R.I.P David Bowie: 8th January 1947 - 10th January 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's like Roxy Music, really. Bowie's RCA albums were never rare or particulary expensive so whenever I came across an interesting copy I bought it. At first I kept the best/ most interesting version but around 2005/6 I decided that it is OK to have two complete, almost identical early UK copies of "Low" , just because the date on the inner is different (11/76 vs 2/77). That went on:) Still do that with Roxy...

Kristeva likes this.
  2. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

You're right, Bowie and Roxy aren't rare, especially here in the UK. Roxy Music can be found in any thrift store bucket across the country. Bowie less so but they turn up in shops and vinyl fairs. I had a 'Bowie binge' couple of months before his death filling in the gaps and thank god I did.

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

4. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident

Which one of these is the better version? Is the new one the better version?

5. blackstar

blackstar Senior Member

Those are different items. The one with the lightning cover is "The Ultimate Music Guide" from the makers of Uncut. It's 146 pages about Bowie's (almost) entire career up to "The Next Day". The one with the Thin White Duke cover is the March edition of Uncut with a 19-page tribute to Bowie.

It's not that one is a newer or better version of the other. So you have to have both :D

Criminy pete likes this.
  6. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident

Has anyone picked up David Bowie's book from his exhibit at the Victoria and Albert museum? I hear it's really good and features his iconography. I think I'll invest. And talking about DB's lps which are over the top price wise if you can find them, I'm looking to replace my copy of David Bowie "In His own Words". sweet Jesus... The cheapest one I could find is $350.00! For paperback.. seriously, this ticket scalper mentality is really pissing me off.

7. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

This is a tremendous remix. Sunday is a favorite of mine - I love Torn's playing on it, I love the total "official" arrangement with its spaciness, mood shifts, dynamic variations and all, but this was a great, evocative and moving remix. Brilliant. Kudos to your friend, the keyboard player for his remix! It really shows what a great composition it is, as it is just as effective and powerful in this form as it's originally released one. So, the million dollar question, is this available anywhere other than bookmarking this?

MadamAdam and Plan9 like this.
  8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

[​IMG]

Dec 7th 2015. Photo were published on some Bowie fan forums after this event and nobody thought he "looked" sick though he obviously looked different than 2013/2014 photos.

9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I have that book David Bowie is... I bought it last year £17 from Amazon. It is worth getting.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  10. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I find that many people in retrospect interpret the photos as "he looks sick" because they now know of his sickness. In reality, the only thing you can actually tell from the photos is the fact the he is old. And I mean that in the most positive kind of way, he is old and looks great.

Billy Infinity, bob60, drasil and 3 others like this.
  11. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

That pic is ok it's just taken from a strange and non flattering angle. He doesn't look ill at all in that pic I would say.

bluejeanbaby and crispi like this.
  12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

13. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

That's a new one on me.

14. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I has all the Bowie on original US and Japanese pressings from the 70s

Two years ago I rebought the main cannon on UK originals (uk first press except $$$$ mhstw)
    from several sources

These copies really jump out at you sonically

That marked which was already pricey will explode

I bought the remaster of Outside on lp a few months ago around record store day and the pre order Blackstar arrived at my office the day David died. A week later our local shop had only 80s Bowie in the racks.

15. olsen

olsen Senior Member

All Brighton

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

He looks fine and vibrant. I know someone who died of liver cancer, and their last 4 months were spent in and out of bed, on and off strong meds, and not going anywhere other than sleep. It was awful, so I am not sure how David got out to do photo shoots and video appearances right to the end.

I am under the impression that we did not get the entire scoop on what kind of cancer he had exactly, but whatever it was, it was not that awful painful bedridden for 3 months kind of death.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There was some miscommunication about that photo shoot...I think it was eventually established that it took place in September, not on his birthday.

18. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

There's something special about this pic.

It's his expression. One of mirth or amusement. Looks like he's enjoying himself.

Hope it's OK to admit I like this shot (even though he left us all only one month after it was taken:().

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  19. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I never guessed he was ill. I thought it was natural weight loss.

Solace likes this.
  20. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

I finally pulled the trigger on the box set. CCMusic has it in stock for $199 and I had a 25% off coupon. $149 + shipping is a fair price. I hate to pass over my local B&M store, but that's $100 cheaper.

Larry L likes this.
  21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Well Iman was fooled she posted it to her Instagram. Besides he's had that dog for years.

22. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

My bad

Thanks for the correction

Billy Infinity likes this.
  23. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

To be fair, it is the Dailymail who posts all kinds of crap

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If that's true, I don't know what they did to make the 1977 Bowie look so much like the real thing. That's the only true close-up a Bowie persona gets and it looks just like "real Bowie", whereas Brighton really doesn't look all that much like the real thing... :shrug:

25. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The Ultimate Music Guide really is an excellent achievement with period interviews among extensive and informative album reviews. It's really worth hunting for, even if you've got Nicolas Pegg's Complete David Bowie bible.
    I still need to get the other Uncut one.

Don't forget these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.