R.E.M. vs. the Replacements

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Dinard, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Saw Replacements twice (once at City Gardens with Bob Stinson still theoretically in the band though he showed up at 1am 90 minutes after the band started due to a hangover) and REM about 5 times (once pre Murmur).

Replacements were more exciting live but REM had many more great songs, and that is what counts most for me.

2. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Both great bands, love all their stuff, but R.E.M. are legendary.

3. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I listen to some REM occasionally.
    The Replacements are still in regular rotation.

Paul Westerberg started in the garage, stepped into the sunlight for a moment and then retreated all the way to the basement, where he literally remains to this day, creating gritty masterpieces in true independent fashion. He was never meant to be a star, yet in my house he is. As is his band, The Replacements.

In 2008, Westerberg released this group of songs and occasional snippets as a single file download for the price of one song.

Ted Dinard likes this.
  4. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident Thread Starter

I share your high opinion of 49:00. Maybe the best thing Westerberg ever did, including all his Mats work. To me, among the most profound and moving autobiographies in music.

And yes, to some it will sound like meaningless noise!

strummer101 likes this.
  5. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I loved both bands, had all the records each put out up until 1990, and saw them each several times. The first REM show in '82 was not all that different from the last in '89. The Mats, on the other hand, would not put on the same show in consecutive nights on the same tour. That kind of spontaneity is important to me, so for me, the Mats win for live performance, hands down.

As for recordings, occasionally I pull out "Murmur" or "Fables of the Reconstruction" when I'm feeling nostalgic. But I still dig out my Replacements records and they still sound fresh. They also touched my soul more at the time. So it's an easy Replacements win for me.

6. strummer101

Glorious noise is more like it!

7. strummer101

For Tanx:

JL6161 likes this.
  8. The Replacements!
    Love R.E.M., love The Replacements that much more...

9. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

10. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

REM's longer, more diverse career means they encapsulated more highlights than The Replacements'. Personally, I'd argue that REM could've done a fair 'Mats impersonation, but don't think the reverse could be true. Some might say REM did indeed, on occasion, knowingly step into 'Mats territory. But I have always enjoyed REM more, and appreciate their diversity.

11. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

“I know when I would listen to one of their records,” said R.E.M.’ s Peter Buck, “if our record kicked their ass, or their record kicked our ass, I could tell—though I’d never tell you which I thought was which.”

12. picassoson

"Pete Buck's one fine guitar player."

Ted Dinard and JL6161 like this.
  13. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Both are great and important bands. Although lyrically REM can't touch Westerberg. He was the Dylan of the 80's and beyond. His solo records are great also.
    But, REM had a huge influence on me in the early 80's. Unless you were there when they released Murmur you just can't understand it's impact on the music scene at the time. It totally opened new doors for me.
    So really it's REM by a small margin. Both belong in everyone's record collection.

14. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

"It was never that dirty in the first place!" Georgia Satellites! God bless Tommy Stinson.

picassoson likes this.
  15. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Listen to Tommy dropping that heavy Minnesota "o" @ 7: 03 when he says 'jump on the boat"

Straight Outta Fargo :laugh:

JL6161 and picassoson like this.
  16. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Replacements by about 1,027 light years.

17. Saturday's Radio

Saturday's Radio Well-Known Member

Geez, this is like having to choose between two of your kids. I love 'em both. Both have influenced my life as far as permanent friendships made over mutual love of each band.

Brian Lux likes this.
  18. picassoson

[​IMG]

JL6161 likes this.
  19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

JL6161 likes this.
  20. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

loving the bob mehr biography at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.