Rank the Who's Live albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ash006, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

water and daughter were strange rhymes

Zack and Mylene like this.
  2. kiff

kiff Forum Resident

Bought this LP and Meaty Beaty as my first Who records back in 81 or 82. The whole Kampuchea show is on YouTube and is a great argument against the Kenney Jones haters. These 79 shows were very energetic with very solid drumming. The only other live KJ material available was Who's Last which was an absolute downer on many levels.

davers likes this.
  3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Nope.

4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Live At Leeds

TKAA

Live in Texas

VFaBSP

Who's Last

5. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'd say Kamapuchea confirms Kenney did not belong in The Who. Just not the right style and fit.

john lennonist likes this.
  6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

'And maybe somebody's daughter" is just an icky line anyway.

7. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Sung by Roger, but probably meant for Keith. :)

originalsnuffy and Zack like this.
  8. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Honorable mention

Surferghost and joelee like this.
  9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Bah. Kenney-era was just one of a number of The Who incarnations. And nobody is a superhuman that likes every The Who incarnation, from mod era to the present day. But there's not doubt that every The Who incarnation have its highlights, so Kenney-era too. I saw The Who live in London in 1979 and they were great.

10. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

P.S. Another great perfomance from the Concert for Kampuchea 1979.

linclink and davers like this.
  11. jimi55

jimi55 Forum Resident

I'm a Live at Leeds fan.

12. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

1. Live At Leeds
    2. SF ‘71 (when it finally is released)

Beyond that, I’m usually just happy that The Who are on.

13. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Or Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus"

14. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I was at the legendary 1971 show in San Fran.

Probably some permanent hearing loss from it (damn, they were loud) but it was the 2nd best concert I've ever seen -- mind-blowingly great!

[​IMG]

15. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

The Who is not just Leeds. I love the Isle of Wight 1970. Or Monterey 1967 (which I have not seen mentioned here). The Backstage Pass was a nice compilation, mostly for the San Francisco 1971 tracks. The German tv show from 1981 is nice for the later era. And naturally all the concerts mentioned are nice. I do not want to rank them.

Svetonio likes this.
  16. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

1 Live at Leeds.
    2 Other stuff.

17. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

I don’t think it’s been mentioned but the Kilburn ‘77 DVD is pretty fun to watch. Pete was pretty animated and it’s about the last Keith performance- not at his best but his fair beats most people’s best lol

Svetonio likes this.
  18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This has come up a couple of times. It's a decent enough performance, and the Shea Stadium Blu Ray makes a great companion piece.

About time for everybody to let Who's Last go. Live from Toronto is the whole show. The biggest problem with Who's Last was that it was an MCA release, and therefore new songs from the 2 WB albums weren't included.

Instead if recycling the same cliched blast after 36 years, maybe it's time for everybody to just let it go.

Surferghost, Svetonio and tdavis0903 like this.
  19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

You definitely need Who’s Last. One of the best live performances ever

Svetonio likes this.
  20. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Agreed on Who's Last, it was released at a time where there was so little officially out there, and beyond some stores that had "alternate recordings", tape trading, taping off TV or radio, and traveling music shows usually at local hotels, all of which I was taking part in by age 16-17, it was hard to find anything in any great quality. It is a quality recording, and there's more fire than anyone ever gives credit for, and sadly does not match some of the overall intensity of the Toronto and Cleveland shows that it seemed to come from (and Seattle for Magic Bus.) The Wolfgang's Vault reels that were released several years back show a lot more intensity and have excellent separation and are a truer view overall for the '82 tour.

Below are the shows that something official or semi-official is available and all offer something to this avid Who fan. Is my list here complete for the tour?

First North American leg

21 September 1982 Landover, Maryland United States Capital Centre rehearsal full audio WV and Eminence Front video
    23 September 1982 some video appears in Who Rocks Schlitz commercial
    9 October 1982 Toronto Canada CNE Stadium supposedly one song on Max RnB Twist and Shout
    10 October 1982 East Rutherford, New Jersey United States Brendan Byrne Arena full soundboard on WV
    12 October 1982 New York City Shea Stadium almost complete audio and some video on official and semi-official sources from both nights including Max RnB DVD and selections I have on old VHS
    13 October 1982 New York City Shea Stadium complete video and audio source that includes selections from night before above
    20 October 1982 Seattle Kingdome complete video but lacks one channel at times
    21 October 1982 Portland, Oregon Memorial Coliseum full audio WV
    25 October 1982 Oakland, California Oakland Coliseum Arena 3/4 complete audio WV (jaw dropping The Quiet One!)
    27 October 1982 San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium complete video but quality drops off on audio feed, still a favorite

Second North American leg
    27 November 1982 Orlando, Florida United States Orlando Stadium complete unofficial video from soundboard multi-cam
    1 December 1982 Biloxi, Mississippi Mississippi Coast Coliseum 2 opening songs local news video coverage
    4 December 1982 Dallas Cotton Bowl selection of songs soundboard audio/video from Who site (where is the rest???)
    13 December 1982 Richfield, Ohio Richfield Coliseum some appears on Who's Last
    14 December 1982 Richfield, Ohio Richfield Coliseum some appears on Who's Last
    16 December 1982 Toronto Canada Maple Leaf Gardens full satellite tv show practice run out there and video sources plus audio from WV soundboard source
    17 December 1982 Toronto Canada Maple Leaf Gardens full satellite tv show and video sources plus audio from radio and WV soundboard sources

21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

A great DVD indeed.

22. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

1. Leeds Deluxe - although I grew up listening to the original LP version as a regular short, sharp, shock, it's good to have the whole thing.

2. Fillmore East 1968 - waited many, many years for this, and it was well worth it.

3. Young Vic 1971

Honourabubble mentions for Hull, Isle Of Wight, the Texas '75 DVD, Toronto 82, and the Shea Stadium DVD.

And we really need the San Francisco 71 show, the Spectrum and Largo shows from 73 and the Swansea gig from 76 to finally get some kind of complete official release. Post-Keith, The Concert For Kampuchea (the whole thing as opposed to the snippet released officially) is a solid performance throughout that also deserves some kind of complete release.

23. ash006

ash006 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good chatter guys, I'll probably grab Live from Toronto and the Kilburn '77 as well. And I guess I'll have to break into someone's house to get the View from a Backstage Pass? I don't see any copies on fleabay...

24. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The Shea 82 audio is far superior to Toronto 82.

dee likes this.
  25. ash006

ash006 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oooh, first Toronto 82 is better than Who's Last and now Shea 82 is even better than that?! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.