Randy Meisner or Timothy B. Schmit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greatest Hits, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation Thread Starter

Randy and Timothy don't seem very similar and yet their musical lives run parallel.

When Randy left Poco, he was replaced by Timothy.
    Then when Randy left the Eagles, he was once again replaced by Timothy.

After watching the Hell Freezes Over concert, I was wondering what folks here thought of Timothy.

Which do you think is the better singer?
    Better bass player?
    Better songwriter??

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

"Schmit," not "Schmidt."

3. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation Thread Starter

Ooops!
    If a gort can kindly fix the poll, I'd appreciate it!

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Randy Meisner. The man wrote some great songs, had a fantastic voice, & was the original bass player for the band. Schmit was a replacement, plain & simple. When Randy left the band, it was not the same, IMO. He was a HUGE part of that band, & it makes me cringe when people refer to Schmit as "the Eagles' bass player". He was on 1 album!!!

agundy, MikaelaArsenault, Ern and 6 others like this.
  5. street legal

I honestly do not understand how in the world someone could vote for Timothy B. Schmit in this poll. He contributed virtually nothing to the band.
    One song. One song!!! And are you really going to care to admit that "I Can't Tell You Why" is one of the Eagles' finest moments?!?!?!? :rolleyes:

6. 905

905 Senior Member

I like them both, but went with Schmit

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I would say its one of their best songs.

8. Capt. Cadillac

Capt. Cadillac Forum Resident

I'll go with Randy Meisner, as I prefer the earlier country-flavored rock. The more pertinent question, though, may be "Bernie Leadon or Joe Walsh."

9. street legal

Fair enough. Musical taste is obviously a personal thing.

It's just that it p*%$@s me off when fans don't give Randy the credit he is due as a member of the Eagles. He contributed far, far more than Schmit ever did, that's for sure.

I had to laugh when I saw the Eagles 2 years ago. It was one of their usual "greatest hits" tours, & they just couldn't abstain from playing "Take it to the Limit". Randy obviously wasn't even on the stage. Pathetic.

10. street legal

:agree: I've pondered this often, myself. Both had much to offer, & as much as Joe Walsh is more of a household name, an equally strong case can be made for Bernie Leadon. Again, Bernie was a HUGE part of the band's sound in the early - middle period years.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Randy for me as well.

12. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Not even close. Randy Meisner.

MikaelaArsenault and Rick H. like this.
  13. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Randy Mesiner. Tim is a hired gun in the Eagles. His talentes were utilized more fully in Poco.

14. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I like them both. Neither one of them is the main ingredient anyway. Timothy is obviously more compatible with the creative element of the band so he deserves his props. He's a fine bass player and singer and has pretty hair. Randy was unique and the original but he doesn't get along with Henley and Frey. Things change. Enjoy each for what they are, I say.

Keep in mind, Randy quit. That's why he's not in the Eagles.

15. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I'm going with Tim. His songs with Poco were top-notch. He wrote only one for the Eagles, but in Poco he wrote dozens of songs. It's somewhat odd that he's known as the Eagles' bassist, when he spent the majority of career in Poco. The Eagles are much more well known, but that doesn't change the fact that Tim spent his best years in Poco.

16. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

Eagles? Where in the poll or title does it mention the Eagles?

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It doesn't but Randy Meisner and Timothy B. Schmit were in Poco and the Eagles.

18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

No question: Randy Meisner.
    Just listen to the bass lines in "Hotel California" (the song).l

19. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

Randy Meisner.

Again, no contest. Bernie Leadon. That guy can play anything with strings, including one mean banjo. I recall reading somewhere that even Joe Walsh considered himself nothing more than a hired gun in the Eagles.

20. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

My vote goes for Timothy B. Schmit. Altough similar, I prefer Timothy's voice over Randy's. My favorite song is Love Will Keep Us Alive from Hell Freezes Over.

21. 905

905 Senior Member

Timothy B. Schmit has written some of my favorite Poco songs. At the Poco album by album thread, we are currently discussing one of his best, 'From the Inside'.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Timothy B. Schmit makes me cringe...IMO, he ruined the Eagles...

23. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

I admit Randy has been more important to the Eagles, but Timothy stayed for a long run with Poco and contributed quite a lot of great songs to their canon. I always liked Timothy's voice a little better, as well as his songs, although they tend to be schmaltzy sometimes. Still, I can't tell you why remains one of my favoutite Eagles songs.

MikaelaArsenault and PDK like this.
  24. stevef

stevef Senior Member

Or...

Don Felder... or the guy who replaced him in the current line-up (to play Felder's parts) guitarist Steuart Smith.

I don't see how Randy Meisner's contributions to the Eagles can possibly be overlooked.
    As an original member of the band, Meisner contributed to the first 5 of the 6 Eagles studio albums and also sang lead on "Take It To The Limit", one of the Eagles' bigger hit songs IMO.
    Schmit was only involved with The Long Run.

Steve

25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It's my favourite Eagles song - love it. Takes me back to the summer of 1980 whenever I hear it :love: (I know it came out much earlier in the year, but it was played a lot that summer and I can still visualize the warm weather and that song playing). Great atmosphere to that track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.