Rank the Who's Live albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ash006, Oct 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Shea sounds like I heard back in 82. John is loud.

2. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

'Live from Toronto' is not an official release. It's a dub of the VHS that was released shortly after the tour ended. This grey area product, so I don't think it should be in the same category as the official releases.

Regarding 'Who's Last', I think the main issues with this release were the lousy vocal mix and the lack of material from 'Face Dances' and 'It's Hard', which you pointed out.

I would welcome a well mixed official CD from the '82 tour.

3. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Good, good, ok, good, great, good, ok, bad and ok.

4. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Then you will pretty much be done. Can't think of anything else essential or even that good you will be missing.

5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Live from Toronto was put out on CD.

6. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Yes:). Lol

7. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Don’t worry, it pops up on eBay quite often - just keep checking.

8. Spanish Prisoner

It's a grey area release. Both the DVD and CD are simply dubbed from the Video tape that was released shortly after the '82 tour. It's not an official live album.

9. Say It Right

Shrug. I'm not here to debate the source or label that released it. The original comment was just to dispel the myths, surrounding Who's Last and, by extension, a farewell tour. For all intents and purposes, The Who were done...until Live Aid. Yet, the same remarks have persisted for over 35 years, especially on this board.

10. ash006

ash006 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow really, is it affordable?

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Kampuchea confirms that, by 1979, Pete was an alcoholic.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  12. Spanish Prisoner

I didn't realise that there were any myths surrounding 'Who's Last'. I've always thought that it was a mediocre (at best) piece of product released to fulfill a contract.

That being said, the 'Live in Toronto' CD and DVD are unofficial releases on some label called 'Immortal'. They are sourced from the video of the final Toronto show released in the 80's, I believe it was titled 'The Who Rocks America'. The same label has put out several releases like this based on 80's videos of varying quality. These are not official releases, although they may be available from Amazon or other mainstream retailers.

So, again, I think for the purposes of this thread, we should stick to discussions of official live albums and avoid these grey area titles.

13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Pete has substance issues

14. Say It Right

Nobody else was bothered by it but you. Another poster mentioned it, got a couple likes. My reply got a few also. Then you come along, being argumentative, a know-it-all and try to instruct what *should* be mentioned in this thread.

Another choice: you can stop replying to my posts and drop it. The discussion was already forgotten, and was originally intended to be a one post contribution. Considering this only is at 4 pages, it's clearly not a big issue with anyone else. OK?

15. Spanish Prisoner

Frankly, I'm surprised at you angry response. All I've done is point out that the Live in Toronto release is unofficial, and therefore doesn't fit the parameters of this thread.

This was not an attack on you. However, you seem to have taken it as such. There's not much I can do about that except to reiterate the facts.

If you want to have a discussion about bootlegs and un-authorized releases, that's awesome, but I don't think this is the proper forum to do so.

16. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Live At The Royal Albert Hall from 2000 has exceptional moments. There are guests, but there’s also enough performances by just the band to make it worthwhile. Their 2000 tour was among the best tours they EVER did, without question.

Dave Armstrong and Rufus rag like this.
  17. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Usually from $25 - $60, just depending on the seller. There were several copies pressed as they used to sell them at Who concerts at the merchandise tables, so it isn’t all that hard to find a copy.

18. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Leeds! both the two original US copies with all inserts I might add, and the magnificent 3lp reissue with "Tommy"

ash006 likes this.
  19. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

hard to argue with Leeds/Hull...

Albert Hall 2000 was my live introduction to The Who, though, so that will always be special. Some guests are strange choices, but overall the band kicks a***e, and it's strange to look back at now. At the time I thought they looked so old, but watching it now, they look quite young :) I hope they release it on blu ray one day...
    Concert for New York is another gem. They stole the show that day.

From the post- Entwistle era, I really like both Isle of Wight and Tommy at the Albert Hall.
    Hyde Park is not shabby either....

ash006 and CrazyBrown like this.
  20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Very strange to see a "best Who live album" thread dominated by discussion of the 1982 tour. I mean, I've never even heard Who's Last.

I don't see why now, this is the proper forum and thread for such a thing. Otherwise the discussion is limited to a handful of shows. That said the Quadrophenia portion of Philadelphia '73 is essential for even casual fans. Such a shame it hasn't seen an official release.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    IDwithnoE, ash006 and WhoTapes1 like this.
  21. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

So my original post focused on audio only releases, so took a look at the various official DVDs in my collection.

1. The Kids Are Alright - While not 100% concert footage, but this film made me a Who fan. Explosive is the best description I can give.
    2. Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 - Making up for placing the audio so far down my initial list. Great seeing the group during the Tommy days.
    3. Thirty Years of Maximum R&B Live - Great comp, plus really enjoy the Live at Rockpalast 28 March 1981 bonus disc on the re-release.
    4. The Who Live In Texas '75 - Great energy, performance & quality
    5. The Who At Kilburn: 1977 - Not Keith in him prime, but fun, plus the Coliseum concert from 14 December 1969 is s great historical find.
    6. The Vegas Job - The Who was truly back as a tight unit.
    7. The Who & Special Guests: Live at the Royal Albert Hall - I love this release mostly due to the focus Entwistle gets throughout.
    8. The Who Live at Shea Stadium 1982 - Good representation of the It's Hard tour.
    9. Live in Boston - First tour without John Entwistle. Not one I return to often.
    10. Tommy and Quadrophenia Live - Capturing shows from two of their reunion tours. Fun, but not the blistering rock associated with most of their career.

Others
    Who's Better, Who's Best - Mostly mimed clips from shows, but still fun.

Amazing Journey: The Story of The Who - more traditional documentary than TKAA, but some great clips and stories about the band. If you can track down the 3 disc version, there is a near compete Live in Chicago 1979 included.

I cannot comment of the recent releases. I've enjoyed the concerts I've attended over the past decade, but haven't picked up any of the releases.

22. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

For me, Live at Leeds was an instant reminder of the concert I attended the year before in Anaheim.

23. ash006

ash006 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I do think that unofficial releases should be left out, however live performances, concert videos can absolutely be discussed!

Excellent, always been curious about their post-1982 stuff...

Nice, I hear good things about it!

Isn't any copy of Leeds with the inserts brutal expensive?

24. Dave Armstrong

Dave Armstrong Forum Resident

You're missing the 23 October 1982 Oakland Coliseum - my first Who concert. :D

The Who Setlist at Day on the Green 1982 #3

Sure wish I had audio and/or video of this show. :cry:

25. Dave Armstrong

Dave Armstrong Forum Resident

What is number one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.