Radio Shows You Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenalishi, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I like many of the shows above mentioned. One that hasn't been mentioned and is long gone is Bluestage. It was hosted by Ruth Brown and featured mostly blues and soul musicians in various clubs around the country. I think this was a NPR production. So glad I had the forsight to record several episodes back in the day.

MikaelaArsenault and Greenalishi like this.
  2. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real Thread Starter

I loved that show. 10 at 10 was wonderful. KFOG at one time was wonderful. Lots of character and characters. Bonnie Simmons an original KSAN dj did a show called the Psychedelic Supper which was awesome. M Dung who recently passed away was a genuine original. An old school Wolfman Jack type.

I love Dave Morey. Then they became boring. Dave Mathews type music and just boring. Like most commercial radio. But near you wasn't there KFAT and KPIG? Both super cool. Now we have lots of great listener supported stuff. Very lucky really. Many great shows right now.

3. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

American Routes, pretty much weekly.
    Some of World Cafe
    We also have a local show-Paul Slavens-comes on sunday after american routes, and it's just random listener suggested stuff.

4. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Lost Lennon Tapes - John Lennon/The Beatles
    Theme Time Radio Hour - Dylan/Various
    Humphrey Bogart - All the radio shows he did
    KCRW - Various

5. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I used to love Ron Wood's show. Anyone know if they are archived or otherwise available?

6. PC31

PC31 Forum Resident

7. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Frank started in radio at Pacifica station WBAI in New York City in 1976, where he “experimented with live freeform radio featuring his monologues and actor improvisations” on Saturday-night show In the Dark, according to his website. NPR hired him in 1978 to co-host All Things Considered and later produced shows for the drama series NPR Playhouse.

He most recently produced shows for the radio series Unfictional on KCRW in Santa Monica, Calif. He produced more than 200 programs for NPR and KCRW.
    Remembering Joe Frank

Greenalishi and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I’ll have to check this stuff out later, thanks.

9. Greenalishi

I really love Joe Franks monologues. Very unique, detailed, style. Like a book but with more flow of a conversation. His vibe and point of view was all his but also wide in the different shows. I love Joe Frank so much. I wish someone could shine a light onto his really cool stuff. In the era of podcasts he is Perfect to fit in.

Oddly enough i had two emails, one from Joe's team. Here's the link.

Joe Frank Newsletter - Joe Frank

Interestingly he put a lot of effort to the music in his shows. Trying to make it timeless. So there is a music aspect to his shows. Though some of it date now to my ears. But, i love the music as well.

RIP Joe, you were great, i really enjoyed playing your stuff in my cab to very bewildered passengers, rock on.........

10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I love so many Joe Frank episodes. Probably my favorite is Dreamland. This was one of the first ones I heard, and the one that made me realize radio could be so much more than news, sports, traffic & weather.

From joefrank.com:

Kidnapping theme. Included are descriptions of a tribe that captured and held inanimate objects, communities in California that worship and participate in kidnapping, and the trans-generational kidnapping and holding of blacks that was slavery. Also included is a description of a professional wrestler, Mr. Capital, and a description of a rock and roll recording studio disaster.

11. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

It's gone now but...Finkleman's 45's on CBC about 15 years back...a real treasure.....bless you Danny.

12. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

There is still a great 60's style radio show on AM clear channel. Every Saturday night, from 9 PM to 1 AM on KMOX 1120 AM St. Louis, the Johnny Rabbitt "Route 66" show is on. Listening to it on AM is almost exactly the same as listening to the great rock & roll stations from the 60's on AM. Definitely a must-listen for those in the Midwest and surrounding area....

Dougd likes this.
  13. Greenalishi

[​IMG]

Below is a list of all the tributes to Joe Frank that we know of. There are several special airing this weekend and in the upcoming week, so please note those! If you are on Facebook please follow the Remembering Joe Frank page at https://www.facebook.com/JoeFrankTheOtherSide/.

Special Airings!

Tributes (written and audio):

Please check out the News section of Joe Frank. We plan to update the list on there as we learn of more! If you know of any please send us an e-mail so we can add it.
    Thank you,
    Joe Frank Staff

14. Thanks for the heads-up on the Andrew Sandoval podcast.

Best Wishes,
    David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.