R1 USA vs R1 Canadian Pressings.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by snowman, Aug 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman

snowman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,
    Many of the DVD's I buy are region 1... The company I buy my region 1 discs from always send me the Canadian pressings, and not the USA pressings. I realise the actual Film, cuts etc. will be indentical, and that the Canadian pressings have French language on the covers in some cases... but what about the actual quality? Is there a known issue that Canadian dics are better or inferior to the USA pressings?
    Any info much appreciated,
    From Snowman.

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I would say most of the time it's pretty equal. Sometimes there might be a different studio behind a release or one version has more features/discs ("The Pianist).

Todd

3. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Right now, I would say that 99% of the releases are the same with the differences being what you've stated (Paramount, I believe, has the bilingual covers). At one time, there were a few releases that were different with regard to extras (i.e. the original Canadian Pulp Fiction had deleted scenes) but with all the new "Special Editions", the content has been standardized in Region 1. There is still the odd release that is not released domestically in Canada. Otherwise, given current prices and monetary conversion rates, you _SHOULD_ get a lower price on a Canadian Region 1 DVD versus the US.

Cliff

4. I'd be very careful about buying Canadian versions of any films on DVD, particularly ones that are put out by Alliance Releasing. This company appears to be in the dark ages. They keep releasing films full screen. A couple of examples come to mind; Sliding Doors and Lola RZennt (Run Lola Run). In both cases the U.S. version of the DVD was widescreen. AND the U.S. and Canadian versions of Run Lola Run have different extras than the other. So if you are huge fan of this movie, you may want both DVDs.

5. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

Alliance Atlantis released the genius "A Tu Mama Tambien" in Canada without the commentary with the actors (very funny I hear) and some other extras. If you have seen this movie, and please do, it is absolutely necessary to involve oneselve in the extras of this movie. It's a funny, irreverent movie, too. So, Americans drink up the stuff and let us know the freedoms you espouse.

6. snowman

snowman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. By the way I always goto the following site for a comparison between R1 and R2:-
    http://www.dvdcompare.net

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

There is an interesting quandry with the North American DVDs of Trainspotting.

The Buena Vista release in the USA has no extras whatsoever, its packaging says it is rated "R", but the actual version of the film on the disc is the unrated cut.

The Alliance Canadian version has a documentary with some interviews and numerous deleted scenes, does not indicate what the US rating was, but includes at least one of the bits of censorship from the US R-rated theatrical release. The Alliance version was reported to be the uncensored cut on numerous web sites, but that did not turn out to be the case when I saw it for myself. :confused:

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.