R.E.M´s 'Automatic for the People' reissue confirmed for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Devil Rides Backwards' up on iTunes

Sean Murdock, noahjld and John Adam like this.
  2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Agreed,they're taking the piss.

3. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

Deluxe CD unboxing vid:

Hep Alien and theshape like this.
  4. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I'm in for the 2CD. Since it's one of my all-time favorite albums, one of the albums that I have loved for most of my adult life, I'd ordinarily consider the larger more expensive box, $70 be damned, but the series track-record of compression is not promising and I'm a little shy of large boxes anyway, just from a storage perspective.

Still, if the reviews here are ecstatic, I could be tempted... I'd even like to be tempted, but I'm just not there yet.

5. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Why is this 3 cd plus Atmos bd far more expensive than the recently announced 3 cd plus Atmos bd INXS Kick reissue?

I'm really not looking forward to an awful sounding AFTP stereo remaster that will become the new standard like the OOT remaster. And the hires will be weird as this is where they started using DAT tape and other sources in addition to analog tape.

Still in on day one though.

coffeetime and J_D__ like this.
  6. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Very curious how the new pressing would stack up to my original release??? I realize the original vinyl is pretty hard to come by so this is a very smart/needed repress, though I’m anymore, always skeptical of the source, the transfer, the care in molding. Hope it’s a winner, we deserve it. Lots of love for Automatic For The People.

btltez likes this.
  7. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Has anyone else ordered this from Amazon? I preordered the super deluxe set which is supposed to arrive tomorrow, yet I see Amazon has yet to ship the set. Hope it comes on time.

8. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Mine was listed as ready to dispatch all morning. Just checked and now down as with courier at their end since 3.13pm. (UK).
    Sounds hopeful !

ccbarr likes this.
  9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Is there any info available yet regarding the vinyl source?

10. This set does seem very pricey. Labels keep pushing the limit on what pricing they can get away with.

11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Looks like my local brick-and-mortar record shop (Silver Platters, for those in the Seattle area) actually has this on sale for considerably less than Amazon - can't remember the last time I saw that. $63.99 vs. $76.94 at Amazon.

12. Silver Platters has most new LPS on sale on release day. They are one of the few that do this. Amazon rarely does it anymore.

13. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Digital download files (320 kbps) are brickwalled. Let's hope for the vinyl.

REM - Man on the Moon (25th Anniversary)

[​IMG]

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Forum Resident

Well, the demos are cool. Pete's New Song could have been a good single in the style of Imitation of Life with the right set of lyrics.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I ended up canceling my order for the box. Gonna see where the price ends up after release, since the Stone Temple Pilots set dropped considerably after its release. I paid $58 for it and it dropped to $39 a couple of times since release....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not true. amazon usually has stuff very cheap right before its release date

17. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I'm getting fed up with this. Who listens to a deluxe box on ear buds?? Who the hell is making these decisions, and why?? On such a beautiful album, to boot...doesn't anyone in the band give a %#*!??

coffeetime and Paully like this.
  18. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Well, you know how their last albums were mastered. That could be how they want them to sound.

19. I’m going probably pick up the LP tomorrow and listen myself. Never trusted numbers, graphs or waveforms. They only tell a part of the story

btltez, Sean Murdock, Jack and 5 others like this.
  20. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Curious about the vinyl - I'd pick it up if it sounds good. I'm not holding my breath... I wasn't that happy with my Concord deluxe vinyl of Out Of Time, but it will have to do I guess. There's just too many pressings of this floating around out there it's almost impossible to tell sometimes what pressing you're buying. Eventually I'd like to pick up somewhat inexpensive US/UK originals of this and Out Of Time, but the market is so confusing.

21. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Doubtful, but hopefully the mastering on the Blu-ray will be more dynamic.

22. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

Even on vinyl I find collapse into now in unlistenable. Never bought Out of time as it was very loud and not true to the original, the original AFTP vinyl is such a nice sounding piece of wax I hate to think what they've done to it if the Spotify streams are anything to go by, even listening to the streams on there, comparing them to the original on buds there very 1 dimensional, no finesse at all, not so much too loud as just a compressed wall.
    Demos tracks on the other hand are VERY loud!
    Also very disappointed not to have the option of buying a 2 or 3x vinyl release with the demos on. Why would anyone want this vinyl repress over the original release?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  23. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

I preordered from Amazon early last week and it still hasn't shipped. Looks like it's "temporarily out of stock."

And I'm still waiting for the Dylan deluxe box set which I preordered from bd.com (paid a premium price just to get that San Diego bonus) to show up. According to tracking, it's been stuck in Houston, TX (I'm in Lexington, SC) since Tuesday 11/7.

I usually don't have such bad luck with online preorders. I guess my good luck had to end sometime.

Michael D and ccbarr like this.
  24. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Euro vinyl pressed by GZ Media with inhouse mastering according to matrix. Hype sticker on shrink states "Remastered audio from the original analog master". As often with GZ the record had quite some static which made it difficult to get out of the printed inner sleeve which left then some "white powder lines" on the record. Curious to hear about the US pressing. Thanks!

25. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

How does it sound though?