Radiohead at Blossom Music Center, 8/21/03

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leppo, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian Thread Starter

radiohead appropriately, opened with sit down, stand up.
    "walk into the jaws of hell."
    very good house mix.
    could hear everything so clearly.
    they then followed with morning bell one the best tunes from the kid a/amnesiac sessions.
    then lucky,
    myxoatosis which was great,
    then an odd selection imo, kid a,
    another httt track, backdrifts - again great,
    thom says "this is one for when you. . .feel like you're gonna grow into a tree."
    and launches into there there - very cool,
    where i end and you begin,
    go to sleep - again just loved the httt material,
    paranoid android was plagued with tech problems on j. greenwood's tele.
    btw, the guitars of course ruled - teles, strats, ricks and thom acoustics.
    sail to the moon on an old upright studio piano,
    a punch-up at the wedding,
    2+2=5,
    idioteque cut a bit short with thom screaming
    "this one is for the children' numerous times after the band has stopped playing."
    exit music with an embarrassing clap along,
    the national anthem
    and end of set.
    they returned for 5 tunes in a row,
    a wolf at the door,
    dollars and cents with the awesome ed o'brien tele part.
    no surprises,
    the bends,
    and the gloaming ended the first set of encores.
    they returned for two more,
    street spirit
    and everything in its right place.
    a very good show imo and
    i look forward to doing again saturday at alpine valley.

anyone else catch this tour yet?

2. JWB

JWB New Member

I was at the Blossom show and the Camden/Philly show as well.

Blossom was better all around...better performance...better sound...better setlist...better crowd.

Philly had an obnoxious, drunken crowd that sang along loudly...obscuring the muddy PA mix.

The best thing about Philly:

There was a big screen above the lawn. It was clear and un-tampered with, unlike the screens on stage. You could see all of their facial expressions...and they had camera angles everywhere! Phil or Colin would look into a camera and smile or make some facial expression, and the whole lawn would go WILD!

Blossom didn't have a big screen. :mad:

In Philly, Phil was dapper in a white suit...and you could clearly see him singing backing vocals into a headset in a couple of songs.

Colin and Thom danced around a whole lot more in Philly!

One interesting thing about the Blossom show....

Nobody seemed to notice (except me and the guy next to me) that they actually *screwed up* the end of "Idioteque". They all came in on a different beat. Thom cut the end short and didn't sing because it dissolved into a train wreck. He physically put his hand on Colin's keyboard to make him stop, looking quite agitated. Then after it was over, he sang the end lyrics a-capella. THERE'S a version that won't be on a live album!

I don't like the new version of "Kid A". They cut out the first verse. I have a live soundboard version from 2000 that is outstanding....but the band foolishly thought it sucked and said they were putting it aside to be re-arranged later. Now what they've come up with has less interesting instrumentation and they cut out a verse. The live 2002 version of "I Will" was magical...the bare, finished version plaes in comparison. Same goes for "Lift". They often do that...it's like Bob-Dylan-Revisionist-itis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.