R.E.M´s 'Automatic for the People' reissue confirmed for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Dec 31, 2016.

1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

2. gdruncle

gdruncle Well-Known Member

Thanks for the waveforms - they do tell part of the story. But how do they compare upon actual listening? (I know it’s subjective, but humor me)

3. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

Haven't listened to it yet, I will compare them today or tomorrow and let you know.

musictoad likes this.
  4. monkeyboy67

monkeyboy67 Forum Resident

Actually, Michael sings lead and Natalie does the backing vocals on the version released on the Born To Choose compilation album. Not sure exactly why it was left off of the bonus disc of In Time and instead found its way to the disc of rarities and b-sides on Natalie Merchant's "Retrospective" album, but c'est la vie.

Hep Alien, anthontherun and c-eling like this.
  5. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

how is it different again? that the old cover has the yellow thing as part of the cover and the box has a slightly altered version of that as a sticker on the cellophane and when you strip it off you just get the cover without? is that what you mean the difference is?

6. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

The good news is that the Atmos mix is VERY dynamic and sounds wonderful. Of course the stereo mix is louder and more compressed/brickwalled than the old DVD-Audio.

Funny to see what they had to do on the blu-ray so that when you switch between the very dynamic Atmos mix to the stereo, the volume is maintained. The stereo mix is very quiet but maintains its loss of dynamics...

[​IMG]

7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Can anyone do a comparison between the Atmos mix (or downmixed to 5.1) and the DVD-A surround mix?

J_D__, marcb and smiley69 like this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, it's not changed to the extent the Automatic cover is but they did tweak the design for the box and more so for the LP version:

R.E.M. - Out Of Time

R.E.M. - Out Of Time (25th Anniversary) (Remastered 180g Vinyl 3LP Record + Download)

9. PaulM

PaulM Forum Resident

For those asking about the vinyl, I picked up the US press today, and it sounds great! Chris Bellman in the deadwax, and I didn't hear any issues like what is being described on the EU press.

DavidD, ramdom, Monddialle and 5 others like this.
  10. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

So what's the overall consensus on this release? Should I just grab a copy of the OG CD, get the new LP, or hunt down the DVD-A?

11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Would you say it's noticeably better than the OG reg CD?

12. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

On to the sound... (high res files)

The obvious statement first: the new release is a damn fine sounding effort! Everyone who doesn't have the old DVD-A already and is not an audio fanatic, with these you are well settled. :thumbsup:

With that out of the way: old beats new nonetheless. You can hear subtle compression already in "Drive". The DVD-A is totally laid back with a lot of space in the beginning, then the drums start
    and you wake up with the changing mood. That change is not so prominent in the new version, everything feels a bit tighter, the mix is more evenly. That's even clearer in "Sweetness Follows", where there isn't much compression, but the sound is much more compact than on DVD-A. I love the original mix more, where the guitars droning and changing volume with Stipe's vocal cut in through the middle. Vocals in general are more back in the mix, another disadvantage for "Everybody Hurts" right from the start. Bass is noticeable more prominent on the new release, but a tad too much for me. The original doesn't lack anything in that department. And I noticed drums are a bit muddier, there is clearer separation on the old files.

Overall the original version reigns superior. High dynamic range combined with a natural sound, nothing forced, clearer instrument separation and lots of air. This will stay in my library for sure.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    captainsolo and musictoad like this.
  13. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

If you are only discussing the stereo mix my choice would be the DVD-A, then the original CD, then the new remaster. I haven't heard the new surround mix yet, so can't compare that with the DVD-A.

14. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Was the Chris Bellman cut used in Europe or is it different?

15. PaulM

PaulM Forum Resident

Not sure....just looking at Discogs, there's not much info present on the EU press. The deadwax appears to be different, if Discogs is accurate.

16. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Someone on Discogs claims the new LP reissue is better than the US original as well as a late 90's German press. I find that hard to believe.

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

For those of you looking for a price drop, Import CD has it for $60 and there is a ten percent coupon (TAKE10) as well.

anthontherun likes this.
  18. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I'm far from am expert, but the 24/96 high res version I ripped from the blu ray sounds terrific on my Pono.

ramdom and James Bennett like this.
  19. PaulM

PaulM Forum Resident

Never listened to the original CD, so not sure.

20. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

I went looking for the vinyl yesterday and came up empty. The 2 stores near work had none. One had the CD pack and the other had no versions. The store owner said the distributor was backordered for the vinyl. Amazon and Oldies.com both say out of stock for vinyl. I ended up buying one on discogs...can't wait for it to arrive.
    Both stores were also out of the new Master of Puppets vinyl remaster. They were chock full of new vinyl that nobody wants, though. Just about every time I go to the local shops, they don't have the new releases I am looking for...makes me wonder why I bother anymore.
    Anyway has anyone done a comparison of the Athens Greanpeace show vs the Monster CD single b side versions? I thought I read somewhere that this show was remixed for the box. Any thoughts?

21. McRib

McRib Well-Known Member

I was pretty disappointed in the MoP vinyl, especially because I liked last year's Ride reissue a lot. It's too quiet and lacks the punch of the new CD.

Automatic for the People was equally surprising in the positive way, it's just awesome.

I haven't heard them, but this sounds good enough that it's hard to believe it isn't at least a plausible opinion.

22. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The DVD 5.1 is my go to version of this album. I'll be surprised if the Blu Ray is better.

ted321 and FLF like this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Wasn't the Natalie Merchant version of Photograph recorded AFTER Automatic album was released?

They've buried a coupel killer songs for reasons I don't know. Revolution being another one.

24. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Whoops! You're right! I had it mixed up. :)

krock2009 likes this.