Radiohead-Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chiron, Jul 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chiron

Chiron Active Member Thread Starter

I recently had the chance to listen to Radiohead's "Hail to the Thief", and I must say that I enjoyed it even though it was quite strange. Now, I've heard about this band since OK Computer came out, but I never really got into them. From what I've heard, OK Computer and The Bends are "classics", but there may be some other great suggestions that I am not aware of. Like I need any more discs to buy...

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Run out right now Ok Computer, and The Bends. They are essential to any collection. Both albums are near perfect, two of the best albums of the 1990's.

Kid A and Amnesiac are also reccomended. Pablo Honey is good, but it really doesn't compare to their later output.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

OK Computer is the perfect place to start. Great all around.

4. audio

audio New Member

I agree with this completely.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I agree too

6. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

In addition to your Radiohead albums, I STRONGLY suggest that you pick up two albums by the Flaming Lips "The Soft Bulletin" and "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots".

7. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The Bends-great introduction.

I love The Flaming Lips also but they are a different breed from Radiohead.

Joe Lee

8. Prettyboyfloyd

Prettyboyfloyd New Member

Ok Computer
    The Bends
    Hail to the Thief
    Amnesiac
    Kid A
    Pablo Honey

Buy them in this order, if you're on a budget!

*Note*Pablo Honey is weak....but the song "Creep" is on it, and that song is fantastic...the rest is poor!

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Agreed, I would go Bends then OK Computer.

But don't forget Hail to The Thief. Grrreat record. Man, Capitol is doing some amazing work this year! AND they let Steve play with Peggy!! :D Bravo!!

10. JWB

JWB New Member

Personally, I don't like" The Bends".

The boys had a really hard time recording it, and fought to the bitter end with the record company about which songs to include. Many of the best songs from this period wound up as b-sides! I find the album to be very watered down in comparison.

This doesn't mean anything of course, since the English consider it to be the best album ever made.

"Pablo Honey" is more enjoyable for me because it's more innocent.

"Ok Computer" is, in my opinion, their true masterpiece.

"Kid A" is considered by many to be their best, becasue it is so daring and has such a strong flow.

"Amnesiac" is a less successful version of "Kid A", and I lost a lot of interest in it after a couple of listens.

"Hail To The Thief" is a perfect culmination of their various styles.

If you go backwards to their previous albums, it's sort of like seperating the elements that make the whole of "Hail To the Thief".

They have 2 CD's worth of B-sides, most of which a truly excellent.

11. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I agree that some of their best "Bends" era tracks were B-sides, or EP tracks. The "My Iron Lung" EP is essential listening. You can usually find it for a pretty decent price as an import. Talk Show Host is reason alone to pick up that disc.

The Bends is still an excellent disc, there is not a bad track on the album. It's perfect, as far as I'm concerned. The B-Sides and non-album tracks that ended up on the EP are just icing on the cake.

Ok Computer is their masterpiece, no question about it. I do get frustrated when everyone compares a new Radiohead album with Ok Computer. Radiohead will probably never top that album, but that's alright by me. Hail to the thief is a fantastic album, I anxiously await their next album.

12. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

Sorry, but I would get Pablo Honey before either Kid A or Amnesiac. If you like "songs" versus "ideas", and if you like "music" played by instruments versus, I don't know, "stuff", then again Pablo Honey beats out Kid A or Amnesiac. I'm sorry, but IMHO, those albums are awful. Because they put out OK Computer before them, the public has basically given them a 2-album "get out of jail" card for releasing such crap (and I have both albums plus the live album of tracks from the two - I just don't learn!! :) ).

Cliff

13. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I think that's an unfair picture of Kid A and Amnesiac. They're really not THAT experimental. Examples: Optomistic, Pyramid Song, Knives Out, I Might Be Wrong, How to dissapear completely, Morning Bell, You and Whose Army?.

While there are some strange tracks (Treefingers, Pulk/pull revolving doors)
    the albums still work. Kid A and Amnesiac could have been compressed into one really solid single album, but then I'd have to buy all the other songs as expensive import singles!

14. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I think Kid A and Amnesiac are much better than "awful." it took me a while to get into both, but Kid A, in particular, has some great stuff. it's one of those albums like Sandinista! that rewards repeated listenings.

I agree with the other guys on order of preference. The Bends might be a little more accessible than OK Computer, but if you're digging Hail to the Thief, it sounds like you're ready for OKC.

15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Believe it or not I have never heard Pablo Honey except for the "Creep" tune. I first came to know Radiohead through Kid A and I've not been disappointed with any of their material since. I might like them better after hearing their previous albums but they are fine with me at this point.

16. levi

Alex, I just had to comment on your signature quote. What Good Am I? is one of my favorite songs off Oh Mercy. no one hangs himself on the rack the way Bob does, huh.

if you like Kid A, I'd highly recommend OK Computer.

17. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

I agree. I never quite understood all the snide "Thom Yorke goes electronica" putdowns. As far as I can tell, much of the criticism of Radiohead's post-OKC output can be boiled down to "I hate them now because they dared grow in directions I hadn't planned for them." Hell -- I like it when my favorite artists to knock me for a loop by doing something I never expected, and I wish more of them would do just that. But maybe I'm just weird.

Amnesiac may have benefited from a bit of trimming or integrating into another album, but Kid A is a strong piece of work by itself; adding or taking anything out of it could only lessen its impact, IMO.

And that differs from the rest of Radiohead's catalogue how? ;)

18. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

And he he put himself on the racks a couple of times on that album. Insight that only a man his age and experience could know. Some of his best songwriting if you ask me...and I love a lot of his work.

Same goes for your sig of Slow Train.

I'll have to get OK Computer, and have been meaning to for some while now...I've really enjoyed everything since Kid A although most regular followers seem to think this is not their best material.

19. levi

I agree completely. it's a little underrated too ... didn't get all the acclaim of Love & Theft or Time Out of Mind, but in a lot of ways, it has a more personal feel, at least to me.

(didn't mean to hijack the thread, but it was cool to see your quote)

20. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Go to record store right now. Ok Computer is essential. I strongly encourage every member of this forum to buy this disc.

Go on, leave already! Make me a Gort for an hour, I'll watch over this place! ;)

Seriously, Ok Computer is a masterpiece, it's my favorite album of the 90's. "The Tourist" is my favorite Radiohead song, the whole album speaks to me. Paranoid Android, Climbing up the walls (the zero 7 remix is great as well) No Surprises, Airbag, Karma Police, hell the entire disc is bubbling over with phenomenal songs. Listen to it all the way through, it gets better every time!

21. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Tyler...I will get a copy tomorrow. My local "used" store has a couple of copies.

Can you wait until then? :D

22. JWB

JWB New Member

Thom Yorke would disagree with you. He thinks that "Kid A" is the only good album they've ever made! :laugh:

23. JWB

JWB New Member

Not to mention "Everything In It's Right Place"....

It send shivers up my spine every time...especially in headphones!

24. jsz1002

jsz1002 Forum Resident

I agree about picking up some of the b-sides. Unlike most bands, their b-sides are as good or almost better than the album tracks. However, there are many singles/eps to buy to get them all. Talk Show Host isn't on the My Iron Lung ep...but rather the Street Spirit single.

25. Prettyboyfloyd

Prettyboyfloyd New Member

I bought OK Computer b/c i heard a little buzz about. I only had heard "Creep" up to that point. I put that CD in, and I don't think I took it out for 2 weeks! It's that good!
    I agree, it's the best CD of the 90's....nothing gets even close!

I also agree Radiohead will never duplicate it....it's not possible, but their latest effort is very very good!:thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.