Rage Against the Machine (1992) remains one of the best produced albums ever made. So...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by White_Noise, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why do Evil Empire and The Battle of Los Angeles sound so inferior? Is there a story behind this? I've always been a fan of the band but never knew too much about their studio time or general history.

I know a lot of people who use their S/T to test high end systems to this day. While their other studio albums don't sound horrible (certainly no where near Californication level), I've heard both CD and vinyl and they sound so much more anemic and fatiguing. Morello brought his guitar playing and innovative use of effects to new heights. It's kind of a shame.

smokeverbs and RelayerNJ like this.
  2. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

It does sound great! Unfortunately about 99.9% of the SHForum folks have neither heard it nor want to. The Chipmunks Christmas records are more highly regarded...

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I'm one of those long-term forum members who grew up through my college years listening to RATM.

I like the S/T and Evil Empire, but they are period pieces and very groundbreaking. They signaled a very strong turn into political awareness and heavy crossover rap/metal. I like Morello. You realize things kinda went Audioslave and that isn't all that bad either.

That micro-genre and style could not withstand the storm of post 90's change though. Over time, I think Evil Empire sounds dated and over-commercialized.

DrBeatle and Rockos like this.
  4. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I think Evil Empire sounds great too. Battle of Los Angeles is brickwalled.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Forum Resident

You're right. It does still hold up really well, doesn't sound outdated at all.

Not sure exactly what makes it sound so superior to their other albums. There is a really great definition for each instrument, but it does also have the bands most iconic songs (which helps).

6. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

At the time it seemed like the change in production from s/t to evil empire had a lot to do with grunge becoming so dominant (especially since brendan o'brien produced the latter album), whereas s/t sounded a lot more like a metal record comparatively. Also I remember all the buzz about their live shows being so great and it seemed at the time like they might have been trying to capture some of that rawness, and also everyone I know noticed that the drums sounded very different, more live i guess (or just more compressed). My favorite is still s/t though, and like others have said the original RL vinyl truly is awesome.

7. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Evil Empire has my favourite drum sounds of all time, actually.

8. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Wicked debut, here's a taste for the uninitiated.

Thurenity likes this.
  9. Gallileo

Gallileo Forum Resident

Outstanding debut. And, yes, it sounds g-r-e-a-t.
    Here you can read an "audiophile" review.

Jasonb, BIG ED and johnnypaddock like this.
  10. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

1992 was right at the peak of CD mastering, imo -- past LP / cassette dominance so CD masterings were of primary importance, but before the Loudness Wars kicked in.

11. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

I would have loved to have heard the songs from s/t recorded and produced in the manner of evil empire, in this case the tradeoff of fidelity for vibe would be worth it.

Rockin' Robby and 2xUeL like this.
  12. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

It's a classic album for sure. Can somebody post what are the best available versions?

13. Vagabond

Vagabond Forum Resident

This is probably the reason.

This thread inspired me to look up info on their producer for their first album. Garth Richardson has a fair list of credentials (although some not great ones, ie, Nickelback(!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Richardson

But nothing there is quite as iconic as this album. Funny to me that the band didn't use him again on their albums as like the OP suggests their S/T still sounds incredible. So is this purely down to mastering, or did the recording/production methods play a part?

sacsongs likes this.
  14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Never heard it, but it sounds like the recent anniversary issue is pretty bad. The original cd is PHENOMANAL.

driverdrummer and 2xUeL like this.
  15. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I used to DJ "Killing In The Name Of" at a club through a large PA, and it sounded Phenomonal. There was just no other track that could sound so huge and clear and defined all at once.

At that volume with huge subs it really was astounding.

And of course the dancefloor would always erupt.

16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Amazing album. Amazing sound.

The original vinyl is one great sounding piece of wax. The cd isn't a lightweight either.

I like EM and BOLA but don't own a copy of either but I did just order the Music on Vinyl version of EM as I've heard it sounds good and is cut from the original metal parts so it should be all analog.

As far as Brendan O'Brien he has worked on some great sounding albums (Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Core, Superunknown, Hollywood Townhall, Vitalogy) so it seems hard to blame him if the SQ went down. They also seemed to stick with him afterwards as well. So they must have liked something.

The original vinyl is so good but I still like to imagine how this would sound on 2 - lps cut at 45 RPM from the original master tapes.

dobyblue likes this.
  17. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

This thread made me breakout my RL Vinyl and listen again. Mind is blown.

Geoff, johnnypaddock and mikemoon like this.
  18. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

You know who produced this?

Garth Richardson (son of Jack Richardson, who produced The Guess Who)

I went to school with Garth in 1968/69/70. He was in my Grade 4 class and on my baseball team. We were pals. I met The Guess Who at his house before Wheatfield Soul came out. I still have my signed copy of "A Wild Pair" (which was a promo album with one side of The Guess Who on it)

Nice guy back then (he moved away in the early 70's after his Dad's success) and I see he followed in his Dad's footsteps (he's also produced The Catherine Wheel and 54-40)

19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I've wondered the same too, this clearly demonstrates that vinyl CAN sound good going a little over 22 minutes/side (I think 25 minutes on SIDE B?), but begs the question just what potential was left behind in those original tapes. Hopefully some day we'll get that answer.

White_Noise and theron d like this.
  20. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Exactly. When I first got the original pressing of this lp I though it was a monster. Then I saw how many minutes were mastered to it and thought....2-sides at 45-RPM might rival almost any test reference lp out there.

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Edit: 'EE' not 'EM'

22. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

Wasn't the S/T recorded at Sound City? I wonder if some its magic rubbed off.

White_Noise and driverdrummer like this.
  23. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Everything but "Bullet in the Head".

driverdrummer likes this.
  24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'm 57 years old and I like RATM, I'll admit it.

25. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I'm 53 and like that 1st album. I also liked Audioslave.

theshape likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.