Rare Lennon interview who wrote what ? Lennon and McCartney

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by helter, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

What's so significant about the last 10-15 years?

2. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

And what is the threat? As long as he keeps her away from a microphone and anything that can amplify sound I see no threat .

Six Bachelors likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm basing this on several conversations McCartney has had in interviews. For example, with Howard Stern in the early 2000s, Paul basically said, "I have to deal with Yoko on a lot of business matters, so I have to be careful what I say here." It was clear that he walks on eggshells on certain issues. I think it's fair to say he picks and chooses his battles. My inference was that things were fairly hostile in the 1980s and 1990s, but have gotten much better since those years.

4. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

but doesn't the publisher have the main say on things like this, " I am going to buy your songs " ...

5. muffmasterh

hey buddy engage brain before posting please will you, the post i quoted was not my own but from poster " Kermit27 " and i was thanking Kermit27 for confirming that the source was Ringo ....and whats more if you read the post it says " Dick Lester suggested the title ....FROM SOMETHING RINGO HAD SAID " unless of course you are deliberately taking the Dick lester thing out of context to try and make your point ???

PS i am not offering facts but what i understand to be the case, this is not a fact as such as i do not know the truth for sure but what i have said about Ringo has been now supported from another poster , the only person who is claiming to know the FACTS is you as you have said that it is a fact that John wrote ALL OF A HARD DAY'S NIGHT !! Well he may well have done so but HOW COME YOU ARE SO CERTAIN THAT THAT IS A f a c t ???

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

As John was alive at the time and didn't comment on or otherwise refer to the WOA practice of McCartney-Lennon, I'd bet he was OK about it. After all, the Please Please Me LP credits all the songs McCartney-Lennon too, so it wasn't even setting a precedent.

theMess and Zeki like this.
  7. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Because John said so, and nobody else has claimed otherwise, unless you count Paul saying 'I think probably I had something to do with the middle eight' is cast iron proof that Paul obviously wrote it. I don't understand how you can possibly make a judgement if you simply ignore the only actual statement we have and instead 'feel' that because "they never sang it if they didn't write it" (oh yeah? Where does it state that? Is that another of your invented laws?), then the singer must have written it. It ain't so.

8. foxylady

foxylady Forum Resident

George Harrison also said in an interview that "ER was Paul on his own"
    http://www.beatlesinterviews.org/db1966.0822.beatles.html

theMess and Zeki like this.
  9. Give peace a chance. LOL

Your confusing different points with different people, mine was that John wrote that phrase before the instance cited by John and Lester on Ringo's malaprop - which ultimately was inspiration for the song title - at Lester's suggestion - which John went on to write the song.
    It was NOT Ringo Making a song title provision as was suggested by you on your post, page 7, last post: your quote-

"ps didn't Ringo provide the title, others have had a songwriting credit for less...."

That's all I got.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  10. muffmasterh

1) show me a Len/mac song where Paul or John has sung lead on a section they did not write or not contribute to ..... there well may be one but i do not know of it but i could easily have missed something, perhaps you can help me ? If not then Einstein would probably something like that a law
    2) We do not know for certain that John was referring to the section sans the middle 8
    3) amazingly you say " I don't understand how you can possibly make a judgement if you simply ignore the only actual statement we have " immediately after you mention Paul's claim so are you aware you just contradicted yourself.

Look i am not saying FOR CERTAIN that John did not wrIte all of it but I certainly would not be surprised if Paul did at least contribute to that middle 8, but the fact is I DO NOT KNOW. and that is the difference between us, I am uncertain and i feel i have good reason to be uncertain............... but you of course KNOW IT......

Seltarb likes this.
  11. muffmasterh

yes lol my apologies for letting your post irritate me but I think you can see now I was quoting and thanking a different poster. I should have engaged my brain before i wrote the second paragraph lol !!

Are you saying John coined the phrase A hard days night before Ringo used it ?? John himself would seem to claim otherwise and that it was Ringo's malaprop..in fact i think i have heard John say this in a tape interview.

As regards to a songwriting credit that is a little different. In different bands that might well have warranted a credit but i was just highlighting that, when John or Paul say, " i may have contributed/helped on a line in that ", both George and Ringo could make similar claims many times over i am sure. In reality they did not warrant a credit imho but many other bands have joint band credits for many of their songs, i was merely highlighting that the whole band were often part of the creative process and that should be mnaybe more recognised. George may have provided a riff or three for example but would not expect a credit for it....others in other bands might however. That is all i was saying, i was certainly not angling for a songwriting nod to Ringo

peace and love peace and love lol !!

12. helter

helter Forum Resident Thread Starter

13. muffmasterh

i think that is a reasonable assumption, i am sure that somebody would have brought WOA to his attention. Yes he may have been too busy to worry about making a fuss about it or past caring but i still see both sides to the argument.

14. Are you saying John coined the phrase A hard days night before Ringo used it ??

Yes

Words were written for book, then book published , dates were prior to song written date.

Again:

John acknowledged that he used it in the book prior to the song/movie title, but still credit's Ringo:

"I was going home in the car and Dick Lester suggested the title, 'Hard Day's Night' from something Ringo had said. I had used it in In His Own Write, but it was an off-the-cuff remark by Ringo. You know, one of those malapropisms. A Ringo-ism, where he said it not to be funny... just said it. So Dick Lester said, 'We are going to use that title.'"

Sheff, David (2000). All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono. New York: St. Martin's Press. ISBN 0-312-25464-4.

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

According to a list put together by a Pers Myrsten, Sweden (found on internet): there is one song.

Paul's "Every Little Thing", from Beatles For Sale, sung by Lennon. Of course, I just double checked post 5...and find that, according to Lennon, it's a co-write! So doesn't appear that this song qualifies (or comes under the "disputed" category).

Edit: I see lostchord addresses this song way back on page 1 of this thread, with McCartney pretty much indicating he wrote it. Which swings it over into a solid grey "possibility" area! :D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  16. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Sure. A Hard Day's Night. Paul didn't contribute to it but he sings lead on the middle eight.
    We sure do. In John's own words "Paul only sings on it because I couldn't reach the notes".
    Not at all. John's is a definite affirmative statement of authorship, Paul's is a vague "I dunno, maybe, I'm not sure". You still clearly see them as having equal weight but they obviously don't.

John says he wrote all of it. Why are you so surprised? They could both write songs you know. Are you surprised that John wrote the middle eights of Things We Said Today and Michelle? That he wrote "30%" of Here There And Everywhere? No, these things are of no interest to you, despite showing that John contributed to what many consider all-Paul songs. Yet you deny John's authorship of A Hard Day's Night because you'd "be surprised". Well I guess you're surprised then.

17. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

And it's a co-sung song, too- every word of it is sung by John and Paul together at the same mic.

theMess likes this.
  18. muffmasterh

hmmm well i see now how you could interpret it that way but it is still not how i interpret it, if you take it your way then John is saying that Ringo used the term innocently and without any regard to John already having coined the phrase. If that were the case surely John would have said something like " Ringo was repeating the phrase i wrote in my book in front of Dick Lester so dick lester said. If Ringo was using a phrase already coined by John why did John call it a Ringo malaprop, when it was in fact then John's malaprop in the book which Ringo was just repeating ( and I cannot believe then that John would not think Ringo hadn't read his book and simply nicked it from him )

PS i cannot find my copy, what was the publishing date of the book?, I always assumed it was summer 1964, around the same time as the Movie and record....

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I just edited my earlier post because I thought I recalled an earlier mention of this song. lostchord thinks it is co-sung as well.

20. muffmasterh

" 1) show me a Len/mac song where Paul or John has sung lead on a section they did not write or not contribute to
    Sure. A Hard Day's Night. Paul didn't contribute to it but he sings lead on the middle eight "

ok now i know sorry i did not realise you were just taking the p*ss. thought you were being serious, the jokes on me lol !!

Seltarb likes this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The book was published on March 23rd 1964, it was galley-proof read by December 21st 1963.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
    Paperback Writer likes this.
  22. muffmasterh

i definitely contributed to the middle 8 I think...!!

23. Kermit27

Kermit27 Forum Resident

Yeah, it was totally out before they made the film -- you can see a copy on the mantle in the dressing room scene!

theMess, Paperback Writer and nikh33 like this.
  24. muffmasterh

yes now you mention it I think there is a scene with probably John reading it, I'm not sure of the exact shooting dates but it would have been around March 64 as well....

25. Trixie Jones

Trixie Jones Raining in my heart

Yes, George is a more reliable source than Pete when it comes to the songwriting process, but in the interview you posted George was talking about the recording of the song, not its composition.

theMess, foxylady and Kermit27 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.