Ramases Space Hymns

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dwmann, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

I like the Japan-pressed LP

Platterpus likes this.
  2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I have the box and think it's fantastic :cheers:

Platterpus likes this.
  3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Not cheap I bet.

4. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Fantastic box set and incredible sound quality (in my opinion) throughout!
    Highly Recommended!

Platterpus likes this.
  5. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I picked up this set around the time it originally came out and it sat on my shelf until relatively recently. These are definitely interesting albums.

Listening to Glass Top Coffin around the time I first got the set, I found it really challenging as a whole. Listening now, I almost hear it as a weird sort of parallel in points to songs by King Crimson like "I Talk to the Wind."

I do have to say though, for as nice as the box set treatment is, for someone who likes their music organized, it drives me to distraction that the rarities are only annotated in the packaging with the suffix "(rare)" in most cases. Even having a take number helps me to distinguish them. Definitely a labor of love for Peter Stormare, but I would have loved a wee bit more organization to the thing. :laugh:

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  6. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I bought this box set earlier this year from a merchant that refunded me my money since it was back ordered and then OOP only to have it back in stock again about a month or so later for a couple more dollars. There must have been a repress or some stock was found laying around somewhere. I got it for $30 post paid. Even with disc 6 not being of any interest to me this was a great deal as far as the contents. I only bought this for Glass Top Coffin and the rarities discs. I still have my old Repertoire CD of Space Hymns which I'll never get rid of.

Does anyone have the OOP Esoteric CD of Glass Top Coffin and if so how does the sound compare between this and the version in the box set since the box set was specially remixed for the two proper albums?

In other words, is there much difference in sound between the Esoteric "Glass Top Coffin" compared to the remix in the box set?

For anyone that has the original vinyl how does that compare to the remix in this box for Glass Top Coffin?

7. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I'm just discovering this and may be forced to buy it. BUMPUS! Any other thoughts on which version to get?

8. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

If you're speaking in digital terms, the individual CD can be had for around $12 on Amazon, but the set compiling everything Ramases put out can be had for $36 through Amazon... so, it's really a question of how deep you want to dive here.

9. drasil

drasil Former Resident

for what it's worth, the complete discography box set is on spotify.

smoke likes this.
  10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The 1990 Repertoire CD is real nice sounding. It's cheap to obtain now used. I kept it despite the fact that I bought the box set. The vocals are more audible/upfront in the mix on the box set version. The Repertoire CD, the vocals are kind of buried so you can't make out Ram's vocals as well. I've never heard the original Vertigo LP but I assume the Repertoire CD is more faithful to the original vinyl. But the box set version sounds really good and has good life to it with no noise reduction and it breathes with a little tape hiss. Either way both are very good sounding IMO.

drasil likes this.
  11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I’ve got a vinyl pressing of this on vinyl on Tapestry Records in Liechtenstein (which screams ‘grey market’ to me) and outside of a swirly Vertigo with intact sleeve (not in my budget), I’m mulling over a proper reissue, which is the Mexican Summer version from 2010. Anyone care to comment on this version?

12. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Box set winging its way across from the USA as I type. Not heard the albums since college days (which wa sa long time ago), so looking to making their acquaintance again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.