Radiohead- A Moon Shaped Pool

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

While watching Westworld on HBO Sunday night, I noticed that they were using one of the songs from the album on the soundtrack for this episode.

2. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Can anyone comment if the black US Rainbo pressings have a better track record for quality control, than the white pressings?

Or are they equally as screwed up? The shop where I'm returning my white pressing, said they have a standard black copy they'd swap for me, but noot sure I want to take another gamble. I'd love to have this on vinyl, but it may not be in the cards.

3. SATLOS

SATLOS Forum Resident

W.A.S.T.E. must have a lot of these scenarios going on... For some reason, they sent me TWO sets of replacement vinyl. :shrug:

Satchidananda and matteos like this.
  4. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

What was the contact email?

5. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

[email protected]
    I have received my third set today. Once I give it a whirl I'll report back and contact WASTE with any feedback, positive or negative. As I've already said they have been excellent, let down by a run of not so good pressings.

Engineer X likes this.
  6. SATLOS

SATLOS Forum Resident

Unfortunately, all three sets of this deluxe edition that W.A.S.T.E. have provided are the same: snap, crackle and pop throughout, with the track "Daydreaming" being the absolute worst.

Aside from the obvious pressing issues, the mastering of this album just doesn't seem up to Radiohead's previous standard. The bass seems really "flabby" for lack of a better term, and everything seems squashed and lacking in dynamics. It's also really, really LOUD... I have to keep the volume well below my standard listening level for it to be tolerable.

I kept thinking something was off with my stereo while listening, but I threw on a different record and my stereo came back to life. Terribly disappointing release aside from the art book.

I'm not sure I'm going to bother with sending it back. Just going to list it on Craigslist and cut my losses.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  7. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

I got one copy that was like this and sent it back for a refund after reading enough stories like yours. I may pick up the standard version at some point in the future, but I only fork out the big bucks for higher audio quality.

8. Satchidananda

I hope this release is such a huge pain in their ass that they go the extra mile next time with regards to mastering and pressing quality. When I returned my special edition I made sure they knew I was disappointed in the mastering as well... Not sure they'll care about that though.

Six Bachelors and SATLOS like this.
  9. SATLOS

SATLOS Forum Resident

When you returned your set, did you pay the return post? I'm in Canada so returning to the USA might prove more expensive than its worth.

10. Satchidananda

I did pay it. They gave me a US return address, but it might be for all North America. They also deducted the cost of my FLAC download from the refund :(

11. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

Billy_Sunday, dtuck90 and jfeldt like this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Finally got to listen to my deluxe set and was pleased with the sound. Definitely not the best looking pressing with odd looking marks in the dead wax, but it played through and was fairly quiet. Disc 2 was warped and needed the Vinyl Flat.

Quick question - have we established that this is identical to the previous black/white pressings? Thanks!

13. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Forum Resident

Yes; it seems that they're the same as the standard Black/White European copies.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thanks. I need to put those in the "to sell" stack.

15. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

The good people at W. A. S. T. E. are sending me a fourth vinyl set. My third set was the best of the lot so far with some snap, crackle and pop issues. I wrote to thank them for their excellent customer service mentioning the relative state of the vinyl. They wrote back and kindly made the offer of another set.

16. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

Most Radiohead fans I know are voracious consumers of music, myself included, so with that fact accepted I have one question...Does 'A Moon Shaped Pool' top your end of year list? Or where does it chart?
    (for me it's no.2 btw)

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I see that for A Moon Shaped Pool, the standard Vinyl(not the Special Edition) shows 2 Pressing Plants(Optimal & Rainbo) on Discogs, yet the #s are identical for each listing and include US & Europe on both Pressing Listings.

Is there a way to know how to get the Optimal Pressed Version? Are most of the pressing issues/problems mentioned in this thread from the Rainbo version, or have some Posters here also have gotten bad pressed versions of AMSP from Optimal?

Appreciate if anyone can provide some insight, although based on the above listings on Discogs combining US & Europe, not sure if anyone can determine how to purchase AMSP that is pressed by Optimal, as used to assume that buying an album with 2 Pressing Plant options(Rainbo & Optimal) would mean buying in the US meant only be getting Rainbo option and buying from Amazon-UK(or anywhere in the EU) meant getting the Optimal Pressed version. Is Discogs just screwing up their listing combining US & Europe & Canada for both options for A Moons Shaped Pool? They actually list 4 options as 2 others include 'X' at the end of the #s , but still include all 3 regions for both of those options.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The European version is just as bad as the US version. I have a white vinyl and a deluxe edition set and I don't play either as it's too annoying.

jon9091 likes this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

Wow, sorry to hear about that. Thanks for the reply.

I wonder if Optimal is overworked with new Pressings, as they had a good reputation. I find it strange that they only did the first 4 Pink Floyd re-issues(not many complaints compared to the RTI US Pressings of those albums), then the recent re-issues have been done by the Pressing Plant in the Netherlands(Record Technologies?), and now reading several complaints on the new 'Animals' pressing.

20. Mithras Tauroctonos

Mithras Tauroctonos New Member

Pink Floyd WYWH European was pressed by Optimal.

I had AMSP se from waste (received oct 2nd) and it had many smudges on the artwork and "dents" on the records, now I ordered it again from Amazon, should arrive next week. I wonder if this new batch from regular retailers will come from different plants.

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

That is good to know for WYWH, but Animals, Meddle OBC, AHM & DSOTM used the Netherlands Pressing Plant for some reason, so was wondering if that was also because Optimal is overworked.

Hope you get a good pressing for AMSP. I did not hear they were using a new Pressing Plant, but maybe they will since there have been a lot of returns and complaints.

22. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Can't believe managed to secure 3 tickets for Radiohead at Manchester Arena next July today.

I'd almost given up after the disgusting speed they sold out then ended up on secondary ticketing websites for highly inflated prices.

Not sure what happened but these were bought on the Arena website, I don't whether they had some tickets all the time waiting to release or some of those ones that went to the secondary sites came back.

I will say I had to register a persons name on each ticket, I presuming the Arena staff should be checking for ID for each ticket and this is how they deter these being sold on.

Anyway they are one of my favourite bands and I've only seen them once before on the OK Computer tour and it's still the best gig I've ever been to.

On the subject of the AMSP vinyl, sorry to hear some are having so much bad luck with the normal and deluxe, I got both versions and they were pretty much pristine and sound great still.

matteos and LarsO like this.
  23. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I can feel your thrill. Went to Victoria Park 2008 (In Rainbows). Great experience!

spintheblack72 likes this.
  24. SATLOS

SATLOS Forum Resident

Yours isn't mastered extremely loud?

I normally listen with my volume knob around 75%. Did this last night with the latest pressing of Pearl Jam's "Yield" and it rocked. With "AMSP" spinning, I can't even get it to 50% before it starts to hurt my ears.

25. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Lucky!! I tried to see them during in Rainbows. Tickets had sold out between page refreshes.

Did see them on tour during the Bends in 95 and also the tent tour for Kid A. But would be nice to see them again. Have pretty much given up on the idea though.