Randy Newman new album of original material "Dark Matter" (08/04/2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Saw Mr. Newman in concert recently. Just him & piano. He played many songs from the new album and they worked even in that context. He said before playing "Sonny Boy" that it was his first time ever playing it live. It poured rain throughout the outdoor concert but no one seemed to mind. Randy seemed a bit shy, as if he really wanted his songs to speak for themselves. Great album, great concert!

Bemagnus and Captain Groovy like this.
  2. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Welcome, welcome, welcome to this Great Arena...

Dark Matter
    released on vinyl today, Aug 18!

Don't miss out - a true piece of art, pressed to vinyl, hasn't been a new RN studio release on vinyl day and date in 30 years!

The music is wonderful, and at the very least, have it in your collection so you are the smartest kid on your block when showing it off.

Pictured here: Artist, his piano, his vinyl.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]OK skip this, I guess no images are able to be hosted no matter what link I use. Sorry, great record. Released today. Out now on vinyl.

Jeff

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Once again I feel the need to state that Dark Matter is a true masterpiece and work of art. There are so many layers here both musically and lyrically that makes the album an embarassment of riches.
    The orchestration-scored and conducted by mr Newman himself are otherwordly. A rare treat really. The compositions are unique, complex and flawless. The lyrics are stunning in many ways. Hard to pick a favourite but the storytelling, arrangement and musical theme in Sonny Boy sort of samples everything I liked about Newman in the first place. But every track is a carefully constructed piece. I truly love this mezmerising album

4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I got tickets to see Randy Newman live for the first time. He'll be performing here locally on September 18 and 19 at the Birchmere, a favorite and intimate venue in these parts. I'm looking forward to a real treat, to see and hear this living legend up close. I don't go to many concerts any more, but I couldn't miss this.

Bemagnus and Captain Groovy like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Such a stunning album this is-only gets better with each listening. A true masterpiece

hodgo, AGimS, BeSteVenn and 1 other person like this.
  6. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

I had not seen Randy Newman since the early 80's at the Berkeley Comm. Theater but had kept up on his solo output and enjoyed some of it more than others. Got a chance to take my wife to see him in Lowell, Mass a bit ago and heard some of the tunes off of his upcoming record at the show and was very excited. I bought a cd copy of this release when it came out and have been playing it endlessly. My older sister loved Randy from his first LP and as soon as I "thought" I could understand him I started to buy his records for myself (Good Old Boys) and fell deeper into his web. Well, I am amazed at how sharp and fruitful this record is. So well written and scored/ hurtful to hilarious/ top notch work to my ears. Randy Newman a National Treasure!

Captain Groovy and Bemagnus like this.
  7. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Yes.

8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Naturally, having always been a fan of Randy reaching into my heart and tearing it right out of my body ("Ghosts", "I Think It's Going To Rain Today", "Every Time It Rains" and the demo of "My Name Is James" from the 4-CD box set), I keep going back to "Lost Without You" from this new album.

Only Randy Newman could sell that heartbreaking ending so perfectly ...

"I'm lost out here,
    Baby, I'm lost out here,
    I'm lost out here ... without you"

9. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I saw Randy in concert Monday night. Good show and funny stories between songs. It was pretty much based on his recent solo-piano albums (Randy Newman Songbook, vols. 1 - 3) with two or three songs from Dark Matter thrown in for good measure.

10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  11. Captain Groovy

Was with him last night - you couldn't have posted this yesterday :D

Great news! Thanks!

He's playing "Brothers" just amazing well on vocal and piano... see him live if you can. If anyone's ever been on the fence about seeing Randy live and there are still tix avail wherever you live, GO! Seeing Randy solo piano is a sublime experience. And he is ON.

Randy Newman

Jeff

Beaneydave and pghmusiclover like this.
  12. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Well I'm playing this album more and more and when I'm not it's playing in my head!
    I think this maybe the album , if you could only pick one , that has everything that is Randy on it.
    This week it's "Brothers" and " Lost without You" that are my standouts.

peace and love✌Dave

Captain Groovy likes this.
  13. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Love this album, definitely one of my top albums of the year

14. joeym3

joeym3 Forum Resident

This is an amazing album. By far, my favorite of 2017. Impossible for me to listen to Wondering Boy, without feeling what he's singing about.

D_minor likes this.
  15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I say, "Let's give Randy the Grammy right now!!!"

chickendinna and Reader like this.
  16. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Just discovered this release about a week ago. Played it over 20 times. Amazing in every respect!

Beaneydave likes this.
  17. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I saw Randy Newman last night in Durham, NC. I'm at a loss for words. There are different types of concerts, but this was far and away the best concert of its kind I've ever seen. One man with one piano has the whole house eompleteky engaged from the first to the last note. The sound quality was excellent - you could hear every word, an advantage I'd guess of stripping everything down. He could be rolling barrelhouse piano and cynicism one moment and have you in tears the next.

Do not miss him! I beg of you... it was a lifetime experience.

18. Captain Groovy

Mind if I borrow this perfect description of your experience? The first three lines of the first paragraph and last line of first paragraph. I'd like to add it as a quote to the unsolicited quotes who saw him.

Quotes around it - they are your words. Permission to use outside of here for independent promo/review purposes only?

I truly believe everyone should read your words... and then get in. More shows coming up before he heads to Europe!

Thanks!

Jeff

19. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Jeff...Yes, you are welcome to share this in any way you like. If it leads to one more person having this experience, I'd be happy.

20. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Captain Groovy, since this album seems to be doing very well as far as reviews etc. has it sold more than Randy's other releases? I hope he is happy with all the great reviews. I don't think I've seen one negative word about it.

If possible, remind him that I (and others, I'm sure) still want to hear a Randy Newman Christmas album next year. That should give him a laugh, although I am serious. I know it's too late for this year. Remember if Dylan can do it I know Randy would do a great job. If not that, maybe a Fats Domino cover album. I know I've mentioned both these a few times but they are the two specific things I would love to hear.

Been listening to Mr. Newman's albums since the first and am always impressed. I'm easy I guess, but that's ok.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  21. Captain Groovy

He's very, very proud of "The Great Debate" - when discussing, he picked that one when I was talking about him being at the top of his game in terms of cinematic arrangements and arranging orchestra re: Dark Matter.

This was an album he wanted to make. Different from being pushed into the studio as a young man!

Ha - yeah, that was brought up on an interview with Terry Gross on NPR back '98, so he made an off-the-cuff, brief "It's a Randy Newman Christmas" song. :D

I've always wanted him to do a covers album (even though he has some great unreleased original blues songs himself) called Randy Newman's Midnight Blues - covering Fats, Arthur Alexander, "(New Orleans) Hopscop Blues" (old Bessie Smith song), "Basin St. Blues"... songs he genuinely loves. Perfect to sell/listen to at coffee shops.

BTW, if you ever listen to Bessie Smith SOLO with Fletcher Henderson on piano (no orchestra), I swear - it sounds like Randy is accompanying her. You can youtube "Bessie Smith - Outside of That" if curious!

Anyway, I am really glad people ARE loving Dark Matter - absolute masterpiece IMO. Obviously my favorite album of 2017. An album meant to be heard on a good system.

If I had to pick a favorite... here's "Sonny Boy" - with Randy's handwritten lyrics. Just love everything about it.

P.S. No Randy solo album will sell as many copes as the first Toy Story soundtrack (over one Million sold). Not by a long shot, no matter how many reviewers throw 5 stars at his albums.. *grr*

It's music you have to LISTEN to. Not just have on in the background until you've actually listened first IMO.

Jeff

Reader likes this.
  22. Reader

Reader Senior Member

He is just one of the greats. It is a shame he doesn't sell millions and millions but at least there are enough of us who have followed all his work over the years so that it gets released. I just hope he has many more new songs to come and also the desire to work on, finish and release them for us.

Does he have enough unreleased material to do some kind of unreleased/ bootleg release like so many others are doing now? I hope he does realize that he has many who care about his work and consider it important.

23. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

I hadn't picked up Dark Matter yet when I saw the show in Durham. I was astounded that The Great Debate on records starts out in my home town!

24. Captain Groovy

Randy has songs out there right now I think are just amazing, but not released on a music format yet.

The Meet the Parents soundtrack has two fantastic Randy originals, but very few people have even heard them. If more people bought this stuff, interest would be much greater in more. Check out "We're Gonna Get Married" and "Crazy 'Bout My Baby" - from 2004.

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.