Randy Newman Compilations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary Freed, Jan 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of the things I've enjoyed the most about this forum is the diversity
    of music tastes. It's opened up my ears to music that I might have otherwise never explored.

I was recently browsing Amazon and came across the soundtrack from Toy Story. One thing led to another and finally found myself listening to the 30 second track snipets from Randy Newmans Songbook Vol 1 as well as The Best of Randy Newman.

I've now discovered that I really like his song writing and I'm ready to add Randy Newman to my collection.:edthumbs:

After searching our own forum right here, I read one poster who felt that the sound quality of the Songbook was compressed. I was wondering If others felt the same way and if so what do you recommend in terms of sound quality.

All the Best,

Gary:)

Listed below are the two CD's I came across at Amazon.

Songbook Vol. 1

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-8529166-3350248?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Best Of

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...rt_bow_2/103-8529166-3350248?v=glance&s=music

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Songbook is all rerecordings. Beware! If you want the orginals, go with the Rhino best of or the import Lonely At the Top.

3. stever

stever Senior Member

Yes, they are rerecorded, but still a FANTASTIC album. Instead of a compilation, why not try his two best albums -- "Sail Away," or, "Good Old Boys," both recently remastered with bonus tracks -- or you could buy the original vinyl! :)

4. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Jimbo nailed it!

:thumbsup:

mud-:D

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

[​IMG]

I have this CD. It stands as a very good collection of his best. Sound quality is quite decent.

But what I should have done is started at "Sail Away", and worked my way outwards. Because now I'm interested in most of his WB catalog, all so far have been mind-bending.

So I'd have to recommend Sail Away VERY highly as well.

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

This is actually a good idea. "Sail Away" is great, and you will probably recognize a few of the tunes right off the bat.

The SONGBOOK is great for an old time RN fan (like me), but you might be better off starting with the originals. The import "Lonley at the Top" is a good start, as is the RHINO set.

His most commercial disc was "Little Criminals" (Short People, Rider in the Rain, etc.), but to REALLY appreciate him, I would take stever's suggestion and start with those two disc.

Just MHO!!! :D

7. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I have the box Rhino boxed set, "Guilty: 30 Years Of Randy Newman." It was mastered by Lee Herschberg and sounds wonderful, as does the newer remaster of "Good Old Boys" and, for that matter, the older CD version of his eponymous debut (I think that's by L.H., too). Eveything else I have is vinyl from way back when, so I can't comment on CD sound quality.

I think the box is a wonderful introduction to Newman. 2 disks of album cuts, 1 of interesting rarities, and a disk of soundtrack work. Nice package and book. Worth the investment, although I'd also recommend just buying the whole lot of the catalogue in order in whatever form you love most. There are no *bad* records in the lot. Certainly everything up to and including "Little Criminals" is genius.

Otherwise, if I had to pick a record to start with, I'd pick "Good Old Boys" or "Sail Away."

L.

8. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

I would also recommend Nilsson Sings Newman (Buddha) -- Harry Nilsson's wonderful interpretations of many of Randy Newman's early classics.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

10. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

The box set is great, but I want to recommend 3 Randy albums that I think should be in every collection:

12 SONGS: dead stone classic. hasn't been remastered (thankfully?) and it sounds very nice.

SAIL AWAY: overtly political, hilarious and very tuneful to boot. The remaster sounds fine and the bonus demos are at least interesting.

BAD LOVE: If you're like me and could go the rest of your life without hearing "You've Got a Friend In Me" and songs in that vein, run and get this 2000 release. It's the return of the sarcastic, self-pitying Randy after too many years of soundtrack ditties. The Mitchell Froom production is a bit much here and there but the songs are so funny and enjoyable you won't care.

11. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

I have been a die-hard Newman fan for 30 years. Trust me when I say the new songbok cd is fantastic. He has re-recorded his own songs for this album, just him and his piano. His 40 years of skill an passion come through with crystal clarity. His live lp is great as well. I recently came across a french lp on ebay with him live, just wonderful. He is one cool guy.

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Real fans should also seek out the DVD (and LaserDisc) of Randy at the Odeon. A live concert at a club, with Ry Cooder and Linda Rondstat for a few numbers.

Linda does a "stunning" job on "Real Emotional Girl". That girl can really sing those quiet, emotional songs.

13. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yep, Jimbo scores! LONELY AT THE TOP is THE Newman sampler for song selection and sound quality....accept no substitutes!;)

ED:ed:

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Another recent Randy Newman release that kinda slipped under the radar is the new 2CD "Deluxe Edition" of RANDY NEWMAN'S FAUST. I was previously on the fence regarding the merits of FAUST, but listening to the disc with Randy's original piano demos of all the material (much of which is performed by the likes of James Taylor, Elton John, and Linda Rondstadt on the original album) has really opened the songs up for me and made me appreciate the official album quite a bit.

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Slipped under the radar is right... I had no idea that has been released. Faust is actually the one Randy album I'venever gotten around to buying, because I'm not a big fan of most of his guest vocalists. Randy's demos of the songs, though... I gotta check that out. That could be good.

16. Gary Freed

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The reissues sound a LOT better. Also, the reissues both feature numerous bonus tracks (Good Old Boys contains an entire bonus CD with Randy's original demo album that turned into GOB).

I would not buy the original CD issues at this point. Note that Columbia House carries the reissues of Sail Away, GOB and Faust (2CD version) if you're interested and a member...Got all three for about $7 each on a recent sale.

I'm not sure why Rhino hasn't yet reissued the first couple (Randy Newman and 12 Songs) or Little Criminals.

Kwad

18. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Damn,

Sorry Gary. I missed your response. :shake:

Kwad guy is correct, the new ones sound great and have extras. However, if you are just starting out and can get the originals cheap, you can start there, then if you like them - upgrade.

Either way, the tunes are fine!

:-jon

19. Gary Freed

Well, The copy of "Lonely at the Top" arrived today. The disc says made in Germany with a date of 1987. With great anticipation I put the disc in my
    Cd player. Very quickly I became disappointed in the sound quality.
    The disc says remastered by Lee Herschberg. Perhaps there are newer
    releases remastered remastered versions that I missed. The one I ordered which says made in Germany remastered by Lee Herschberg is not at all what I expected.

I read through the thread again and browsed through other threads to see if there was something I missed. Couldn't find it.

If this is the best sounding Randy Newman CD, then I won't bother
    searching out the other titles.

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I have a dissenting opinion, at least in the case of GOB. I prefer the original CD, mastered by Ted Jensen, to the remastered version. The original sounds smoother to me, the reissue a bit more aggressive to my ears. Not bad by any means, but I prefer the old CD. Of course you're right that the new one has that cool bonus disk though. I have not heard any of the other reissues, but I generally have no problem with the older discs.

21. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Don't forget the DVD Audio disc of "Little Criminals." Not the classic that "GOB" or "Sail Away" are, but a great sounding disc and his best selling to date (due to "Short People" and the Eagles singing "Rider in the Rain").

And then pick up "Land of Dreams." A real knock-out. I personally think it's better than "12 Songs," but hey, that's me. Plus you get to hear him rap.

Side note: "Sail Away" is Brian Wilson's favorite LP of all time. He listened to it continuesly while he composed the bonus EP for The Beach Boys' "Holland" LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.