Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. manco

manco Forum Resident

I've read that HIV re-infection can increase viral load. So his having sex after initial infection with other HIV infected partners might have shortened his life.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  2. Life is for the living. What can I say. We tend to put a clock on things as if longevity is of the essence, but when one's time is up, we live and die in that moment with our choices, or those we didn't make.:shrug:

3. I think they probably wanted an actor to star in their big budgeted movie.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Read back. In that post, I specifically was referring to Lambert VS Martel and not the movie in any way.

5. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

The thing is, that "trope" actually occurred, over and over again throughout the history of popular music.

905 and Michael Rose like this.
  6. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

And let me guess what happens next: Some popular British DJ decides he likes the song and the listeners need to hear it, so he plays it over and over (14x's) over the next two days. So cliche' :winkgrin:

Max Florian likes this.
  7. Don't forget the scene where the band then gets scolded by the record company for having the nerve to make the song a hit behind their backs. :)

GodShifter and Michael Rose like this.
  8. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Yeah, but how many times has the reverse happened: record company says a single will sink like a stone, overconfident band says it won't, single bombs when released. But they don't make biopics about those record execs who were right! :)

9. Jackstar74

Jackstar74 Forum Resident

The wrong Kid died!!

Lownote30 and Max Florian like this.
  10. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I thought Control was very good. The Doors was entertaining enough. I also really enjoyed I'm Not There. Walk The Line is the best I've seen done of any artist. I've actually never seen Sid & Nancy.

11. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story was pretty good. Not a true story but no drama is.

Lownote30 and dmiller458 like this.
  12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Walk The Line was the best one I've seen, but I thought Ray was really good too.

13. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

There's one. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" works because there's no emulation of The Beatles. It's the actual footage. More than that, though, you can feel the presence of The Fab Four throiughout the film, but it's conveyed through the effect that Beatlemania had on the fans. It's an interesting way to go about telling the story, and it's the same technique Oliver Stone used for JFK, which is what made that film so memorable.

I can't give Stone the same kind of credit for "The Doors", where you see Morrison head-on all the time. Or rather a Morrison emulation. I probably would have in years past, but seeing that film inspired me to rent out a couple of real Doors concerts, and the real Jim is so much more charismatic than the fake Jim. He had this way about him that didn't make its path into Stone's interpretation. Attitude. A certain understated cockiness, and swagger.

Back to the thread topic though... I'm going to reserve judgment on the Queen bio until after I see the film. I haven't got any great expectations, but of course I'm going to get a copy when it turns up secondhand on DVD. I'm curious enough about the treatment to want to watch it.

14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

To hell with Rami, let the hottie lead singer from Lake Street Dive play the role!

:nyah:

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  15. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I love Freddie's voice and singing, but this pseudo scientific article is a bit ridiculous. The vibrato produced by the classical/opera singers is done by using quite different technique than rock/pop singers and Freddie Mercury in particular. Actually, there's only one recording I'm aware of that shows Freddie singing with his natural voice and within his natural range - Ensueno from Barcelona LP. Mercury admitted that he initially refused and was shy to sing it this way, but finally he agreed, because Montserrat Caballe insisted.

16. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The article links you to the study - read that. I remember reading it at the time, it's fine.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Stevie Riks, youtube. :D

18. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Thanks, I missed that, just read it. To be honest, didn't understand most of it, but one thing is correct - he was a baritone (many people wrongly believe he was a tenor)

19. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Plus there was no way of knowing you had HIV before 1985, when the first tests became available. Those were notoriously inaccurate, generating a lot of false positives. A more reliable test did not become available until 1987, by which time the damage was already done to hundreds of thousands.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Lost In The Flood and Sondek like this.
  20. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The film will most likely bring with it renewed interest in Queen in the U.S....

"The film's namesake hit rises to No. 8.

Queen occupies three of the top 20 spots on Billboard's Hot Rock Songs chart dated June 2, thanks to streaming and sales gains for the iconic band's catalog after the May 18 arrival of the first trailer for its upcoming biopic, Bohemian Rhapsody.

The film's namesake song rises 10-8 on the chart, which blends streaming, sales and airplay data (and welcomes older songs if they show meaningful gains and ranks in the top 25), with bumps of 19 and 17 percent in sales and streaming, respectively, in the week ending May 24, according to Nielsen Music. "Rhapsody" drew 4.7 million U.S. streams and sold 4,000 downloads in the tracking week.

The song is followed by "Another One Bites the Dust" (No. 13; 3.3 million streams, 2,000 sold) and "We Will Rock You" (No. 17; 2.7 million streams, 3,000 sold), with all three songs appearing in the trailer.

Concurrently, Queen claims five hits on the Hard Rock Digital Song Sales chart, led by "Rhapsody" at No. 3. It's followed by "Rock You" (No. 9), "Dust" (No. 12), "We Are the Champions" (No. 15; 2,000 sold) and "Under Pressure," with David Bowie (No. 16; 2,000).

Additionally, the band's Greatest Hits, originally released in October 1981, jumps 4-2 on the Hard Rock Albums chart as its greatest gainer, up 17 percent to 11,000 equivalent units (including a 21 percent bump in traditional album sales to 2,000).

Bohemian Rhapsody, starring Rami Malek as late Queen frontman Freddie Mercury, is set to premiere Nov. 2 in the U.S."

Queen's 'Bohemian Rhapsody' Biopic Trailer Sparks Title Track & Other Classics on Hot Rock Songs Chart

21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The David Bowie Story starring Tilda Swinton.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Tell ya what folks, she is as about to close to Freddie's vocals as I've heard so far. I'm very impressed, check out at 2:24 when she oooohhhhs, I think has to do with the upper mouth, that soft tissue next to the sinus's in the back and the overhang upper teeth, the amazing ability to control your chest and throat muscles, you deal what the universe gave you and don't mess with it! She blows it many times when pushing it, Freddie was effortless pushing, rarely straining a note unless he wanted to...that rock growl after the vibrato...who does that?? :love:

Very unique vocal study, all self taught!

mrjinks, thanks for that video :righton: :love: :wave:

And I think Freddie loved that performance...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    mrjinks likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Yeah, Freddie was behaving like a Rock Star, and had the misfortune of doing so during a period in history when there was a deadly disease that disproportionately impacted people who happened to be gay. I thought we liked our Rock Stars to engage in large amounts of recreational substances and debauchery.

24. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Not with midgets.... :tsk:

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well if the stories are true they were just hired to carry trays of cocaine around. They probably had fun and got paid!