Radiohead - OKNOTOK "OK Computer" Anniversary Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bleachershane, May 2, 2017.

1. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Thanks Ursula!

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Very good... [​IMG]

3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

Now this is THE real successor to ok computer.

Sad it never happened.

ToneLa likes this.
  4. I'm sorry if I missed it, but did anybody mention ripping the tracks from the cassette? I have the cassette, but can't play it.

5. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

There was a download card in the box for the cassette tracks. Fortunately the download was a wav file. Unfortunately there were only two files, one for Side A and one for Side B, so I had to sit and manually index them and chop 'em apart so I could replay specific songs in the future.

bleachershane, JediJoker and EVOLVIST like this.
  6. Dammit! I bought mine second-hand. No card. :cussing:

Is the music worth it? I've heard tell there are really cool things on there.

7. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

I'm rarely the type that goes deep into demos and such on given re-release. That said, I enjoyed listening to the cassette material quite a bit. It really demonstrates them stretching their wings. Some of it is them noodling around with peddle effects, but it was cool to hear the creative process nonetheless. I would check YouTube for a stream and see if you could at least hear it once. Overall, you wouldn't listen to it more than the stuff you already have.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  8. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I've listened to it twice, that's enough for me for a long time. It's cool yeah, but not something I'd play often.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. SeventhTime

SeventhTime Well-Known Member

Listening to the new remaster, I can't think of what I like better about it compared to the original. Usually I want remasters to sort out issues like lack of bass or more clarity, but by 1997 we weren't really having those issues.

Only think worthwhile would of been less compression, to create a definitive version. At this stage, the original suits all my needs, the compression doesn't bother me, but the remaster seems a step too far for me in that regard.

latheofheaven likes this.
  10. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I had the records on again a few months ago, and I think OKNOTOK works best on the more spacious, less sonically-claustrophobic tracks.

Some of it sounds quite good in places, but the best-sounding stuff are still the three tracks they unearthed from the sessions, which don't sound like they did a ton of compressing to them.

jamesc, latheofheaven and JeffMo like this.
  11. j_justice

j_justice Active Member

Sorry for coming late with some questions. I purchased what I thought was an EU version. It says printed in the EU on the back of the jacket. I bought it because from what I can tell on this thread and on Discogs that the EU version is superior. Once I opened it though, I have the NA version. The vinyl has NA labels and etching. Has anyone had this experience? It sounds like crap. Lots of pops and clicks and even a skip. I'm going to clean it before I try to return it. Thanks.

12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

This is the Box Set Thread and the Vinyl was Pressed at Optimal for this Box Set.

Maybe you can get an answer on a Radiohead Vinyl Thread as I know there was one active a few years ago on Radiohead New Vinyl Pressings for 2016. Although, I never heard of NA being on the Matrix like you mentioned(if that is what you meant by 'Etching'), and each Pressing Plant has their own Code(think Optimal uses BG in the Matrix on their Radiohead Pressings). There seem to be more complaints about Optimal in the past year, so even if you get an EU Pressed version, no guarantee you will not have Pressing Flaws.

Actually, before all the Albums were re-released under the XL Label in the Fall of 2016, there were some Titles where the Jacket Information indicated Capital, so you would think the Vinyl was Pressed by Rainbo or United, but contained Vinyl Records with Parlophone on the Labels(think for that version, "OKC' was Pressed at MPO-France, but cannot recall for sure). You can read that thread for more details, but probably too late now to find those Older Versions. A lot of those copies were floating around Barnes & Noble at the time(Spring of 2016 just before XL Reissues were coming out), but now their stock for all Radiohead Titles are the XL Label on the Jacket(unless a rare older one is still out there in a store somewhere).

Now that all the Titles have been reissued under the XL Label, I think buying from a Vendor in the EU is the only way to be certain that the Vinyl was Pressed by an EU Plant(OK Computer 2016 XL EU Reissue was Pressed by Optimal, but strangely the 2016 XL US version was Pressed by MPO from what I saw on Discogs, but not sure about all the other Titles reissued by XL, but you can look it up if you are also looking to buy any other Titles by Radiohead under the XL 2016 Reissues).

If you love the album, you might find some good deals(lower price than original one) on the Deluxe Box Set on Ebay or Discogs, but make sure it is New/Sealed, so the Download Code of the Bonus Songs was not used and make sure the Download Code is still accepted, since it has been about 18 months since the release of the Deluxe Box Set.

13. j_justice

j_justice Active Member

Sorry for not being clear. The jacket is a printed in EU jacket but the records are made in NA versions. The labels say made in NA. The etchings match the discogs entry for the NA pressings. Basically they put NA pressing inside EU jacket. Annoyed.

14. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I promise sounds like a ripoff of a French title, I need to find it and I will post it here.

15. Tartifless

16. Tartifless

And a bit of Piafs (Non, je ne regrette rien).

17. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

or Running Scared, by Roy Orbison. But nevertheless it's beautiful! My favorite track on the 2nd cd of OKNOTOK

18. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

If we’re talking about Radiohead’s OK Computer and ripoffs, there’s no bigger offender than “Karma Police.” I’m surprised Yoko hasn’t tried to get a writing credit for that song, yet.

JediJoker likes this.
  19. Tartifless

Which song are we talking about ?

20. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

I guess he means Instant Karma, although I don't really hear the musical similarities...

21. nicolas0280

nicolas0280 Forum Resident

It sounds more like Sexy Sadie to me.

22. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

“This is what you’ll get...”

JediJoker likes this.
  23. Tartifless

That's quite a stretch, it's not immediately obvious when hearing it.
    I know both songs very well and I never made a direct connection.

24. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Not as much of stretch as that French song you posted. Also I doubt Radiohead ever listened to that French song but I’m willing to bet that every member had heard “Sexy Sadie” before “Karma Police” was recorded. That does make a difference in copyright cases.

25. Tartifless

And now my love hit the charts worldwide (Elvis, Shirley Bassey, Ben E King...), Becaud had a bit single in the UK also.
    The melody is as close as Creep and The Air That You Breath.

Don't forget UK and France artists know artists from the other country, of course from a US point of view I understand what you are saying