RARE Sonny and Cher

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cherbette, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Probably my favorite Cher album. :righton:

2. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

But hopefully you have the original UK version, because the U.S. version released months later is all remixed with some songs' length edited, and other songs missing altogether, and even a generic 'rap' thrown into one track.

3. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident Thread Starter

I believe the rap version only appeared on the US CD single for One by One (not the maxi just the single) but was not on the album. Rap was by Melle Mel. Unless you are talking about the poem she reads right before the Gunman on the UK version

4. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

No, the rap during One By One is definitely on the U.S. CD of the album. It was part of the reason I didn't keep it. Roommate has a copy of the U.S. CD.

5. cherbette

Hmm...I just drug out my US copy with the hologram on the cd...no rap during One By One. I do however have the CDS with the Melle Mel rap.

6. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Really? I coulda swore! Oh dear, my failing memory. I'll drag out roommates copy tomorrow, but I'll take your word for it. Sorry about that. :wave:

7. cherbette

No need to be sorry at all. It could be possible that some of the pressings were done with the rap?

8. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Actually it's "Baby Don't Go -- Sonny And Cher and Friends" US Reprise R-6177. The copy I have here in Japan is mono and that's really the way to go IMO. I've got the stereo issue back in the US and it's two-track stereo (instruments in one channel, vocals in the other). I prefer the mono.

Their cover of "Love Is Strange" is an all-time mid-60s classic. Totally overlooked and totally cool.

Dale

PS: sorry I couldn't rotate that one jpg...

Attached Files:

9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well, I also jump Cher ship around the time of Geffen era - she lost the incredible soul in her vocals with the new 80's AOR direction and though she had a couple of great tracks here and there ever since she was simply not the same since 1980 or 1982. I love her 60's stuff, some of it simply unbelievable, but IMHO she peaked in the 70's (in every possible way!:D) My Top 5 Cher albums are

1. Dark Lady
    2. Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves
    3. Two the Hard Way (with Gregg Allman)
    4. Mama was a rock'n'roll singer, papa used to write all of her songs (Sonny adn Cher)
    5. Halfbreed

10. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Since we're with Sonny & Cher connoisseurs here, I have a question:
    Where does the solo Sonny Bono song "Laugh at Me" come from? I've always loved this song, but I don't know what the story behind it is. Is it a b-side? A cut from a solo Sonny album?

11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I bought the US cd first and later got the UK version after discovering it was superior in every way. The UK cd also sounds a lot better.

No "rap" on my US cd, though, from what I recall. This is perhaps another case where there was more than one mastering of the album.

12. cherbette

Sonny had a solo album in 1967 called Innverviews. Rhino Handmade released it on CD in its entirety believe it or not around the time Sonny died. Laugh at Me is not on the original LP however. It was a single ONLY release. Antonkk...have you ever heard Cher's album Stars from 1975? I was surprised to see it not listed in your top 5 favorites.

13. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I like Stars but IMHO it's not one of the strongest 70's Cher releases. I prefer I'd rather believe in you 1976 and Cherished 1977 over it, not to mention her classic 1971-1974 era.

As Laugh at me - I think it's on lots of Sonny and Cher comps. Great Dylanesque tune.

14. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

It was written by Sonny out of his frustration with being made fun of for the way he dressed and the length of his hair. Appears on The Wondrous World Of Sonny & Cher 1966 album (and CD in mono), and was also a single A-side.

"Laugh at me and I'll cry for you."

15. cherbette

Oh I forgot Laugh at Me actually made it on the original Wondrous World album. He actually had a hit with Laugh at Me. And also a minor hit with The Revolution Kind. Both actually very catchy songs!!! and I agree with antonkk I'd Rather Believe In You is GREAT!! Cherished has some great material on it....but Cher was very disinterested with the project and you can tell by the lack of enthusiasm in some tracks and the weak production...almost like they just took the demos for some of the tracks and used them. Pirate, War Paint and Soft Feathers, LA Plane, and Dixie are my favorites on Cherished. I definitely enjoy Silver Wings and Golden Rings, Long Distance Love Affair, Flashback (could have easily been a top 40 hit with some airplay and promotion), and the title track to the 'I'd Rather Believe in You' album. Cher was pregnant with Elijah Blue Allman (Gregg's son) during the recording of this album. The liner notes say Thanks to Elijah for waiting until after I finished my album. hehe

16. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

It might be interesting for some to see the Billboard singles information for Cher:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      8.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      61.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      17.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      68.3 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
  17. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Sonny & Cher

Attached Files:

• s1.jpg
      s1.jpg
      File size:
      8.2 KB
      Views:
    • s2.jpg
      s2.jpg
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
    • s3.jpg
      s3.jpg
      File size:
      45.1 KB
      Views:
  18. cherbette

Strange some songs aren't included...Pirate off the 1977 Cherished album peaked at number 93 on the Hot 100.

19. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

The print is small, but it's there between One By One and Save Up All Your Tears.

20. cherbette

If it was a snake it woulda bit me

21. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

"Baby Dont Go" underdub in stereo?

>>>>Nope, you dont. "Baby Dont Go" is in rechanneled and VERY badly done fake stereo on the Stereo version of that LP. The only good thing about that Lp is that there are some really rare tracks by The Lettermen and Bill Medley that werent released on any other Lp, and in stereo also.

22. bencasey

bencasey New Member

First I'm hearing that there was an entire Sonny and Cher LP that was recorded on WB. Is it confirmed to exist or just a rumor that it might exist?

23. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I don't know for sure but I would love to hear it! Plus I never heard the singles she did with Phil Spector in 1975. Any links?:wave:

24. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Chances are tho, that its not very good......those two werent exactly enthused about performing at that time.

25. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

The mono sounds fine, but IIRC it does have harmonica on Baby Don't Go.

Well, I disagree with that about 1000%. Those Caesar and Cleo tracks are great and very tough to find on 45. When you do find them, they're usually trashed. The Caesar and Cleo cover of Love Is Strange is one of the best covers of that song ever done IMO. It's a great mid-sixties arrangement and production. Well worth seeking out that LP, especially in mono.

Not to forget the tracks by other artists--some interesting stuff there. But the focus is Sonny & Cher/Caesar & Cleo and that's the easiest way to get those rare tracks.

Just my two cents.

Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.