Ralph Story RIP

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by crimsoncing, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member Thread Starter

For those of us who grew up in Los Angeles in the 60's, this was a wonderful man. I watched Ralp Story's Los Angeles every Sunday evening and made several apperances on it. I was a kid and they always interviewed people in front of stores. I made several passes back and forth behind the person being interviewed. lol

TV, Radio Broadcaster Ralph Story Dies
    Sep 27, 1:19 AM EST

Ralph Story, a television and radio broadcaster for three decades and host of the hugely popular quiz show "The $64,000 Challenge" in the 1950s, has died. He was 86.

Story died Tuesday at his home in Santa Ynez, north of Santa Barbara, after a long battle with emphysema, said his longtime colleague and friend, Dan Gingold.

"He was a wonderfully warm gentleman and an extremely talented journalist," Gingold said. "He was not only a good narrator, but was in his own right a producer and writer who became the unofficial historian of Southern California."

Born Ralph Bernard Snyder in Kalamazoo, Mich., he started his broadcasting career in the late 1940s after serving as an Army Air Corps flight instructor and fighter pilot during World War II.

Snyder got his big break in broadcasting 1948 when he was hired to host and direct an early morning show on KNX radio in Los Angeles. At the suggestion of the station's managers, he changed his name to Ralph Story.

Story's casual style and witty observations about life in Los Angeles made him a popular host and won him national recognition.

"Even when he's complaining, as he does occasionally, Ralph is cheerful and amusing," read a 1952 Associated Press profile of Story.

Story later moved into network television, where in 1956 he began hosting the hugely popular quiz show "The $64,000 Challenge." The CBS show was canceled in 1958 while several networks were embroiled in allegations that popular contestants were supplied with answers in advance.

Story, who was not implicated in the scandal, returned to local broadcasting in 1960. He anchored a radio news show on KNX and later joined "The Big News," one of the nation's first hour-long local TV newscasts. His regular feature, "Human Predicament," about people caught in unusual events and situations, became a popular segment. It developed into a local newsmagazine show about the people and places of Los Angeles called "Ralph Story's Los Angeles," which aired for six years.

"It was quite a remarkable broadcast, and won a lot of awards," said Gingold, who produced the show.

Story joined KABC-TV in the 1970s and co-hosted a morning news show that became the precursor to "Good Morning America," Gingold said.

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Another favorite passes. RIP.:(

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Wow,i didnt hear,sorry to hear. Of course living in the Long Beach area all my life he was a part of it.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wow, always liked him as a kid. "The Big News!"

RIP.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Ralph Story was a class act...he loved LA and his gentle humor was a great influence on my growing up. I think all those BIG NEWS guys are gone now...Jerry Dunphy (half the inspiration for the Ted Baxter character), Bill Keene, Gil Stratton. Wonder if pioneering reporter Ruth Ashton-Taylor is still with us?

6. SonicZone

SonicZone Senior Member

He was one of the best L.A. broadcasters there was.

RIP.

:(

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I know Tom Hatton is doing spots on KNX 1070 in SoCal.

8. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

Very sorry to hear of his passing. Ruth Ashton-Taylor is alive & well. She was intervewed this morning on local radio re:Ralph Story.
    84 year old Gil Stratton, "Time to call em as we see em" is still with us.

-Steve D.

9. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

RIP...I rememebr the opening for Ralph's show (animated "highway" closeup..) I had WONDERED had happened to him over the years..RIP

(I saw years ago in the "World Almanac" he was born in 1912--86 would be 1919-1920..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.