Radiohead - OKNOTOK "OK Computer" Anniversary Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, May 2, 2017.

1. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

So let me get this straight: you had a label send you 3 replacement LPs for a set that had some "scuffing/light scratching" that didn't affect the sound quality or playback in any way? No wonder these companies are charging $50 for a 3LP set these days - because there are people buying records who shouldn't be. The rest of us are subsidizing your replacements.

If you can't handle some paper scuffs that don't cause any skipping or popping, perhaps you should stick with CDs.

2. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

I've been listening to Airbag on three different copies of the album. (1) UK 1st press, (2) UK '90s-early 2000s repress (clearly pressed on a different record press on slightly lighter vinyl), and (3) the new US blue vinyl. I have to give the UK 1st press the edge for a little more sparkle in the high end and slightly more depth in the midrange. Those qualities are not as evident on the UK repress. I do like the extra low bass extension present on the new mastering. I don't have a strong preference one way or the other about the overall slightly louder bass in the new mastering vs the way it sounded on the older mastering. All three versions sound great, and I can imagine that the new one would sound better than the old one using a different stylus/speaker combo. (I was listening with a Shure M3D on Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers.)

One song down, eleven to go!

tightplatonic likes this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

To be fair, we don't know what level of scratches he's talking about. I still have some of the Classic Records pressings that had (literally) dozens of scuffs (patches of scratches) that looked like someone had taken a piece of sandpaper to the vinyl. Most didn't affect play but it was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever seen.

TheFlesh likes this.
  4. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Just returned my EU 3-LP set because of groove noise and too many pops & clicks. The LPs looked fine visually, but...

5. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Yes and no. The remaster is slightly better mastered but also slightly more compressed - it's hard to recommend it.

Bluebair, WonkyWilly and AFOS like this.
  6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

They should have marketed it as "laser etched" or something... ;)

7. TheFlesh

TheFlesh I eat fried foods.

I'm not talking just some light paper scuffs. Those were there but there were also actual scratches from the discs rubbing against one another during transit. Two out of the three discs looked like someone had taken a nail and purposely albeit lightly dragged it across one of the discs about five times. I don't think you'd have been happy with that either. I spent $130 on the box set and both times they sent discs, they were scratched and upon closer listen there WERE 4-5 audible pops. If I'm spending that kind of cash on a record I expect it to arrive in mint condition. They had obviously been sliding around against each other during shipping and that was unacceptable to me.

Sorry if that makes you angry, but to a collector even if it didn't cause a sound problem, a visual grading is extremely important. I have been collecting records for 20 years and have never had this problem before and it sounds like I'm not the only one here.

I own records from the early 60's that look in better condition than the ones I received. To suggest that because I asked for a replacement ONE time in my life is the reason records cost so much is ludicrous. Blame the record companies for that. 3 replacement discs probably cost them next to nothing to press.

A NEW vinyl should look and play NEW. Granted, they don't make em like they used to but cmon now...shouldn't we expect a little better than that? If you're still not convinced I'll take some photos and you tell me if you'd be "fine" with that for $130.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    Preston likes this.
  8. TheFlesh

I don't know about the regular vinyl edition but the box set came with discs "pressed in E.U." When I asked for replacement discs, I specified that I would like the same ones. They quickly replaced them for me as promised and this time they were shipped from the U.K. I am very pleased with their prompt delivery even though one of the discs still had some minor damage - I was able to piece together a Mint set thankfully.

9. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

I asked for a replacement of disc 1 due to a visible scratch / drag mark through 'Karma Police'. Just played the replacement - same thing, only worse, FFS!

It took 4 e-mails to Waste to get them to send replacements the first time. Here we go again.

10. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

This is such an infuriating hobby at times.

eric777, jamesc and John Adam like this.
  11. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Just checked mine and you're right, made in E.U. Totally missed that.

TheFlesh likes this.
  12. TheFlesh

Well there ya go! I do know some were pressed in the US...at least I believe that's what I saw on Discogs..

13. TheFlesh

Damn man. It only took one email and I got a reply within one day that they were shipping me new discs but like yours, even the replacements had scratches. Thankfully I was able to piece together a Mint set of 3 or I'd be pissed too. At least they TRIED to ship the discs outside of the box to prevent seam splits but they didn't do a great job. They obviously rubbed back and forth during shipping. They should have used better sleeves and/or better tape.

14. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone who's been following this thread that we'd eventually get a video for the last of the three "new" songs on OKNOTOK:

(How many references can you spot?)

15. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

If there's not already, I think there should be a poll for the three "new" songs released on OKNOTOK...I Promise, Man of War, and Lift. Nice little EP on their own, really.

Which is everyone's favorite?

Mine changes daily. I like all three :)

16. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

With the way they've been cranking out these great videos over the past 2 years, they may as well pick out songs from the catalogue to make more. In Rainbows turns 10 next month--have at it!

17. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I know Radiohead has been kind of loathe to release a live album and the one they did a long time ago was clearly half-hearted and probably under record label pressure. But if they like printing money, they should put out a live album before Christmas culled from this 2017 tour. It's been great setlist spanning all of their albums. A 2 disc Live Radiohead record would be amazing.

jamesc, Summerisle, aphexj and 3 others like this.
  18. drivingfrog

Methinks they feel they have that ground covered with the recent relaunch of the live video archive.

19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Maybe they need to make a movie... ;)

drivingfrog likes this.
  20. drivingfrog

For anyone interested, here's a Kid A warmup gig that sounds incredible. Mixed by Nigel Godrich for potential release.

21. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Isn't this only a rumor, much-believed because of the incredible sound? I might have missed the definitive word on this, so I would love to know as well. It's a beautiful recording.

22. Nigel Godrich professionally recorded several dates on Radiohead's tour in support of Kid A and later Amnesiac, including their "homecoming" concert at Oxford's South Park. My understanding is that a radio station in Europe* was responsible for the Berlin 2000 promo CDRs getting out, but these had already been withdrawn in favour of what eventually became the I Might Be Wrong - Live Recordings EP. I'm willing to guess they wanted to wait until a few extra songs were introduced into their sets, as performances in 2001 especially were a lot more varied, including plenty of the electronic tracks from Amnesiac such as Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box and a rearranged piano version of Like Spinning Plates along with songs first performed the previous year... I can still remember my excitement at hearing Idioteque when this finally surfaced during the second leg, just weeks before its parent album leaked online. The resulting live document was quite lacking, and I'm sure a full live set was part of an earlier plan. During the promotional campaign for Hail To The Thief, we got at least two further promotional releases in the form of Not My Fault (Live At Electric Lady Studios) and Live At Capitol Records, though I still can't tell if that last one was an official item or not.

*If you're in any doubt that this kind of thing happened, a French channel somehow managed to get an early copy of Amnesiac that featured Cuttooth in the eventual place of Hunting Bears, providing a source for bootleggers months ahead of this song reaching patient fans as one of several b-sides issued with the Knives Out single.

mattazing likes this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Lose the man-bun Yorke!

In related news:

Radiohead dive into Blue Planet II

Radiohead have teamed up with composer Hans Zimmer to work on the soundtrack to the BBC's forthcoming natural history series, Blue Planet II.

Inspired by the sounds of the sea, the band have recorded an orchestral version of the song Bloom, from their 2011 album The King Of Limbs.

Called (ocean) bloom, the piece will be featured in a five-minute prequel, released on 27 September.

It features new vocals from Thom Yorke alongside the BBC Concert Orchestra.

"Bloom was inspired by the original Blue Planet series so it's great to be able to come full circle with the song and reimagine it for this incredible landmark's sequel," said Yorke in a press release.

"Hans is a prodigious composer who effortlessly straddles several musical genres so it was liberating for us all to work with such a talent and see how he wove the sound of the series and Bloom together."

jamesc, Summerisle and soundQman like this.
  24. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

RE:
    OMG - I only recently found this on the Radiohead live bootleg blog (mentioned earlier in this thread) and it is a wonderful recording and show. I can't recommend it highly enough.

RubenH, drivingfrog and Quincy like this.
  25. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

There are also two XFM promo cd's with both Earl's Court performances from November 2003, iirc.

ShardEnder likes this.