R.E.M´s 'Automatic for the People' reissue confirmed for 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lynd8, Dec 31, 2016.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No clue Rich, formulation...? My Optimal Germany's don't suffer from it

2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Just finished up with the demos disc. Some of these had actually seen official release before. "Arabic Feedback" turned up on one of their Christmas fan club singles (as "Christmas In Tunisia"). "Pakiderm," obviously, is just the full version of "New Orleans Instrumental No. 1," which turned up on a b-side as well (as did "Afterthought," aka "New Orleans Instrumental No. 2"). The demo for "Star Me Kitten" ("Hey Love") also turned up on a b-side.

Interesting that during the demo version of "Photograph," Stipe repeats the name "Natalie" several times during the instrumental break - perhaps they were already envisioning her collaboration?

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Not surprised that the GZ Media pressings are mostly poor and the RTI pressings are very good, given the track record those companies have for pressing vinyl in recent years. It's a shame Craft Recordings didn't use someone like MPO or Pallas to press the vinyl for the EU release.

DavidD likes this.
  4. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

:righton:. +1. This is one of the finest sounding records I've purchased this year.

DavidD and ramdom like this.
  5. Monddialle

Monddialle Forum Resident

To my observations the quality standards with overall process control in vinyl industry during this 'second coming' era are seriously lower than during 'golden age'. Regardless to pressing plant origin one may get a copy with a bunch of defects.
    e.g. my two last collection enties are Bryan Ferry Avonmore ( MPO Noiseland US version) and Diana Krall Turn up the Quiet ( Bakery original US version) - both labs are highly praised for astonishing sonics of their releases.
    What I got is side 2 offcenter and wavy of MPO press and weird 'white noise' on all sides of Bakery.
    Nobody' perfect...

6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’m concerned who’s cutting my records aswell. A quiet record that sounds like it was mastered from a cd is no good either...

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I went out of my way to import a US pressing rather than the locally available EU pressing. Sadly it has multiple clicks, pops and ticks throughout.... even after a through clean. Has everyone else’s US versions been flawless? If so I’m going to seek a replacement. I had high hopes of a quality pressing :-(

8. Mine is flawless in the US. Maybe a click or two but nothing constant.

DavidD and BlackCircleVinyl like this.
  9. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Mine also had a few pops and ticks but nothing major. The dynamics of the lp is what really shined for me.

10. Telegramsam

Telegramsam Forum Resident

Just got a EU pressing. No defects, really quiet and sounds very very good (for a digital record).

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think I’m sticking to my alsdorf stampers pressing, it’s basically brand new and I got one of the last lot when it was repressed last....it does sound pretty great.

I think the only one I would be tempted for a good price is the original US pressing.

12. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Some insight from Stipe, Mills and Buck about "Automatic For The People." 2017

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Does the video clip show the bit where the EU vinyl reissue is lovingly cut in house at GZ media from digital files? :winkgrin:

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Wonder why they were turning up the recording level on the cassette deck while listening to the prerecorded tape? Pretty cheesy

Krzych and elvismcdouglas like this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks so much for this! What an awesome video!

John Adam likes this.
  16. John Adam

I saw it on REM's website and it's a nice addition to the original 1992 Official Video Press Kit. You're welcome!

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Imagine a DVD/Bluray documentary where they cover every one of their albums as they covered this one. That would be incredible!

mr_spenalzo and John Adam like this.
  18. John Adam

I guess they could still do that George, knowing this was a big album for them as artists, I see why they picked it. It is an incredible piece of work that has aged well and sounds so great even 25 years later!

poe_man likes this.
  19. GeorgeZ

GeorgeZ Forum Resident

R.E.M. - Automatic For The People
    Not cut here at GZ. The matrix number 163521E1/A1 means a second mother produced from a first master plate (probably a lacquer one).

ramdom, BlackCircleVinyl and Krzych like this.
  20. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Thank you for this information. What about side B, please? That one has 163521E2/A. What difference does that make because it has "/A" only, please?
    Is that other stamped number (7202983-A/7202983-B) GZ related or is it related to the mastering studio? Because the stamped numbers look very similar or even identical to the ones of the GZ stamp. Thank you!

My copy had non-fill issues unfortunately. I experienced that a few times with other GZ copies lately, so I returned mine. I am beyond of accepting it.
    I am waiting for a replacement from the retailer. As far as I know it is being repressed and will be available in January only.

21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Hmmmm. I've been perfectly happy with my original US pressing for years but maybe I will order the reissue anyway.

Let's see, how many times can I buy this album:
    The CD (just days after it was first released), the original LP, and the DVD-A (oh man that sounded amazeballs). Just yesterday I found a nearly-unplayed original cassette with the translucent gold housing for $.25. Played it, and while not quite up to the CD or vinyl standards it sounded really good. Those WEA "DigAlog" tapes were some of the best back in the day.

To all that, likely add the vinyl reissue. I'll skip the big spendy deluxe box with the BD and surround mixes...maybe...

dan c

captainsolo likes this.
  22. GeorgeZ

GeorgeZ Forum Resident

163521 is not included in our premastering/cutting database, which means both sides were cut elsewhere. /A index means the stampers were electroformed from a first mother produced from a first master plate. Beside the so called matrix numbers, other stamped numbers/chars are usually engraved to nickel mothers here on customer's request, often they are catalogue numbers or other identification numbers or some label/broker info. You may notice it is a middle part of the barcode. Hand-etched numbers or signs are often present yet on lacquers so they must originate from the particular cutting(mastering) studio.

richbdd01, ad180 and Black Stripes like this.
  23. Black Stripes

Black Stripes Forum Resident

Thank you for explaining this!

24. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

I've finally received the super Deluxe boxset. IMO, this is overpriced. I got it from importcds for 63$ shipped to France and I don't think it deserves more.
    The book is nice but I'd rather have more pictures of the band playing in studio than on the streets or beach... The essai could have been longer and more in-depht but it's great to finally have the complete lyrics.
    Regarding the surround mix, I only have 5.1 system, no Atmos. Not sure it beats the previous 5.1 mix but I was mostly surprised by the very buried (nearly absent) mandoline on Man on the Moon, it seems to me it was much more upfront on the original. Anyone else's noticed ?

captainsolo likes this.
  25. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Finally received a replacement for my poor quality US vinyl copy. The new one is great! Not flawless but as good as one can’t hope for in today’s vinyl market. Now to wear out the grooves on this one!

J_D__ likes this.