Randy Meisner/Don Felder "what happened to them"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joelee, May 10, 2006.

1. joelee

joelee Well-Known Member

After looking at the "Best Bass Lines" thread I started thinking about Randy Meisner of the Eagles. Both he and Don Felder were tremendous talents within the Eagles. What happened and was the reason for their departure??
    I know Bernie Leadon (another great talent) seemed to have left the band on his own but I always wondered why Randy and Don left the band?
  2. reechie

reechie Well-Known Member

3. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I was never impressed by Meisner. He left Rick Nelson to help form POCO and was kicked out before the first LP even came out. He joined the Eagles sure wrote a big hit (Take It To The Limit) but he solo lps were nothing worth keeping and when POCO did a reunion a few years ago and cut a new album, Meisner just re wrote Take It To The Limit. He has since NOT been invited back to the current POCO line up.
  4. David Powell

David Powell Active Member

And in the your loss is my gain department, Timothy B. Schmit was Meisner's replacement in both Poco and the Eagles.
    Hep Alien likes this.
  5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I was wondering...What ever happened to THE EAGLES, in general?

I know...DON HENLEY happened!

Chris C
  6. Chief

Chief Over 9231 Served

I thought Meisner left Poco on his own to join up with Rick Nelson, which somehow brought him into contact with Linda Rondstadt's backing band, the Eagles. That said, when Poco reunited in 1989, I saw no reason for giving Meisner such prominence. Perhaps they/he thought that since he was in the Eagles he should have more prominence, but he was the weakest member of the reunion lineup in my opinion.
  7. Chris C

I agree with "The Chief", Meisner was the weakest member in the reunion lineup! His being there was truly strange. I can ONLY imagine that RCA RECORDS said that if you get Randy Meisner back in the group, we'll let you record a new album, since he was a "name", of course I could be WAY off? For me "POCO" was and always will be RUSTY's band! When Rusty is singing, I'm tuned in!

Chris C
  8. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

God how i wished Tim never left POCO. I wish he would get some sense in his head and quit this little part time gig and get back with Rusty, Paul and (sometime member) Richie Furry. With any luck, maybe George will get better and can rejoin them.
    Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Chief

Chief Over 9231 Served

I still think of Poco as Richie's band, with Rusty and Paul carrying on with the good work. Of course, their sound changed dramatically since Richie left in 1974, and Rusty and Paul are both excellent. Nevertheless, for me, Poco = Richie. Speaking of Rusty, I wish he'd play more pedal steel guitar. He's one of the greats, but for the past 30 years, he's barely played the damn thing.
    Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Chris C

I had the pleasure of meeting Rusty back in my radio announcer days, when he was promoting "THE SKY KINGS", which sadly, never properly happened. Rusty couldn't believe that I knew him or his songs and that made me sad. While I realize that THE EAGLES stole POCO's thunder and became "THE" country/rock group, POCO is still the best THE EAGLES ever sounded, IMO!

Chris C
    Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Chief

Chief Over 9231 Served

Man, that makes me sad too! It seems like a lot of these guys don't realize how much their work is appreciated - maybe not by millions, but at least by thousands. I met Paul Cotton in 1992 and complimented him on his last solo album and said I thought it was his best work since Cantamos. He seemed both shocked that I mentioned Cantamos, and genuinely appreciative of the compliment.

I think one of the ways some of these guys deal with seeing close (and often less talented) friends and associates go on to become famous millionaires is by minimizing their own work, "oh, it wasn't anything" or "those old records?!" Like that work is nothing or not that good, thus its no big deal that they didn't make it BIG. As opposed to the harsher assessment, "Man, my songs on Cantamos and Indian Summer are 10 times better than ANYTHING Don Henley has done!!! Why is he so famous, and not me?!" I imagine it could torture some people.
    Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Bernie is fairly well retired, and, last I knew from those close to Poco, back in Nebraska. He will surface time to time for various projects.
  13. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

I had the pleasure of seeing some of the first POCO gigs when they were called Pogo or RFD and Randy was a big part of the group, but they were all great. I heard a couple of stories about his exit from the band, but I wasn't there so I don't know how true they are. One had to do with Richie refusing to let Randy come to any mixing sessions and that leading to a standoff between them, the other had to do with problems with somebody Randy was associated with. Listen to those first few Eagles albums and there's no doubt, the man could sing a strong top part.
    Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

My post should read that "Randy" is fairly well retired, not Bernie.
  15. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Active Member

I accidentally acquired a copy of Don Felder's Airborne CD a few years ago. What a turkey that thing was. You literally could not give it away. Local used CD shops refused to buy it off me and didn't even want it for free. I suppose that this could be part of the reason he only made the one solo album.
  16. Chief

Chief Over 9231 Served

Did I ever mention you are my hero? Wow, you actually saw Richie Furay's Dream! Those shows are legends. :righton:
    Hep Alien likes this.
  17. pdenny

pdenny E Burris Stigano

I'll always have a soft spot for Randy as he wrote my favorite song on HOTEL CALIFORNIA.
  18. joelee

joelee Well-Known Member

I'm also a huge fan of "Try and Love Again".
  19. Buzzz

Buzzz Active Member

The guy had a great voice. Compare the album version of "Ol' 55" to the one from the Millennium Concert - the latter is well performed, and Mr. Schmidt is certainly no slouch on the highs, but there's something missing.
  20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Schmidt was the sugar and Randy was the spice...could never appreciate TBS...he ruined the Eagles as far as I'm concerned...

Randy was an integeral part of the Eagles vocals...just listen to Midnight Flyer, and just about every song he was part of...the man was essential to the Eagles vocal sound.
  21. rjp

rjp Forum Resident

meisner appears on album called "black tie". very country and he sings very little on it. the other member is charlie rich's son.

felder is just too good of a guitar player to not be doing something. hard to believe a band has not recruited him or formed around him.

renny
  22. Rosskolnikov

Rosskolnikov Designated Cloud Yeller

Well, it did have "Takin' a Ride" the most rockin' post-Eagles solo track. Buy yes, it paled next to Glenn's and Don's solo efforts.
  23. Rosskolnikov

Rosskolnikov Designated Cloud Yeller

Speaking of SKY KINGS, there is an excellent Rhino Handmade edition of their 2nd attempt at an album. But I cannot believe that RCA hasn't seen fit to release, in some form or fashion, their first sessions. At that time, the band was John Cowan, Bill Lloyd, Rusty Young, and Patrick Simmons. A true supergroup!
  24. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Active Member

This brings back some nice memories for me. I have the Black Tie LP and saw them live back in the late '80's. Along with Randy, the late Jimmy Griffin (Bread/The Remingtons), Blondie Chaplin (Beach Boys) and Billy Swan were in the band when I saw them. Randy and Jimmy were gracious enough to autograph my LP. :righton:

Black Tie's set included the hits that the band members originally played on, including "Sail On, Sailor", "Take It To The Limit", "Truckin'" and "I Can Help".

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion
  25. street legal

street legal Well-Known Member

:agree: I agree 1000%. It kills me that people think that Schmidt is the REAL bass player for the Eagles. He played on 1 lousy album!!! I'm not implying that "The Long Run" is a lousy album,
    I like it a lot, but ............. Randy played on most of their work,
    & his vocals were a HUGE part of their sound.
    Hep Alien and elainebenes like this.