R.I.P. Roger Moore

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Such sad news this week. I'm such a fan of The Saint that I recreated the Saint logo and had vinyl stickers made so that I could put the logo on my motorcycle fairings, white helmet and car license plate. I did this 5 or so years ago. My little tribute to Mr. Templar!

melstapler likes this.
  2. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

According to his autobiography they offered him a fraction of what they paid him for the first episode to appear in future episode so he declined.

3. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

My fave Roger Moore moment is from IIRC the second Cannonball movie.

He gets pulled up at a Police roadblock and asks the annoying little man in charge what is going on.

Annoying man - "We are having a stakeout!"

Moore (suave look in his eye) - "Oh well Bon Appetite!" (drives off)

Annoying man (perplexed) - "English humour!"

4. junk

junk Hellion

Rest in peace

5. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Roger Moore was my favorite Bond, even if most other people's is Connery. Moore was probably closer to Fleming's conception of Bond than Connery was. THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is my favorite Bond film, even if it's nothing like the book.

6. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

And to think he probably never would have been Bond if George Lazenby hadn't gotten such rotten career advice!

MikaelaArsenault and Graham like this.
  7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I believe his favourite was The Spy Who Loved Me. :)

His least favourite was A View to a Kill. He apparently disliked just about everything to do with that film... although he was still enough of a gentleman to provide a pleasant audio commentary on the DVD. :)

8. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Really? In what sense?

9. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

I think that Fleming complained that Connery was too rough and Working Class to fit his Bond, and Moore's more "upper crusty" persona may have been more to his liking(Moore was actually from a working class background, and received elocution lessons in his early acting days).

krock2009 likes this.
  10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

He never ran (or certainly never more than a few feet) as Bond.

When folks ask me about my lack of enthusiasm for 'working out' or 'fitness' I always say "a gentleman never runs when he can walk!"

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

But he climbed a zhitload of steps in For Your Eyes Only, just in time to put a bullet in a guy who killed a woman he knew

12. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Very true. It's takes him ages though. He starts running at night time and it's past daybreak when he gets to the clifftop. ;)

Also, he doesn't actually shoot him. He kicks his car off the cliff. He felt this was the type of thing Connery's Bond might do, but that it was an atypical "Roger Moore Bond" move. But it fits in nicely with the back to basics approach of For Your Eyes Only.

MikaelaArsenault and Graham like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah ..that's his best Bond film.
    And, he had the best Bond women.

14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

That's from the first Cannonball

15. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I still vividly recall seeing "Live and Let Die" on the Friday evening opening day show. I was 10 and thought it was great, and given my age accepted Moore in the role without comparisons. I always thought he was a fine Bond, he just had the misfortune to inhabit the role at a time where the filmmakers moved the franchise into a lighter, more pop sensibility that hasn't aged well at all.

RIP Sir Roger.

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Duh duh duh...I am Captain Chaos!

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Dont even tell me Cannonball Run isnt as preposterous as any of his Bond flicks!!;)

18. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

"For Your Eyes Only" will always be my favorite Bond movie since I have loved it since I was a kid. Roger was also my favorite Bond as well from the older movies. RIP.

19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I decided to watch CannonBall Run today. Totally forgot Bonds Aston Martin DB5 was in it too! :righton:. Good on Roger for spoofing himself.

MikaelaArsenault and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  20. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

He and Sean were the only two Bonds for me. Both excellent. All the others ... pffffft.

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Another Bond-related death this week.... actress Molly Peters, who played Patricia the health spa nurse in Thunderball.
    Molly Peters (I)

22. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

In case folks missed the May 31st screenings, there will be a dbl feature this Sunday (June 4) at theaters in the US, UK, Australia, and New Zealand to benefit UNICEF and pay tribute. They're showing For Your Eyes Only and Spy Who Loved Me. Info on my Spy Vibe site. Here is my tribute to Sir Roger:

SpyVibe: ROGER MOORE R.I.P.

23. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Well, since George Lazenby in his only Bond film has Diana Rigg, I'd go with him. Although you did say women, not woman

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Definitely the best actress.

25. Just want to say that, after more than a month of his death, I still haven't been able to get over it. Few losses have hit me as hard as this one (Lemmy being another). Roger Moore is one of my all-time favorite actors. Not just because he was a great actor, but because of his elegance, demeanor and class. Plus, I always felt he was a genuinely nice guy. He has been strongly criticized for being the "least Bond of the Bonds", and with good reason if compared to Ian Fleming's portrait of his character. But in terms of charisma and likability, nobody tops Sir Roger's Bond in my book. One of those famous people that I would have truly loved to shake hands with. Rest in peace.

Big Pasi, Beaneydave and xdawg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.