Randy Meisner or Timothy B. Schmit?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greatest Hits, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

Randy Meisner by a country mile.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  2. Music lady

Music lady New Member

I like and respect Timmy! He was great with poco and his studio work is very impressive. I read an interview where he said nobody was asking to play their albums but they all wanted his voice! But in the eagles Tim mostly stands around. He has still got his pipes, nut eagles dont really use them. Hence adding Vince Gill to carry the high parts! T have tried to like his solo work but i just don't!! I want to hear the tim t hat was in poco when he looked care free and happy. For me it is randy hands down. He has a great voice, really good bass player, and has written some pretty darn good songs! Two many hands, is it true, take the devil, certian kind of fool, Saturday Night not to mention Take it to the limit and Try and love again! He has a pretty impressive studio list himself. I really enjoyed hos solo albums too he a few that went pretty high on the charts. Liked his poco reunion too! So for me Its Randy all the way! Tim might be as talented, but he has never found the way to showcase it since leaving poco! The Eagles sure havent given him that chance, but they paid him well! He is secure for life!

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

He's a very capable sideman, indeed. A true team player.

He is also one of the greatest frontmen, I've ever seen, when he & his band toured the Expando album in the U.K. a few years ago. He was mind-bogglingly good. had us all eating out of his hand from the moment he walked on stage. One of the top ten concert experiences of my life. Expando & Tim's most recent record, Leap Of Faith are highly recommended!

As to the Randy/Tim debate - they're both unique. They brought plenty to the table in whichever band they were with so for me but Tim's solo work is more consistent - so for me TBS - but only just.

Hep Alien and billnunan like this.
  4. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Which do you think is the better singer? Tim by a long shot.

Better bass player? Randy, but they're about equal, really.

Better songwriter?? Randy, by a long shot.

I voted for Randy. I really don't know the specifics, but by the time Randy left the Eagles, it was like a sinking ship with Frey and Henley chasing everyone away. Randy just seemed to get the short end of the stick.

5. Ryan Joshi

Ryan Joshi New Member

I voted for Randy over Tim. Randy was a founding member of the Eagles, and played bass in "Hotel California". Unlike Tim, Randy stood up for himself when Henley/Frey tried to take all the power. Randy should perform again. What would happen if someone yelled "Randy Meisner" when Don Henley was introducing Timothy B. Schmit at a concert? Same as Don Felder or no?

keyXVII likes this.
  6. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I could never say a bad thing about either, I've been a fan of both for like 45 years.

7. Ryan Joshi

Ryan Joshi New Member

Yes, both bassists are very talented, just in different ways

keyXVII likes this.
  8. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

I like them both, but probably preferred the Eagles when Randy was their bassist.
    Tim B.Schmidt is a super nice chap it seems - at least he is on one album of the classic era.

keyXVII likes this.
  9. keyXVII

keyXVII Forum Resident

Agreed, @Ryan Joshi! I voted Randy (preferred him in the Eagles); but I always loved T.B. Schmidt in Poco; both are very good.

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Randy.

Darryl

11. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I have to go with Randy Meisner, as "Try and Love Again" is one of my absolute favorite Eagles songs.

12. DanBNash

DanBNash Forum Resident

13. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Since it was asked which musician and not who contributed more to the Eagles:

Timothy B. Schmit

I just prefer his singing, bass playing, and his overall songwriting catalog (Poco, solo, session work, and the little bit he has been able to contribute to the Eagles--The Long Run and Hell Freezes Over are my favorite Eagles albums).

While I'm not not overly fond of Randy's vocal style and solo output, I would never take away from his obvious talent and contributions to the Eagles (ie, most of the Eagles biggest hits).

I'm just more of a Poco/Timothy B. fan overall.

Hep Alien, billnunan and carlwm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.