Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, the wigs in the trailer had me laughing out loud. My god... :yikes: :rolleyes: :eek: :laugh:

will_b_free, Old Rusty and Flappo like this.
  2. I hear that. As a child of the 1970's I can only state that those hairstyles are somehow locked in time. Unattainable, ungrowable, and only available to those who were THERE, man. To everyone else, a wig will have to suffice...
    :righton:

Flappo and EVOLVIST like this.
  3. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

I'll but that for a dollar....and 20 bucks for popcorn. Looking forward to it. Anything to get these kids to dive deeper into this band and keep them alive, or any great band for that matter, is worth a couple hours in a theater chair. They are actually comfortable chairs these days. Before you know it, each seat will have its own catheter. Probably not a bad idea with the older demo still fans from back in the day.

4. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

dbz likes this.
  5. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

It looks good, but if they kill Freddie during the second half, I'm gonna walk out of the damn theater. They better have changed everything those rumors were describing, but nobody is here for a masturbatory flick about Brian and Roger and their struggles.

6. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I bet they aren't going to sell this movie on its plot but on its mystique and enigmatic character. It's like when Apple sell you a computer-- they don't sell you specs; they sell you sex.

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It sounds now like it's going to play out somewhat like Walk The Line, starting and ending with (or returning to, late in the film,) the same major historical event. The Cash movie wasn't so cleanly bookended but we'll see how the Queen flick goes.

The7thStranger likes this.
  8. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I'm down with it, I hope they do Freddie and the band some serious justice! Seriously, who could top them at their peak?? Freddie put many consummate showman in the shade :evil:, and as they faltered later on in some critics eyes and ears, they still pumped it up.

Old Rusty, I was THERE man :agree:, I KNOW what I saw in concert back then. No one cared a wit if Freddie was gay, Queen knew how to rock the Freakin' house down, and we loved every Freakin' second of it!!

Old Rusty, primejive and Flappo like this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched "Love and Mercy" and enjoyed it. Obviously made by a music lover! L i n g e r i n g scenes in the studio -- which I loved. I could have done without with the melodrama and just watched a reenactment of recording "Pet Sounds" which is what the best parts of this film were. The preacher from 'There Will Be Blood" was great, but John Cusack... eh. Lately, he's sleepy mascara without any pulse.

enro99 likes this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Love the Trailer. Looking forward to this! :righton:

11. Yeah, that was my only real problem with Love and Mercy - I like Cuasck in general, but he was seriously miscast in that movie. Just didn't look right, and indeed seemed more sleepy than narcotized a la Wilson.

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This is going to be like any other "based on a true story" biography movie with everything exaggerated, and some things embellished or just made up and of course we know how the story ends. Pass. I'd rather listen to some Queen music and I'll read a well-written biography if I want to learn any actual details.

Lost In The Flood and Flappo like this.
  13. manco

manco Forum Resident

Won't they just have him mime to Freddie? I mean no offense to Rami Malek, I'm sure he's excellent in the karoake lounge, but there is NO way he can sing like Freddie or he's be in a rock band.

Flappo likes this.
  14. manco

manco Forum Resident

I bet the film completely side-steps what how badly Freddie got ****ed up in Munich in the early 80s. That's where he did a ton of drugs and got AIDS.

Flappo likes this.
  15. manco

manco Forum Resident

Exactly. I bet the film never shows the 1979 Tokyo gig where he performs in black leather and a stormtrooper hat, or when he rode on top of Darth Vader. Or the party where midgets where serving up cocaine.

Lost In The Flood and Flappo like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Lots of speculation on what won’t be included. Let’s wait until it comes out and then we’ll see, hm?

I seriously doubt Malek will sing in this. It’d be almost impossible to recreate Freddie vocally.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  17. manco

manco Forum Resident

Nobody in history can replicate Freddie!

Honestly I bet this biopic totally skips Queen II(1974) where Freddie writes "March of the Black Queen" which is 10x more insane than "Bohemian Rhapsody".

thgord and Flappo like this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You’ve made three ‘bets’ so far on what the movie won’t cover. You’re likely going to be right on a couple, but why pan the thing before it’s come out? It very likely it will disappoint the ultimate fanboys, but the preview looked halfway promising.

As I said, let’s wait and see.

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I disagree.

Vinyl_Blues, GodShifter and Rhett like this.
  20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

So we need all that though? Is rather it be a film that celebrates his life and talent, rather than being some depressing morality lecture. It would be a real downer.

I mean in a Billie Holiday pic you need all that depressing stuff as it kinda defined her and shaped her, but Freddie wasn't defined by having AIDS.

21. manco

manco Forum Resident

Except the latter part of his life was defined by AIDS. If he doesn't fully engage in 'the lifestyle' back then, he doesn't get HIV and he's still writing amazing songs to this day. To pretend that debauchery(hetero/homo) is 'part of the deal' and excusable is not ok in my book.

Scott222C likes this.
  22. manco

manco Forum Resident

Marc Martell is a great imitation singer. But he can't write songs.

Flappo likes this.
  23. Man, the sort of movie some folks here would come up with would surely be a disaster. Putting various responses together, I imagine something like this:

First two hours: meticulously re-created studio sessions and significant live performances, intercut with scenes of Freddie doing drugs and having wild sex in various accurate locations.

Last half hour: Freddie dying of AIDS, as secondary characters declaim about his sexuality and the repressive climate of the day that kept him in the closet.

A Godard film, in short.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So, you’re blaming his lifestyle choices as part of his decline and death which is true, but he was a human being; he made choices, often reckless, and paid for them with the ultimate price.

I doubt Mercury would care if you thought his choices were “ok” in your book. I doubt anyone does. Let’s see the movie first and then judge.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Lost In The Flood and stuwee like this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I believe it won't go into the AIDS stuff. IIRC, one of the creative issues Sasha had was that he wanted to explore the negative aspects as well as the positive ones (such Freddie's declining health) but the band wanted to keep it largely positive. One comment I've read was the screenplay was supposed to stop at Wembley Stadium.