R.I.P David Bowie: 8th January 1947 - 10th January 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have been numb about this all day ever since my wife asked if I was awake at 6am and I said yes, followed by aaahh nooo and sunk my head back into the pillow.

A giant. Pure artist. His incredible musicianship and songwriting quietly far outstrips the massive star persona others expected from him. My textbook definition of an iconoclast a shape-shifter and a gentle soul all rolled into one.

3. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Expect a flood of new members here complaining of peak limiting on the EMI '99 remasters. ;)

Echo and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Been in shock ever since seeing the news this morning.

Bought Blackstar Friday night. Played the title track on my Saturday show... and POW! he's gone.

This is HUGE....

:(

5. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Starman has returned home.
    Thank you for the great music.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Trust me, most regular people see nothing wrong with the '99 remasters. I never heard a bad word about them until I started coming here.
    But carrying on...

Billy Infinity and Mazzy like this.
  7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Awful show, but I will give them the benefit of doubt that they allowed her to justify her decision to stay. They didn't seem to milk it.

I know very little about it but it seems that she is a pretty lonely person and Duncan doesn't see her anymore, from what they were saying. Seems really sad.

9. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

My apologies if this has been posted already. Pete Townshend remembers his good friend David Bowie.

Woke up to the awful news that my lovely friend David Bowie passed away. I am so deeply sad, but he just completed a radical and audacious new album, and that is a great thing. Personally I am grateful to him for doing it.
    For those who were his fans he was a charismatic and exotic creature and still gloriously beautiful even as he approached 70. But face to face he was funny, clever, well-read, excited by the arts, and really good company.

In a Japanese restaurant we once ate tiny live crabs sent over to our table by a businessman fan. David said we must try, out of courtesy. I wouldn’t have done it with anyone else on the planet. Delicious, of course.

He was simply a joy to be around, so good at making everyone feel at ease. I’m sorry to hear it was cancer that got him. I knew he had been ill for several years but didn’t know the details. My thoughts now go to his family and close ones, and to so many of his fans who will be beyond distraught today. We have lost a monumental figurehead of the British arts scene. We have also lost a wonderful clown whose combined sense of mischief and creativity delightedly touched our hearts. David Bowie was my Salvador Dali. He was also one facet of my perfect Ace Face.
    Pete Townshend, 11 January 2016

[​IMG]

thgord, kevinsponge, keyXVII and 30 others like this.
  10. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

David Bowie's music changed everything in 1969. And 1970. And 1971. And 1972. And 1973. And 1974. And 1975. And 1977...

In rock 'n roll we throw out the word "artist" so much... There's really only ever been a handful. Maybe, truly, only ever one?

RIP David Bowie.

11. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

R.I.P.
    :shake:

12. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

WOW, that girl is beyond her years. What a beautiful rememberance.

Rick A.

13. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

There were giants in the earth in those days...

Moshe, petem1966, Sternodox and 4 others like this.
  14. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

To me he was the rarest type of artist I can think of--one that seemed "hip" from his earliest work right up to the present moment.

Wish he'd been able to live a longer life in good health. RIP :cry:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    Runicen and pscreed like this.
  15. drasil

drasil Former Resident

tumblr is going crazy.

a quick trip there will demonstrate just how much Bowie means to teenagers today. thirty, forty years ago--it doesn't matter. he hit on something universal.

JulesRules, guy incognito and OldSoul like this.
  16. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Maybe a strange pairing on paper, but boy did it work. Still one of my favorite Christmas songs.

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have this on a 7"

keifspoon likes this.
  18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Even though very busy today I woke up to this and thought; He really was my hero.
    I made time to play side one of Heroes quite loud for 7:00 am in the morning.
    R.I.P. and godspeed Mr. Jones.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  19. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

20. Joce

Joce Forum Resident

R.I.P

21. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

22. RIP David Bowie! Your music meant a lot to me over the years, especially in my late teens and early 20's. Seeing the Ziggy tour remains one of my concert highlights! Never went to see him again though I had many opportunities. I now wish I had followed up on a few of those.

Peace

Rick G

23. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I got on the internet today and saw this horrible news. David Bowie was a great artist. I will miss him. Rest In Peace.

24. Same here.

25. serge

serge Forum Resident

gutted

Casagrande likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.