Radiohead -- new vinyl pressings May 20, 2016?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lucan_g, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident Thread Starter

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  2. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Their catalogue is transition to XL. Id assume these are straight represses of their catalogue under the XL banner. No word on remastering or extras.

patient_ot and lucan_g like this.
  3. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I said this in another thread, but I kinda doubt new XL pressings will be an improvement over original Parlophone pressings or the Capitol reissues, which both sound excellent, in my opinion. I think whatever vinyl I have from the XL label has been pretty shoddy, at best.

lucan_g likes this.
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

5. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I dunno how new Radiohead pressings might work, but I think XL usually does their US pressings at United. So, yeah...

jimhb and patient_ot like this.
  6. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i know that my XL pressings of 'in rainbows' and 'the king of limbs' are fantastic sounding. flat. centered. i picked up IR last year from the UK, and i got TKOL last month, from kops (i noticed you're in toronto) ….. for $14.99 !!! fantastic (dead quiet) pressing as well (made in the EU). you MIGHT still be able to find this older XL IR at sonicboom. i think at one point i noticed they actually carried that version, which surprised me, as i had ordered mine from overseas. of course kops might have this version of IR as well. i've not heard the north american UME LP version of IR, as i was playing it safe going for the UK XL. as for the new XL pressings and where the US versions will be pressed, i have no idea.

lucan_g likes this.
  7. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

A more official announcement but lacking of all the critical detail one in this forum would expect...good luck researching this to death. If they included hi rez downloads...now then I might pull the trigger (with good DR values of course etc.)

Radiohead albums get reissued through XL »

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  8. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Are these US only? The only XL listings I could find on UK based websites are at Bleep but they told me that they are not new pressings, just restocking of old ones. Some more information would really be helpful here.

9. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Yeah I am not holding my breath for these ones...

10. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Just FYI, for those of you looking to get a Parlophone pressed OK Computer before this switchover to XL happens, around 2008 Capitol stopped pressing their own copies of OK Computer, and began putting Parlophone pressed copies into the sleeves, despite it saying Capitol in the lower left corner of the backside of the packaging. These copies won't have a "From The Capitol Vaults" sticker on it. I just picked one up for $22 at a local store and sure enough it had the Parlophone vinyl inside.

It seems like it's a bit of a toss up as to whether you'll get Parlophone pressings or Capitol pressings though, so YMMV on this.

arrowman and dadonred like this.
  11. Randolf Sears

Randolf Sears Well-Known Member

So What I'm getting from this is that the XL will not be anything special over the Parlaphones? I haven't bought OK Computer, Kid A, or Amnesiac yet and I'm interested in which version would be best.

arrowman likes this.
  12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

13. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

If they are remasters... aren't the band giving bits of mastertape away with the new LP?.. what are they mastering from, CD? 'We have copies' they say. COPIES! (ducks). Seriously though, I'd be looking to replace my Capitol Vaults 'The Bends' which has awful scraping sounds all over side 2.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm rolling the dice on a new copy of "The Bends" on XL vinyl. I was underwhelmed by the Capitol "From The Vaults" pressing. I'll compare the two and decide how to proceed in regards to the rest of my Radiohead vinyl collection.

15. Yes, the UK issued XL pressings are all quite good. TKOL and In Rainbows are both silent, flat and without visible / audible flaws. In fact they're probably among the best new pressings I've had in a long time.

polchik likes this.
  16. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Please let us know, my version of the Bends is somewhat noisy. I'd be interested in Kid A too...I stopped buying Radiohead after the live I Might be Wrong. I can't say I find any of their newer records as compelling as Kid A for the mood or OK Computer.

pinkrudy and John Bliss like this.
  17. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Anyone think Radiohead and XL will release a compilation of rarities and one-offs?

I Want None of This
    These Are My Twisted Words
    Harry Patch (in memory of)
    Super Collider
    The Butcher
    Spectre
    Lift* (allegedly recorded during the AMSP sessions)
    Follow Me Around * (me dreaming)

etc.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    Summerisle likes this.
  18. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I got my copy of OK Computer today.
    It's better than my Capital Vault copy pressed at Rainbo. Seems like it had pretty great fidelity to me, though I don't have the pressing with the original stampers to compare to. They are good enough to warrant purchasing of other Radiohead titles in this series, if you don't want to order from Overseas in the US. Looks like it's pressed at MPO as well, who do pretty good work on the whole. I'm betting they are all from MPO.

19. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

glad to hear it sounds good. did you happen to order from Amazon or somewhere else?

20. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Just Amazon.com

21. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

I wouldn't brag about a bad source; I'd upgrade. :^)

22. motionoftheocean

interesting. I pre-ordered a few of these from Amazon as well. if you have the patience to read through it, here's my post about what happened with the first copy I received yesterday.

Radiohead vinyl versions »

23. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Looking at your post, I think OK Computer I got is this copy from 2015 for the US market. Deadwax is the same at least.
    Also it's the same for the jacket as yours, it only says Capital, but the labels have Parlophone.
    I'm just happy to have a listenable clean copy without surface noise everywhere.

24. motionoftheocean

so yours doesn't say XL on it anywhere, either?

25. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Nope, not anywhere on the disc or jacket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.