wark, discussing American politics)

15 September 2004 - 'Johnnie Walker', BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 2 Studios, Western House, London, England (radio interview with the band)

15 September 2004 - St. James's Church, London, England (secret Fan Club / BBC Radio 2 contest winners gig; Thom Yorke guests on 'E-Bow The Letter')

16 September 2004 - 'This Week', BBC1, Studio TC7, BBC Television Centre, London, England (television appearance - interview & political discussion by Mike Mills & Michael Stipe with Andrew Neil, Diane Abbott, Daniel Libeskind & Michael Portillo)

23 September 2004 - 'Top Of The Pops', Studio 18, MMC Studios, Hürth, Germany (television performance of 3 songs for BBC1, used on different broadcasts)

21 February 2005 - Hallam FM Arena, Sheffield, England (radio interview with Peter Buck & Michael Stipe by Mark Radcliffe for BBC Radio 2 / TX 2 March 2005)

16 July 2005 - Hyde Park, London, England (live gig moved from 9 July 2005 due to terrorist attacks in London on 7 July 2005 / Patti Smith guests on vocals on 'E-Bow The Letter' / recorded for BBC Radio 2 & parts of the show broadcast on 23 July 2005)

31 August 2006 - 'Edith Bowman', BBC Radio 1 Studios, BBC Radio 1, Yalding House, London, England (radio interview with Michael Stipe by Edith Bowman discussing the upcoming 'And I Feel Fine... The Best Of The I.R.S. Years 1982–1987' release)

31 August 2006 - 'BBC Breakfast', BBC1, Studio N6, BBC Television Centre, London, England (television appearance - interview with Michael Stipe by Bill Turnbull & Kate Silverton discussing the upcoming 'And I Feel Fine... The Best Of The I.R.S. Years 1982–1987' release)

22 October 2007 - 'The Music Club', BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 2 Studios, Western House, London, England (radio interview with Michael Stipe + Imitation Of Life from Point Theatre, Dublin, Ireland, 27 February 2005 + radio interview / TX 29 October 2007)

23 October 2007 - 'Later... with Jools Holland', BBC2, Studio TC1, BBC Television Centre, London, England (television appearance - interview with Michael Stipe discussing 'R.E.M. LIVE')

11 February 2008 - 'Zane Lowe', BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 1 Studios, Yalding House, London, England (phone interview with Michael Stipe in New York)

24 March 2008 - 'Steve Lamacq', BBC Radio 6 Music, Royal Albert Hall, London, England (radio interview with Peter Buck & Michael Stipe, just after soundcheck)

26 March 2008 - 'Live Lounge', BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 1 Studios, Yalding House, London, England (radio interview by Jo Whiley & live in-studio acoustic performance of Supernatural Superserious & Munich - Editors cover)

27 March 2008 - 'BBC Breakfast', BBC1, Studio TC7, BBC Television Centre, London, England (television appearance - interview with Michael, Peter & Mike)

26 August 2008 - 'Simon Mayo', BBC Radio 5 Live, BBC Radio 5 Live Studios, News Centre, BBC Television Centre, London, England (radio interview with Mike Mills by Simon Mayo)

26 August 2008 - 'The One Show', BBC1, BBC Media Village, BBC White City, London, England (television appearance - interview with Michael Stipe by Adrian Chiles & Christine Bleakley)

30 August 2008 - 'Steve Lamacq', BBC 6 Music, BBC 6 Music Studios, Western House, London, England (radio interview with Chris Martin & Will Champion by Steve Lamacq in the studio, with Michael Stipe joining via phone from the Twickenham Stadium dressing room, before R.E.M.'s concert that evening)

3 August 2009 - 'Mark Radcliffe', BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 2 Studios, Western House, London, England (phone interview with Mike Mills (in Athens, GA) about the 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition release of 'Reckoning')

16 October 2009 - 'Steve Lamacq', BBC 6 Music, BBC 6 Music Studios, Western House, London, England (phone interview with Peter Buck & Mike Mills by Gary Crowley discussing 'R.E.M. Live At The Olympia')

10 March 2011 - 'The One Show', BBC1, BBC Media Village, BBC White City, London, England (television appearance - interview with Michael Stipe by Matt Baker & Alex Jones)

11 March 2011 - 'Dave Gorman', Absolute Radio, Absolute Radio Studios, Golden Square, London, England (radio interview with Michael Stipe)

11 March 2011 - 'The First Time', BBC 6 Music, BBC 6 Music Studios, Western House, London, England (radio interview with Michael Stipe by Matt Everitt)

11 March 2011 - 'Jo Whiley', BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 2 Studios, Western House, London, England (radio interview with Michael Stipe)

12 March 2011 - 'Dermot O'Leary', BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 2 Studios, Western House, London, England (radio interview with Michael Stipe, talking about the release of 'Collapse Into Now' and playback of album tracks)

2 November 2011 - 'Lauren Laverne', BBC Radio 6 Music, BBC Radio 6 Music Studios, Western House, London, England (radio interview with Michael Stipe & Mike Mills, discussing the decision to break-up the band, and playing album tracks from the retrospective)

2 November 2011 - 'Drivetime', BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 2 Studios, Western House, London, England (radio interview with Mike Mills & Michael Stipe by Simon Mayo, regarding the disbanding & playing tracks from the 'Part Lies, Part Heart, Part Truth, Part Garbage, 1982-2011' retrospective)

2 November 2011 - 'Newsnight', BBC2, Studio TC7, BBC Broadcasting Centre, London, England (television appearance - interview with Mike Mills & Michael Stipe by Gavin Eisler)

4 November 2011 - 'Front Row', BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 4 Studios, Broadcasting House, London, England (radio interview with Mike Mills & Michael Stipe by Kirsty Lang)

3 May 2013 - 'Liz Kershaw', BBC Radio 6 Music, BBC Radio 6 Music Studios, Western House, London, England (phone interview with Mike Mills (who was in Athens, GA) discussing the 25th Anniversary reissue of 'Green' / TX 4 May 2013)

8 September 2016 - 'Front Row', BBC Radio 4, BBC Studios, New York, NY (radio interview with Mike Mills & Michael Stipe by John Wilson about 'Out Of Time' / TX 7 November 2016)

18 November 2016 - 'The Andrew Marr Show', BBC One, Studio B3, New Broadcasting House, London, England (television appearance - interview with Michael Stipe & Mike Mills, talking about the 25th Anniversary reissue of 'Out Of Time' & the US Presidential Election / TX 20 November 2016)

18 November 2016 - 'Jo Whiley', BBC Radio 2, BBC Radio 2 Studios, Wogan House, London, England ('An Evening With R.E.M.' - radio interview with Michael Stipe & Mike Mills by Jo Whiley, talking about the 25th Anniversary reissue of 'Out Of Time', memorable parties, party music (Michael's choice - Talking Heads - Burning Down The House), their retirement, memorable R.E.M. shows & favourite Christmas songs / TX 23 November 2016)

18 November 2016 - 6 Music Live Room, BBC Radio 6 Music, BBC Radio 6 Music Studios, Wogan House, London, England (radio interview with Michael Stipe & Mike Mills by Matt Everitt, talking about the 25th Anniversary reissue of 'Out Of Time' - TX 21 May 2017)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.