Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody" first look

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Exactly.

2. PDK

PDK One-eyed sparrow watcher...babe

Like Ron's approach this was made for mass appeal, on a mass appeal budget, with the mass appeal expectations that go along with that. Of course, the surviving Queen's desire is to further their brand, profit, and future relevance.

Pleasing music geeks like us doesn't really make $sen$e in this context.

"Ben Hur" wouldn't have been the historic movie it became had it been written for theologians. It's a drama...not a documentary.

Of course, nothing can be worse than Ron's Beatles film. I'd rather drink a cup of phlegm than watch that piece of ****.

I'm looking forward to this.

3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Forum Resident

Well, then- enjoy your cup of phlegm.
    Personally I’d rather watch a subpar documentary than drink phlegm.
    But that’s just me.

BGLeduc likes this.
  4. PDK

PDK One-eyed sparrow watcher...babe

"I'd rather" doesn't imply I have to do either of those things. Thanks for the attempt at whatever it is that you did there.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. noahjld

noahjld Witchfinder General/ Das Boz Boz

Will this film explore Sir Freddie's homosexuality or will it gloss over that part of his life?

6. A well respected man

A well respected man Forum Resident

7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Forum Resident

Standoffish, Efus and 905 like this.
  8. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

There's some more footage here...

EVOLVIST and BeatleJWOL like this.
  9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

:eek:

10. It might turn out to be inaccuracy-laden but this is a fantastic looking film!

905 likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mercury was a good looking charismatic performer.

12. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Forum Resident

I'm sure that one of us here has mentioned it, but am I the only recording stooge that noticed the anachronistic Ampex 456 reel in the clips that are making the rounds?

I'm such a sad geek. ;)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  13. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Malek is good in Mr. Robot. My expectations are fairly high.

14. Plutonio

Plutonio Juju

Malek is a good actor but the characterization on this movie is awful. At times he looks like a cheap Freddie Mercury imitation. But anyways I’ll definitely watch this movie.

15. Anytime we know that we're not watching the real thing - in this case Freddie Mercury - there is a tendency to nitpick the piss out of it. That's understandable. Freddie was around in most of our lifetimes, so we're closer to the facts, rather than, let's say a biopic about Stephen Foster.

I hope, and have the feeling, that for a couple of hours at least, this film will make me believe. I don't have to carry it with me when I'm done; I just want it to do its job in the moment.

It looks like it will.

The casting of Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers, and Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong, on the other hand, is just too much of a stretch to buy into.

PDK likes this.
  16. A well respected man

A well respected man Forum Resident

I don't need exact look-alikes in a biopic. We have documentaries for that.

There's already Oscar talk for Malik's performance. It seems he is extraordinary in the movie.

Efus likes this.
  17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The movie was mentioned on the news tonight. It's getting a lot of coverage.

I was just watching this, a clip from Australia .... there's quite a few clips of Rami talking about Freddie / Queen / The movie...

18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I'll be curious to see how this turns out, but I think they should have cast Orphan Black's Jordan Gavaris

[​IMG]