R.E.M´s 'Automatic for the People' reissue confirmed for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Dec 31, 2016.

1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Bought the vinyl, listening now. Sounds flipping fantastic. The textures of the instruments come through really well. The acoustic guitar and bass in particular basically sound like they're being strummed right in front of me. Music has miles of room to breathe. Quiet, centered pressing too. Super pleased.

DavidD, ramdom, Jaffboy151 and 6 others like this.
  2. PaulM

PaulM Forum Resident

I agree!

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

In about 30mins (2.30pm GMT) Mark Radcliffe is interviewing Mike Mills & Michael Stipe specifically about this reissue on BBC 6Music

4. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Sweet. Did you have any other copies of the album to A/B it with?

5. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I didn't do a direct a/b but I've had the OG CD for ages and have it stamped into my memory. The vinyl was much more engaging on a good majority of tracks. There were a few tracks that didn't seem to be much different but overall I'd say it was significant enough that I'm really glad I picked it up. Unfortunately don't have a DVD-A copy (or player for that matter).

ramdom likes this.
  6. HappyFunMiles

HappyFunMiles Forum Resident

This may mark the point where I go from "cutting edge!" to "old fuddy-duddy".

I don't like the Dolby Atmos mix.

I love, love, love, love, LOVE surround sound. Love it.

I love the Elliott Scheiner surround mix of this album (as well as Monster, and OoT, and... you get the idea.). The Atmos really punches the hell out of the vocals (both lead and backup). Grant you, this can be fun to hear for the first time, but when Mike Mills' backing vocals during the verses are competing with Stipe's lead - that's a problem.

The DTS mix on the DVD from 2005 kicks the pants off this.

And get off my lawn.

(Edit: detailing my gear. Denon AVR-1200 with Dolby Atmos, a mix of favored speakers from the 90s and 2000s, Sony BDP S5100 BluRay/SACD player)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    krock2009, aoxomoxoa, stem and 3 others like this.
  7. monkeyboy67

monkeyboy67 Forum Resident

Old school R.E.M!

8. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Thank you, I really appreciate the surround comparison. Especially after reading the fawning published review of the Atmos mix. It made me consider purchasing a new AVR to get that feature. So, you just saved me over a grand!!
    :cheers:

ted321 and James Bennett like this.
  9. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Anyone compared the new vinyl with the original release yet?
    ATB,
    Mark

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Thanks for the comparison.

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have been through the 2 CD set a couple of times. I have been quite pleased with the sound. I had sworn off the REM remasters. I had originally owned may of the earlier 2 CD sets, and sold them. I found them to be loud and compressed; not listenable. However, I have enjoyed Out of Time, and really am enjoying Automatic. The live set is great.

12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I picked up the LP today and thought it sounded great. It’s my first time hearing it on vinyl, so nothing to compare it to...

ramdom likes this.
  13. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

IMO he also co-produced the rhythm section on Ignoreland as it reminds me Zep's impressive 'tsunami'-sounding on some tracks of Presence (e.g. Hots On For Nowhere)

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. The first version is on some Greenpeace Various Artists thing if I remember correctly.

15. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I was thinking they didn't like the first version performed and that's why they did it again.

16. Balkan

Balkan New Member

I have the 180g German reissue from some years back which is great. Is the new vinyl an improvement?

richbdd01 likes this.
  17. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

A guy on discogs claimed the new pressing has a less bright sounding top end and overall more even tone. Personally If I had the German press I wouldn't bother with the remaster.

18. The new one sounds great. Not bright. But Ive never heard this on vinyl before.

They did good.

DavidD, rushed again and ad180 like this.
  19. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Except for quality control on the EU pressings :tsk:

20. Yeah sorry. My copy if fine where ever it’s from.

21. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

That's too bad. I'm just glad that the US pressings don't suck for once. Having to import EU editions gets tiring.

Aftermath likes this.
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve gone the other way and have a US import on its way :cheers:

23. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I've been coming back to this set all week, between the bonus tracks and the great sound of the 24/96 version of the album I feel like I keep hearing new things. Fantastic box set, one of the best of the year, in my very humble opinion.

24. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Sometimes I see your avatar and think to myself "wow I don't remember writing this " ......

superstar19 likes this.
  25. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

In fact all REM 90s WB-catalogue pressed in Germany sounds terrific.
    Cannot wish better clarity and balance.
    But! I wish to get any original some day ( except OOT which been done from US matrices) to compare as any WB US copy I heard before ( from other artist ) had beaten its German peer.