Rami Malek is Freddie Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Sep 5, 2017.

1. manco

manco Forum Resident

It's hardly an issue of what Freddie thought of detractors. The more interesting thing is what drove him to such incredible recklessness.

2. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Yup Marc Martel is the guy!

Marc doing Love Of My Life Live

3. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Vinyl_Blues and Flappo like this.
  4. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Marc Martel + Symphonic Queen - Live in Mexico 2018

5. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It may not be 100% but it's 99% and it's good enough for me.

Do you think Freddie would sound as good as he did in the 70's if he were alive today? I seriously doubt it.

GodShifter and Strat-Mangler like this.
  6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It's not 99%. It's quite a way off that. Marc Martel undoubtedly has a very good voice, but it's lacking that special something that Freddie's voice had.

As for your question, who can say? It's possible he could've still sounded great. I mean, despite getting so ill that he was staring death in the face, he still sang as well as he did on Innuendo and The Show Must Go On etc.

We'll never know.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  7. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Or this...

Michael Rose likes this.
  8. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I disagree - it's not way off.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There's no way I wouldn't be able to trick the most hardcore Freddie fan by playing that audition. Unless I warn them that it's not Freddie, they'd automatically think it was. it's normal for most to overestimate their (or others') abilities.

GodShifter and Rhett like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Yep. Guess they wanted broadway instead of somebody who'd nail the songs with the same flavour, much like Journey did.

Rhett likes this.
  11. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I realize Queen wanted something different in all fairness but to say Marc Martel is way off is laughable!

GodShifter and Strat-Mangler like this.
  12. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

And I think Marc is doing some vocals in this movie - is that correct?

He was doing vocals at Abbey Road Studios last September in 2017.

[​IMG]

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  13. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

:righton: Billy Squire - 'Love Is The Hero' (extended version)

Leave it to Freddie to never half-a** it on any recording for anyone.

Sondek likes this.
  14. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

There's no way in a million years I'd be fooled into thinking that's Freddie. I can't imagine any hardcore Queen / Freddie fan would fall for that. It's a different voice.

Silken and Michael Rose like this.
  15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

What's laughable is saying that's 99% close to Freddie's voice.

And what I said was "It's not 99%. It's quite a way off that. Marc Martel undoubtedly has a very good voice, but it's lacking that special something that Freddie's voice had."

I didn't say it's way off, I said it's quite a way off 99%. There's a difference. If it was 99% like Freddie Mercury's voice, then the voices would be nigh-on identical. But they're not. You can clearly hear that it's not Freddie Mercury singing (or perhaps you can't, but I can).

Michael Rose likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I saw one of those a few weeks ago. But seriously...

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

For what its worth, had Freddie led that lifestyle five years sooner, he would not have had to worry about AIDS. AIDS began showing up in the early 80s. While that lifestyle would likely have had other consequences, AIDS is AIDS.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  18. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Is that for certain where he got HIV? Thought this was only rumors and speculation.

Sondek likes this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That’s almost spot on IMO.

Vinyl_Blues and Strat-Mangler like this.
  20. Being young, having money, the expectations of being a "rock star" within himself, and without his self, the era in which he "debouched" himself, as you say. These are a few of the things. Freddie isn't the only rock 'n' rock casualty of the aforementioned choices, but his status as a gay man polarizes him, in a time when men weren't coming out as gay in any profession.

Consider the trials and tribulations that Freddie went through as a young gay man. Despite his mega-talent, he was also mega self-conscious in how he identified with himself and is environment outside of rockdom. So, imagine the chance of being worshiped, behind closed doors...he took it and ran with it, because he could. Freddie, like everybody else, didn't have a clue that AIDS would come around and kill millions. Before he realized it, like many other people, it was too late. Freddie wasn't immune from life anymore than anybody else. AIDS doesn't care if you have the the potential to makes more platinum records.

21. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Always thought he was bisexual.

The 70s glam black fingernail Freddie was a lot cooler than the 80s nightclub bear Freddie in my opinion. I know he said he couldn't do that look anymore at 40+ or whatever but I think it kind of corresponds to when I feel a total disconnect from their music as well.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  22. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

I know most people have probably seen this by now but just in case someone hasn’t I give you the London audience waiting for a Green Day concert :righton:

23. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

I truly can not believe I'm hearing something like this in this day and age, manco sir, you are entitled to your opinions on this matter, It really is all good. I'm calling you out on a very real matter that you might not understand yet...research is a friend...you are no better than anyone else here...and we are no better than you...

ralphb likes this.
  24. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

It's 2018 and we're still discussing AIDS/HIV on these terms?? Educate yourselves, play safe, be safe!!! We all have done things, respect your partner, Sheeze folks?? Freedie wasn't one of the lucky ones from those days, some of us ducked under the blade of the reaper! :hide: knowledge is bliss...

25. ThePinkFloyd

ThePinkFloyd Forum Resident

Queen 12/7/78 was my first concert and set the bar very high on what I should/would expect from concerts for many years afterwards. It still remains in my top three concerts I have ever seen. I look forward to seeing this movie.

Silken likes this.