R.I.P. David Ogden Stiers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John54

John54 Senior Member

My sentiments exactly.

Rest in peace :(

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Thank you for the laughter. RIP

3. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Yes he did a lot of great voice he also guested stared on Fraiser ..

4. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Great actor. Winchester is a wonderful character. Unforgettable. Loved that he was a lover of music. RIP.

5. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

That's the first place I thought of going to when I heard that Stiers had died. Ken comes through again...

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Good observation, swandown. Not necessarily provable, there have been unsympathetic, erudite characters forever. He just made the best of a long-running role memorable, and was blessed with following the Frank Burns character with the mandate to "do that same thing, just don't do it that way..." Really was the Role Of A Lifetime.

Which bums me out, because I would have loved to see him in more roles, and more of his range. And I'm sure he woould have wanted to see that as well. I don't know about these guys who put their all into their work, even if the spotlight only swings their way on its' way to the actor in the key light; are they happy? Does unfulfilled ambition haunt them? Do they fear being recognized forever by the role they just lucked-into on their way to what they'd hoped was, becoming "Brando"? Is there really a future at the conventions for the guy who shows up with a blue head, so he can sign his card, "Andorian #4"? Will Kevin Pearson ever get from being "saddled with the role of 'The Manny'", to being "blessed with the role of 'The Manny'"?

I just hope David Ogden Stiers will be remembered...for being David Odgen Stiers.

7. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

So very good at everything, but right up there with M*A*S*H, Doc Hollywood and The First Olympics: Athens 1896.

Andy Smith and Steve Litos like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

He starred in one of the best TNG episodes in season 4 called Half A Life, playing a man of science with great humility, generosity and self-sacrifice.

9. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I really disliked him as Winchester before I really liked him. God speed DOS!

10. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Loved him in MASH - better than Burns (though I did like that character too), and that one episode he did on Star Trek TNG was very good too, captured the in tent of the character really well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sad news. Such a classic guy. Great character from a great show. RIP.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

RIP David.

Great job on Mash...

13. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

If i'm not mistaken i thought i heard him the other day in voice over on some documentary. I'm not sure if it was him or what it was for. Of course he worked for frontline for years and i think he did a lot of voice over for the civil war and the roosevelts documentaries. A very important voice... between him and ed herrman a lot of great work and characterizations that added a lot to the art.

Watched MASH of course..thankless task to play a replacement character on a long running show. I think he brought a lot of dignity to his characterization and made what might have been a thoroughly unlikeable character very comprehensible and possible to empathize with. R.I.P, David. enjoyed your work.

14. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Was just watching the TNG episode "Half a Life" recently and was prompted to look up David's Wikipedia entry to see if he was still around. At least he got to make it past 60...

[​IMG]

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Like I say, though,given the way the other M*A*S*Hers treated Frank by the end there, I can't help but feeling sorry for him. A bit.
    Off the top of my head, along with "Morale Victory", my other favourite "Winchester moment" is the way he dealt with the stuttering soldier and his 'buddies' in "Run For The Money". The M*A*S*H writers tended to add a good sense of humanity to Winchester's character.

16. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Well bummer... Charles is my favorite M*A*S*H character, and by all accounts, David Ogden Stiers knocked it out of the park in creating a nuanced, complex, multilayered character with depth and compassion... if more than a little hubris, but only because he was smarter and a better surgeon than everyone there.

There are so many classic Charles moments to mention - some already have here - but the definitive CEW (III) scene is, for me, the last scene of 'Fade In/Fade Out' when Hawkeye and BJ return to the the Swamp, Charles is listening to his gramophone, and Hawkeye mocks him by saying "please BJ, Mozart", proceeds to climb into his bunk, only to find the rubber snake that he left in Charles' bed earlier... Hawkeye screams and jumps up in fright, Charles turns his head and with a slight smirk says "please gentlemen, Mozart" :D... classic Charles and the character in a nutshell; smart and civilized, but nobody's fool.

R.I.P. Mr Stiers, you were a class act and a wonderful actor who gave many people countless hours of enjoyment.

:tiphat:

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

RIP-He left a great acting legacy just playing Winchester, but I was not familiar with his other tv and movie roles. Hope his family and friends have great memories of his life.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

RIP, Charles.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  19. cathandler

cathandler Hyperactive!

20. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

There was a lot of humanity and heart in the later seasons. It’s just that some people prefer the one dimensional characterizations of the earlier seasons.

blutiga and ohnothimagen like this.
  21. I liked his work. He was very good in The Accidental Tourist. RIP.

GodShifter and Beer Milk Shake like this.
  22. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Wasn’t he the voice of the clock on Beauty and the Beast also?

23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

RIP
    Oddly THIS is the first thing I thought of

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

he was such an amazing actor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.