R.I.P. Neil Simon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I love Neil Simon. For me, I think his greatest play is probably the Sunshine Boys, but I love a lot of his stuff. The Odd Couple, Star Spangled Girl, Barefoot in the Park, The Good Doctor...classic stuff. RIP

Steve Litos likes this.
  2. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that's a great one! love that chicken peperoni!

ZippyPippy likes this.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Very sad news. What a talent and legend. RIP.

Steve Litos likes this.
  4. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Thanks. May seem odd but I enjoyed California Suite best of all his screenplays.

Steve Litos and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Rest easy, Mr. Simon.

6. I love Brighton Beach Memoirs and The Goodbye Girl.

R.I.P.

7. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

Billions and billions..and billions..of laughs - and that's just for The Odd Couple.

snowman872 likes this.
  8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

RIP to one of the best.

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

a classic

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

You’re welcome.

11. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

He was so prolific and made it seem so effortless that I think people tended to take him for granted. A lot of work went into those plays and if he was prolific it was because he had such a strong work ethic. I recently read his autobiography and it it left me with a true admiration for the guy. RIP, Mr. Simon.

12. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Rip great writer! one of my favs was After the fox with Peter Sellers ! Victor Mature Was fantastic in this !

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Since I never saw any of his plays, I guess I never got to see much of his brilliance. But so many great films, so many laughs. We have so few writers who are happy making us laugh, it's got to be 'sad clowns' now. He will be soooo greatly missed

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Heartbreak Kid was my favorite of his stuff that I’ve seen. Just brilliant.

Steve Litos likes this.
  15. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

R.I.P. Neil

16. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

The 1972 version...so funny! The 2007 not so much.

MikaelaArsenault and Monosterio like this.
  17. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

I love Barefoot In The Park, Odd Couple, Heartbreak Kid, and even Murder By Death!

My sister and I accidentally wandered in to the London Production of Laughter On The 23rd Floor during the closing week...starring Gene Wilder as Max Prince (aka Sid Caesar).

It was a little uneven, but worth it for the legends involved.

18. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...OK, I practiced thread conservation and found this, so...Clearing up old issues, while Christmas trails off (Hey, it's the Tweltth Day today, Epiphany tomorrow, and how does the Orthodox Christmas run???;)).
    I never actually saw any stage plays by him, iIRC...and the only films I recall seeing of his work were " THE SUNSHINE BOYS " ~ which I saw as a new movie in 1975 at Radio City Music Hall ~ and the movie of " SWEET CHARITY " ~ which he had written the book for the stage version of.
    Okay, considering that most?? folks here are ( aAt least symbolically??)" older " than " my "late-end Boomer/Generation Jones age --- you mean that many here didn't find him, at best, " likably square "?

19. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

20. the pope ondine

21. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...OK, now that someone has replied to that --- It seems that the " norm/ideal " here is a ' 60d generation/70s college student (meaning early/mid 70s) type + always reminiscing about " Oh, wow, those were the heavy days, man, when we were all listening to album cuts, the longer the better, man, and rolling our joints on our Pink Floyd record cover --- I remember that ELP co certnwhere I'd smoked all that hash, and the light show..:"!:agree:
    Wouldn't N.S. have seemed then as " something dear Aunt Edna laughed and laughed at, God bless her..."?:o

22. the pope ondine

no wayyyy.....we used Doobie Brother covers, maaaaaan :unhunh:

i don't know, i was in diapers in the 60's but seems like he sold a kajillian tickets in the 60's-70's so seems like the hippies didn't mind the square vibe, if there was one.
    I think aunt edna would flip her wig at heartbreak kid.
    ps funny's funny

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Don’t start with me, Fred!

the pope ondine likes this.
  24. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

We were dropping acid (Owsley) in 1969 while Hendrix, Morrison et all were doing their 'thang' grooving and shakin' like there was no tomorrow :whistle::wiggle:--- nobody blinked an eye because we were the hip ones and everyone wanted to be like us and all the birds wanted to hang out with us, MAN. Ya dig? :D;)Those were wild days and we felt like bohemians and cultural leaders --- ;):D:chill::nauga: Nowadays the youngsters wanna be like hipsters from the 80s who look like social outcasts --the only difference being that they can't afford an iphone like their groovy friends so they'll hassle people for $$ :shake: :cry:

25. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Rest In Peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.