Rare CDs - What Are The Rarest

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jun 30, 2019.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

talking a little about rare CD's here. not off the wall bands that no one ever of but you, but well-known artists who released CD's or had CD's out there for a short time that got pulled for one reason or another.

artwork non-withstanding, if it was in the public, even for a milli-second and you did not secure yourself a copy because you were either lazy or cheap or both. and now you would do just anything to get your hands on one.

here are a few:

neil young - time fades away - HDCD on reprise, promo only - no art work - never released.

10cc - the original soundtrack - no artwork again. there were once quite a few out there, now, gone.

madhouse - prince - i think there are 2 of them, i have personally never seen either.

neil young - 'big time' CD single - with the b-side 'interstate'.

CSN - 'live it up' CD single with the b-side 'chuck's lament'.

CSN - 'replay' - austrailian only release.

CSN - 'allies" - neither the domestic (disc made in europe) nor the japanese can be found.

Mr.La Page and davers like this.
  2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by this. :confused:

3. rjp

'the original soundtrack' was available without any artwork for a short time about 5 or so years ago.

it was a steve hoffman mastered gold disc.

4. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Oh, ok, a SH mastered gold disc. I thought you meant the album on CD in general.

audiomixer, somnar, hi_watt and 4 others like this.
  5. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Oasis
    (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
    With the withdrawn song: Step Out
    :):):):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    4 For Sale from $339.77 :yikes:
    [​IMG]
    More Images

Oasis (2) ‎– (What's The Story) Morning Glory
    Label:
    Creation Records ‎– CRECD189P
    Format:
    CD, Album, Promo, Withdrawn Version
    UK
    Released:
    Genre:
    Rock, Pop
    Style:
    Brit Pop

Notes
    Withdrawn 1995 UK promotional-only 13-track CD album which includes "Step Out" which is NOT on the regular album.
    This has the same cat no as the revised 12 track promo version.
    There is a bootleg copy version of this release that has the same catalogue number and track listing, but it does not have the white 'Compact Disc' sign above the 'Promotional Copy Only' and is missing the small white writing around the outer edge. Also, the copy version has a double black concentric ring in the centre, just like the blue concentric ring on the Oasis 'Slide Away' copy.
    Card sleeve.
    **There is now a newer bootleg fake copy of this release that has all the right printing, (Compact disc sign and white outer writing) but it only has 11 tracks.**
    Promotional Copy Only.

℗ & © 1995 Creation Records Ltd.

The song Step Out was removed from the "What's the Story" album because of its mimicry of Stevie Wonder’s Uptight (Everything’s Alright). Noel Gallagher’s vocals follow a similar pattern to Wonder’s in the original song. Stevie Wonder demanded Oasis pay him 6 per cent of the royalties because of how similar it was to the chorus of his song “Uptight”. They didn’t want to do that, so it was omitted from the album.There weren’t any lawsuits over the song. ISWC entry for "Step Out" credits Wonder, Cosby and Moy as well as Gallagher.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    aravel, garrincha, Tim 2 and 17 others like this.
  6. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Roy Wood's Mustard and Eddie and the Falcons.

7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Moby Grape, self-titled (1967) -- was finally remastered and sounds wonderful, and then Matthew Katz went to court and killed it. :realmad::realmad::realmad:

He is definitely one of the thieves and pimps who run free in the long plastic hallway (so Hunter S. Thompson).

8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

In 1997, a one disc "Sandy Denny at the BBC" CD was released and immediately pulled that day due to licensing issues, instantly becoming an extremely rare disc. However in 2007, a 4 disc comprehensive set was released (3 CDs + 1 DVD), making the first set obsolete. I'm sure its still rare, but its contents were superceded several times over content-wise, so demand is no longer there. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

Muzyck, anth67, Alan2 and 8 others like this.
  9. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Pretty sure it's only the artwork he owns, so don't know why they didn't just reissue that CD with a different cover.

vonwegen and michanes like this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The first can be had on Amazon for $32. Prices are only insane for the second.

longdist01 and bataclan2002 like this.
  11. rjp

greg allman - one more try - doubt we'll ever see this again.

Mojo7575, kcmaxx, ARod and 6 others like this.
  12. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Recently acquired the 1995 USA Capitol CD releases of the last two Stone Poneys albums, one of them sealed. Those go for a nice bit of coin on the web

audiomixer and billnunan like this.
  13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Are you sure about the Neil Young "Big Time"/ "Interstate" CD?

I'm pretty sure I have one.

14. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

I just paid $300 for this one yesterday. It's the most I ever paid for a CD and I hope to have it in my hands within the next week or two. And while I had been trying to license this one from Universal for two years, nothing has come of it. So I figured I could die tomorrow so might as well buy the original CD now because a reissue isn't happening. That is if the tapes weren't part of the fire anyway.

Torch Song - Exhibit A

lechiffre, Sauli, deredordica and 8 others like this.
  15. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

16. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Rob Jungklas - Closer To The Flame was released as a promo CD in 1986. In more than 20 years, I have only seen one copy for sale on eBay.
    Rob Jungklas - Closer To The Flame

17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Well, since we're throwing out 'not well known artists' :laugh:
    Fatal-Periodic Breathing. Promo only.

Dan Steele likes this.
  18. rjp

well known artists only please.

19. rjp

yes sir, very hard to find. its the only place to get 'interstate'. which is a very very good tune BTW.

BNell and ARK like this.
  20. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

For me, personally, it's the Flower Kings Fan Club CD 2000...

Got every rare thing I want, but man I can't get that thing, and I've been trying for 15 years...

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I believe “ Interstate “ is from the Ragged Glory sessions, so it might end up on the upcoming reissue that was mentioned a few months back.

vonwegen and ARK like this.
  22. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Probably not expensive, but some copies of Dream Theater - Images and Words have the entire AC DC Back in Black on the disc with identical packaging to it's 1992 press...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I didn't know that! Is this song now part of the deluxe set that came out a while ago?

Man at C&A and LilacTeardrop like this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I didn't think the big Time single was that rare. wow. Had mine for years

Add:

Elvis Costello--Clown Strike US promo 2 track The only place to get Do You Know What I'm saying on cd
    OST Planes Trains and Automobiles--only place to get unique tracks by Steve Earle, Dave Edmunds, and Emmylou Harris
    Dylan--Most of the Time US promo single with live version

vonwegen and enro99 like this.
  25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Weird!

klockwerk likes this.