Radiohead - OKNOTOK "OK Computer" Anniversary Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, May 2, 2017.

1. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I know of a pre-fm for one show, but the other one is still unsurfaced as far as I know.

2. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Where is this video archive you speak of? I did an internet search but found nothing, even on their official site. I'd be grateful for a link.

3. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Look for their YouTube channel. It has links to loads of shows from 2016 and 2017.

JeffMo and drivingfrog like this.
  4. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

I admit it's interesting that he still sports it after all these years.

5. WonkyWilly

RADIOHEAD.TV

ToneLa likes this.
  6. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

WonkyWilly likes this.
  7. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Correct, 26/11 is doing the rounds, but 27/11 is only in hands of a few collector's.

WonkyWilly likes this.
  8. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I suppose, but there's a certain art and romance to having an actual live album in your official canon. I wish they'd make another more definitive live album, a double that doesn't feel like an after-thought. To me, this year is the year to do it!

qtrules, jamesc, Quincy and 3 others like this.
  9. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

I agree. The live EP has its own energy that allows it a respectable spot in their canon. They had some very potent performances from the Pool cycle, so it'd be nice to see an LP mixed and compiled from the 2016/17 shows like that EP was.

10. I've considered putting together my own compilation from the 2016-7 live shows uploaded to Radiohead's official YouTube channel over the last few weeks, but many of these only have mono audio, meaning I'd be limited to a handful of concerts where the performances may not be the best of what's available...

drivingfrog likes this.
  11. WonkyWilly

There's also differences between the shows that are stereo. Some have crowd mixed in and some do not, etc...

ShardEnder likes this.
  12. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I don’t want to start a debate but rather, just ask a question. This is a long thread and I just don’t feel like going through 60 pages to find the answer.

What am I supposed to be hearing in this that I couldn’t hear in the original master?

Ok, I get that the bonus disc is definitely something that would be desired, but why the remastering? It was advertised as though this “new technology” was supposed to do something special yet I don’t hear anything added except for some added bass and some additional loudness.

To be honest, the more I listen to it the more I regret buying it. It sounds more harsh and brighter then before.

Please, someone tell me what I am missing.

YpsiGypsy likes this.
  13. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

I'm not nuts about the mastering either, nor am I thrilled at the "additions" to the songs (these amount to things as slight as an extra cymbal crash in a section of "Paranoid Android" to the "bleep-bloops" at the end of "Let Down" beginning earlier in the song).

pinkrudy and eric777 like this.
  14. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Just opened my new 3-LP set and was appalled at the look of the vinyl on sides A and B. It looks like some of the pellets weren't completely melted, so there are small "chunks" embedded in the wax--utterly unplayable for sure.

Infuriating indeed...

15. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Awful QC.

vonwegen and sennj like this.
  16. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

I’ve been getting the U.K./Europe copies and it’s been hit and miss as well.I finally have good copies of most, but only a couple came in good shape the first time. That said, I really like them once I get good copies.

I returned my first copy of OKNOTOK because there was a scratch on Climbing Up the Walls. Pulled the replacement out and there was a scratch on Climbing Up the Walls, it even looked similar!

Same thing happened on Sail to the Moon on Hail to the Thief. Hoping the 3rd time is a charm. Fingers crossed.

vonwegen likes this.
  17. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I just ordered the standard 3LP set from US Amazon over the weekend when the price dropped, and I got the Made in the EU pressing. Without combing through 60 pages, are there any significant differences between the US and EU versions? My copy is flat and silent, but seems like it's just a bit on the loud side.

I'm happy with the package overall. I loved this album so much back in '97 when it first dropped that I listened to it constantly and kind of burned out on it pretty quickly. After 20 years or so, I'd missed listening to it.

18. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Yep, 'Dimension', Soundstage, Imaging... More often than not that seems to be missing on a lot of the newer remasters... o_O Many times even the better ones, although having a clarity or sound and separation, the sounds seem like they were artificially created in a 'sterile' environment. Thus, sometimes the lack of 'Dimension', or that it is 'really' there...

erowid likes this.
  19. latheofheaven

Sadly, I noticed something similar with KISS: Destroyer, the resurrected version. One of my very favourite songs, God of Thunder, was really changed in this same way. Whereas before the childlike background voices and wails gave it a real ghostly flavour, I notice that in the resurrected version he brought all those sounds forward and made them almost the same volume as the major rhythm / melody, thus kind of lumping it all into the same volume sounding mass rather than a textured, atmospheric sound like the original. I was considering snagging that version of the album, but all I had to hear was about half of that song and that killed it for me...

20. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

So I'm listening to my copy for the second time through, and it sounds quite noticeably better. Less distorted. The only cleaning it's gotten is the carbon fiber brush I use every time I play a record. Is it possible that there was some residue that has been cleared away by the first pass of the stylus? The difference is pretty surprising.

21. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

A UK music magazine, I believe Melody Maker, did an article trying to track down Radiohead in late 98 or even early 2000 (edit, found it!)

I seem to recall a rumour that the follow up to OK Computer would be called Cogs, or even "cogs sarcy cogs swrking round" which was a title taken from their website for the song, interestingly, "Last Flowers"

I love Kid A, but a part of me yearns for that album, especially when you see things like the 1997 soundcheck of Thom doing "Last Flowers".

Anywho, Radiohead always try their new stuff on the road, and snatches of songs were in Meeting People is Easy and a webcast or two. .. So around this time frame, said magazine article said this album would feature the known but unreleased songs, probably the guitar versions if they continued down the classic 97-98 sound path... Here's what I was dreaming of back in 99/early 2000!

Side A)
    Lift
    Man of War
    Follow Me Around
    I Promise
    Last Flowers til the Hospital
    True Love Waits
    Side B)
    Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Knives Out
    Egyptian (Pyramid) Song
    Life in a Glasshouse
    How To Disappear Completely and Never Be Found
    I Will
    Nude

----------

That article is great read!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  22. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Got tix to Thom Yorke tomorrow night. Stoked!

23. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Ah, hindsight is amazing...

latheofheaven likes this.
  24. latheofheaven

:edthumbs: Nice Avatar Sauron! [​IMG]

25. latheofheaven

Yeah, you can say that again... And, since my head is usually up my @ss, the view is indeed amazing...

ToneLa likes this.