Rare 45rpm picture sleeves

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wie Gehts?, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

Any serious collectors of picture sleeves here? There was a time when every payday meant a trip to Rockaway Records in Los Angeles or Mr. C's Rare Records in Orange County to feed my habit.

I liquidated my collection years ago, but recently came across a pic of what had been the crown jewel of my collection: the impossibly rare sleeve for Decca 31900, Rick Nelson's "Fire Breathin' Dragon." Most discographies don't even acknowledge the existence of this particular sleeve.

Attached Files:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I wore my hair like that in 5th grade. The next year it started curling. (Drat!)

Picture sleeved 45's were a lot of fun back then. Remember Jan & Dean's "Surf City" sleeve?

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Dreamcatcher,

Very cool!:cool:

As I recall, in the collector's market, picture sleeves are often more desirable than many actual 45's.

It would be interesting to see more!

Thanks for posting the Rick Nelson.

Bob :)

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I still love and collect them, currently have about 400 or so. I have all the Beatles US Capitol sleeves (except for the one similar to IWTHYH (man I hate getting old)), all the Stones except SFM and Dandelion, and lots european sleeves N. Young, Dylan etc.

5. Wie Gehts?

I couldn't dredge up "Surf City," but feast your eyes on this work of art: :laugh:

Attached Files:

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I had that in stereo, and I dont know what happened to it.

I'd love to get an MP3 of it....

7. RetroSmith

You know what I have? The Picture sleeve for the SWAN 45 of "She Loves You". I dont see a lot of those around.

Wonder what thats really worth....

Mikey

8. Wie Gehts?

Bob, your wish is my command! This is a great site:

http://www2.excelr8.net/allowell/rps.html

There are several pages, so don't miss the "next page" link at the bottom. The fabled "Street Fighting Man" sleeve is here, too. (I think I posted this a few months ago, but the new folks might be interested, too.)

9. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Dc,

Many thanks! I could spend all day looking at those - they are addictive!

Bob:D

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Those are great sleeves, Dream!

The Capitol ones were designed by the artist George Osaki. Recognizable to an entire generation of Baby Boomers!

That "Little Peggy March" sleeve must be foreign. The RCA logo looks different....

11. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Does anyone know if the 2 Jefferson Airplane sleeves (on page 2) My Best Friend and To Love Somebody are US?

12. RetroSmith

Boy...you NEVER see a Terry Black 45, let alone a Picture Sleeve. And "Everyone Can Tell" is SUCh a great record.

Terry is a guy that doesnt have ANY decent collections out.

Boy, what I wouldnt give a for a nice remixed greatest hits of Terry Black.

Steve.......

13. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

I liked the inclusion of "That Thing You Do" by the Wonders on that page. Fits right in...

Ryan

14. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I have one. Depending on condition, $50-$150. Also nice if you have a red/white label copy to go with it.

ED:cool:

15. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

"My Best Friend" could be Canadian(maybe even Mexico?); logo looks like it, and Canada would have used the same 47-number the US did(Whitburn's guide does not list a PS). The other is from overseas, possibly Europe.

Where's Mr. Neely? His name's on the thread; be fun to hear from him.

ED:cool:

16. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I used have almost all of the original Beatles 45 picture sleeves minus the Vee Jay "Please Please Me" sleeve and the two Capitol EP's. Unfortunately I had to sell them at a time when I found myself unemployed and extremely short of cash. Ditto with my Motown pic sleeve collection which was almost complete. I even had an Eddie Holland sleeve that wasn't listed in any of the major collectors book. I still collect pic sleeves but not the real big money ones. My collecting jones has moved on to more expensive and dangerous fare. Since I started playing several years ago, I have a guitar fetish that won't quit!!!! I've got a bunch of them(another soon to arrive:D ), and the only reason I don't have more is that I'm left handed and good lefty axes are hard to find.:angel: :D :angel:

17. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Rare Van Morrison sleeve from my collection ;)

Attached Files:

18. Donovan - To Susan On The West Coast Waiting pic sleeve

I have an original Canadian 7 inch of "Crown Of Creation" / "Lather" on that red RCA Victor label I posted in the record label thread. Label number is 47-9644. Ed, why do think that "My Best Friend" pic sleeve is Canadian? It looks like a standard American pic sleeve to me.

Attached Files:

19. Rolling Stones EP

Rare Canadian Rolling Stones mono EP. Same pic sleeve and label number as the Decca U.K. issue, IIRC. Where's Tim Neely? :) Friend of mine gave it me in the mid 1970s along with a Canadian Who pic sleeve of Anyway Anywhere Anyhow. They belonged to his older brother.

Attached Files:

20. Neil Sedaka - The World Through A Tear

RCA "generic" type pic sleeve from the 1960s.

Attached Files:

21. Who - Anyway Anywhere Anyhow

Wonder why it says "Happy Jack" on the pic sleeve. Decca must have been trying to cross-promote the "Happy Jack" album or something.

Attached Files:

22. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

That would be Can't Buy Me Love. One of the hardest to find. I'm only missing that one and the Four By The Beatles EP sleeve.

23. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Here I am! :D

I'm pretty sure I've recently added the Rick Nelson "Fire Breathin' Dragon" picture sleeve to my price guides. (And it's tied for the most expensive of his sleeves.) I don't do much with non-US sleeves (or records, for that matter) in the guides; where would I ever stop if I delved into imports? Of course, I wonder the same thing with US releases. :laugh:

I don't own many really rare sleeves, but I have contacts who own most of them, and they've enabled me to add some wonderful illustrations of hard-to-find sleeves to the guides.

And yes, in many cases, these picture sleeves are worth more -- often considerably more -- than the 45s within.

On that Canadian Decca Who sleeve -- that picture sleeve was used in the US for "Happy Jack." That's why it says "Happy Jack" on it.

The rarest US Beatles picture sleeves are:
    "Can't Buy Me Love" (Capitol)
    "Ain't She Sweet" (Atco)
    "Why" (MGM)

After those, the first Capitol EP sleeve (and the record, too) is tough; other toughies include "She Loves You" (Swan), "Please Please Me" (Vee Jay), "I'll Cry Instead" (Capitol) and "The Long and Winding Road" (Apple -- try to find this is near-mint condition; this white sleeve shows ring wear disgustingly easily).

If there is such a thing as a common Beatles picture sleeve, it's some of the post-breakup singles such as "Got to Get You Into My Life."

24. Wie Gehts?

Tim,

In my experience, "Dragon" was many times more scarce than any of Rick's other sleeves, including such tough ones as "Come Out Dancin'" and "Easy to be Free." Which one was "tied" with it in terms of dollar value, in your assessment? Thanks!

25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Alone" backed with "Things You Gave Me" ...

I've heard about the rarity of the "Fire Breathin' Dragon" sleeve for a long time, though. I might have been going through one of my bouts of conservative valuation when I put the price on that one....

I've received much help on my Rick Nelson listings from a major Nelson collector and several picture sleeve fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.