Radiohead- A Moon Shaped Pool

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Groovy, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

Just opened my deluxe set, cleaned both records thoroughly on my VPI and then played them. I really like the music. My records are flat and relatively quiet. Such a terrible shame IMHO that the band decided to make it sound so crappy.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Kinda baffling really. Why go through this painstaking process of writing, re-writing, doing multiple arrangements and recordings, etc. over a period of years to get just the right versions of these songs...only to trash it at the end with brick wall limiting?

Six Bachelors likes this.
  3. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

Received my replacement deluxe edition (original packaged damaged and records distorted and crackle city). Waste asked me to wait a month while they do new pressings and happy to report the new pressing is flat, dead quiet, zero crackle and very listenable at top volume. It was also much better packaged this time. Top service from WASTE.

Old Rusty, Stone Turntable and LarsO like this.
  4. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

I have had four sets. All pressed at Optimal. All less than ideal. Snap, crackle and pop being the best description. I have said earlier up the thread the excellent customer service I have received. These pressings issues are very unusual for Optimal.

TheSeldomSeenKid and patient_ot like this.
  5. dh3rm3

dh3rm3 Forum Resident

Been living with the digital 24/48 until now
    artistically a great album.
    Black european Optimal pressing bought today...
    Mediocre pressing... (to say the least)
    But also disastrous mastering.
    the worse of all the radiohead album (and I've got them all on vinyl)
    Does someone even listen to the release on a decent turntable before selling this crap ...
    Oh I got it : maybe it's mastered to only be played on a Crosley turntable...
    who mastered for vinyl version anyway ?
    Avoid it... I'll go back to the digital for this one...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    jon9091 likes this.
  6. dh3rm3

dh3rm3 Forum Resident

Can't agree more :

Ok I'm back to my "OLD" vinyl

DML71, robtodd and tin ears like this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

The gift that keeps giving. :love: It feels like a new album with every revisit. There's enough instrumental and lyrical depth to keep it fresh and exciting for years.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    eric777, Alan57, gregorya and 3 others like this.
  8. keoni

keoni Senior Member

jamesc likes this.
  9. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Is this repressing available in a standard 2 LP version?

10. Frightwig

Frightwig Forum Resident

Provided you bought it from WASTE, I expect they would replace the discs if yours are faulty. There's no harm in asking.

11. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

YES!! I'm looking forward to the Greek shows in Berkeley. Their 2 nights there in 2006 were amazing. Can't wait to go back for more!

12. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Love this recording. It's really growing on me... definitely avoiding the vinyl after reading this thread. Is there a repress being done? This sounds like a disaster.

13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm still going strong with this album. Definitely my favorite of 2016. I've certainly played it more than anything else, though I prefer it in bed with the discman lying in the dark. It doesn't really work the same for me in the car.

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

What are the prospects of a DVD from the 2017 tour? :)

15. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Listened to this album for the first time in a while. It's such a beautiful record still and I think I'm enjoying it even more than when it came out.

16. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

I first heard this album a few weeks ago. It's really neat - beautiful textured soundscapes. A favorite from last year, even though I didn't hear it until this year!

17. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Well I've become pretty obsessed with this record, and even though I have a hi res d/l of it, I saw the vinyl (US Black) in the sale bin at my local for $20. I couldn't resist. The pressing isn't a disaster, disc one is perfect, and disc two has very very slight IGD throughout. It is so slight that you can barely hear it. Needless to say I actually prefer the LP. It has a sparkle that is missing from the digital.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thought the Daydreaming video was good.

19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

There are also videos of Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood (and a vintage sythesizer) doing stripped down versions of a few songs. I wonder if they did all of them that way and if they will be released...

IanL likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thought Daydreaming video was a Tom Yorke solo single. Way more cutting edge than say Coldplay.

21. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Ya think?! :laugh:

Sorry couldn't help myself.

22. obi

obi Forum Resident

Anything ever released by any band is more cutting edge than Coldplay :)

Captain Caveman, havenz and Jarra Lad like this.
  23. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

It's better than good. PTA directed, Radiohead performed - what's not to like?

IanL likes this.
  24. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

I bought on amazon from a UK seller in order to avoid the Rainbo pressing. The shipping won't set you back like international shipping on most merchant websites either.

25. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

That guy needs a strong cup of coffee.

Lucca90 and mikemoon like this.